Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Modifying battery packs

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Modifying battery packs

Old 01-17-2004, 01:17 AM
iroks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying battery packs

I was recently given a Pico Cub for an xmas present. Since it's my first R/C I have taken my time putting it together wanting it to be right. Also, everything was sent to us from a model shop hundreds of miles away so popping back into the store isn't an option and where I am located is miles away from any R/C model shop.

Anyway I was told that I could modify the battery pack sent to me with this plane. Because they didn't send the exact battery pack for the plane as intended by Multiplex. I was sent a pack which was based of 7 batteries next to each other in one long row.

Obviously this won't fit into the plane so the model shop I got it from said I could take the casing off and change the layout of the batteries to fit into the plane. There are flat metal strips that connect each battery and I had to remove one of them to do this. Putting it back on I think I may have done it slightly wrong.

I used a bit of superglue to hold the metal strip onto each battery and I only realised once it was done that I should probably not have done this. Does the superglue act as a barrier between the batteries, or will the current still flow? There are sections of this strip that do touch the battery but not as much as originally.

Should I remove the strip again and just place the metal strip on and put tape over the batteries to hold it all together?
Old 01-17-2004, 01:22 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Modifying battery packs

YOU MUST SOLDER THE CONECTOR BARS ON! Glue will not work!
Old 01-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Crayon

Just heat the joints with a soldering iron, and apply solder to your super glued tabs. The heat and rosin will burn off the super glue in short order.

Make sure you use 60/40 rosin core electical solder, not plumbers lead with acid flux
Old 01-17-2004, 08:57 PM
iroks

hey thanks for the advice - really appreciated
Old 01-18-2004, 02:15 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Also, make very sure that the cells are connected in series, positive (+) end of one cell to the negative (-) end of the next.

Jesse