Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Simple training quaifications

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Simple training quaifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Willdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Simple training quaifications

Jwardus, Skier. - Getting closer to the truth every day!
Old 05-28-2004, 03:32 AM
DownSideUp

We have only one guy at our field who has been instructing. Since he doesn't get to fly his own stuff during the weekends, I volunteered to take a bit of the load off of him. He was glad I did. I have a couple of guys that I am helping now and I don't have any criteria for when they are going to be ready. I think it will just depend on if I have to let go of the button too many times, you know what I mean? I think having a list gets a little out of hand. I think most instructors can tell when a person is ready to be cut loose or not. If your thumb gets sore, then let 'em go.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:58 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: DownSideUp

If your thumb gets sore, then let 'em go.
That's the smartest thing I have read in this thread.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:40 AM
wfbland

well here in western australia we have a basic safety test and flight check list that the instructors must sign off on after a time period that can be from a few weeks to a few years depending on the student which is very similar to the list at top of this page it is a great idea for a pilot to understand where he or she may be at and also from an insurance pilot it seems that we will have to be accredited it some way or other
happy landing bill b
Old 05-31-2004, 09:48 PM
lovforflight

I have read through this entire forum and have become increasingly annoyed at all of the "rules and regulations" that flying fields are imposing on novice rc flyers. I am a commercial pilot that has sattisfied all of the "rules and regulations" that the FAA has required of me to attain my certificates. I have recently decided to dive into the world of rc flying because of my enjoyment of flight. Stall and spin recovery training for people flying 5lb. model airplanes seems absolutely rediculous. Any person enforcing these kinds of rules is nothing but an arrogant control freak. Don't take the fun out of flying for the rest of us.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 PM
lovforflight

I have read through this entire forum and have become increasingly annoyed at all of the "rules and regulations" that flying fields are imposing on novice rc flyers. I am a commercial pilot that has sattisfied all of the "rules and regulations" that the FAA has required of me to attain my certificates. I have recently decided to dive into the world of rc flying because of my enjoyment of flight. Stall and spin recovery training for people flying 5lb. model airplanes seems absolutely rediculous. Any person enforcing these kinds of rules is nothing but an arrogant control freak. Don't take the fun out of flying for the rest of us.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:36 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: lovforflight
Stall and spin recovery training for people flying 5lb. model airplanes seems absolutely rediculous. Any person enforcing these kinds of rules is nothing but an arrogant control freak.
I think that sums up the way I feel about this thread also. I couldn't put my finger on it before but that seems to hit the nail on the head for me.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:54 PM
wings

I agree,

And why the hell does this thread stay at the top of the beginners page? I am sure I am not the only one that is sick of looking at it.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:31 AM
Willdo

Yes! it's getting through!
Just basic safe fun is all that's needed.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:56 PM
zetor

Our club requires 3 take offs and 3 touch and go's from both directions. I believe that's all that is required. I think that's mainly for the people to get a feel of where the trees are. Several people have lost their planes in the trees on one end of the runway. I never thought too much about the dangers of the hobby until a few weeks ago. I was flying and had a plane come so close to my head that it hit my antenna on my tx and bent it. It was his first takeoff and he was on a buddy box. That's close. I've been very jumpy when other planes are in the air ever since.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:01 AM
DownSideUp

That's too close!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:07 AM
zetor

I just read the original post. I thought I had read it before but I can't remember. I really don't think there is anything unreasonable in it. It is broken down into steps. Here is how I interpret those steps. Somebody correct me if I am wrong in how I interpret them.

Step 1 Member must know rules (sounds reasonable to me)
Step 2 Airplane is put together right (Sounds reasonable too)
Step 3 Radio works ( well that might be a little extreme)
Step 4 Plane test flown by instructor (Reasonable)
Step 5 This one has several sub steps but they all boil down to the student being able to do
controlled flight (I like people having control when I'm at the field)
Step 6 This one sounds to me like a one time deal where you show you can fly your second bird after your trainer.

Was the original post edited from having to do rolling harriers under a 2' limbo pole or something? I really don't see any problems with that list.

Stalls and spin recovery: I don't know if it is necessary or not but a person will at least learn how to do it.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Willdo

ORIGINAL: zetor

Was the original post edited from having to do rolling harriers under a 2' limbo pole or something?
Yes that was the bit that worried me the most, the rest I could cope with.