Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hello, Need some help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hello, Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Ashes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, Need some help

Hello to all. I am new to the forum. Been lurking for quite some time however. I have begun my first plane and have run into a problem. I am building a PT-40 and have had no problems up until now. When drilling the landing gear holes one of the blocks looks to have had a flaw in it I was unable to see. Long story short the block broke while drilling. So my question is how can I fix this short of ripping out the broken block and starting over. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also would like to thank everyone that contributes to this forum for all the tips and help a newbie can find here.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hello, Need some help

Replacing the block is your best option. But "Depending" upon the damage, you could drill it out a little farther and insert a dowel of the same size and then try remounting the gear. Make sure you strengthen it a bit more.
[&:]
Old 03-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Ashes

Thanks for the response. The damage is not that bad really. One corner of the block broke off as the drill bit got about halfway through. I have used 30 minute epoxy to glue it back on, as well as fill the damaged hole. I am in the process of strengthening the block with some ply also using epoxy. My only fear is that this weak spot in the landing block is going to cause me problems in the future. If it doesn't look up to the job after I am through I will just have to take it out and replace it. Being this is my first plane and problem with a plane how intensive of a job is it to remove a piece that has been epoxyed? Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:12 PM
radcon56

good luck!! your best bet now is to work with what you got.the idea of putting a dowel in the hole then redrilling is a perfect solution.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, if I'm reading you right, it doesn't sound like it's anything to worry about.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Ashes

Well I believe I am going to take the block out. I am being really picky I know but I think it will bug me to no end knowing there is a sub par portion of the plane. I have begun taking the block out and am at the point of no return. So any suggestions or hints on the easiest way to get epoxied pieces out I am all ears. I think these little stumbling blocks will do me well in the future, as I will know what to avoid, how to avoid them and how to fix the unavoidable. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:45 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Easiest way to remove a landing gear block that has been epoxied in... use a razor saw.

The Ex-Acto and Zna (and a few other brands)razor saw will give you a clean straight cut at the front and rear of the block.

Then to get the ides cut free, CAREFULLY make the cuts with a heavy razor knife blade. A "Stanley" box/utility knife is what I would use, as most of the hobby knives would snap thier blades. (you might snap the heavire blade if youtro to go too fast...

Cutting it free as you pass under the side blocks in that model wll be difficult... you can go ahead and chop the block you are removing into little pieces if needed. (you are throwing it away... why bother trying to get it out in one piece?) then use a file or sanding stick to smooth off the surface

Go ahead and cut out the side of the fuselage parallel to the top of the landing gear block and when you put the new wood in... just strech the hardwood out flush with the side of the fuselage. MUCH easier than trying to cut it out any other way (and the new block will be more secure.)

The repacement landing gear block will need to be appx 1/32 to 1/16 inch larger (front to rear to make up for the sawblade width. I would use the same size hardwood as original... and laminate on 1/64 ply to fill the gap. Might as well laminate on 1/64 ply on the top of the blok too... This will (almost 100%) prevent another case of grain splitting when drilling.

note: A sanding stick is just a scrap piece of wood that you have glued sandpaper on. You can make them any size or shape desired. Dowels for smoothing wing fillets, flat sticks for reaching in palces such as this case... inside shaped for leading edges. Whatever is needed to get the job done quicker and more accurately.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:35 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't already started, I'd leave the darn thing alone! This is a trainer and it's going to have quite a few dings and holes in it within the next few months; and as Mike (Minnflyer) already mentioned, it doesn't sound as though it's a real issue anyway.
Dennis-
Old 03-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Ashes

I would just like to thank those that gave me some input after my first newbie mistake. I ended up getting to worked up about it and was already removing the block when I read the suggestion to not worry about it So I went with FHHuber's suggestion. Thanks for the insight. Although I am a little upset with myself as to how perfectly I matched up the hole in the fuse with the new Block I am pleased with the experience of having to think "outside the plans". As this was my first major mishap while building I was obviously quite discouraged but with the helpful and supportive replys I recieved I am more excited to actually get this plane done and begin my instruction. Thanks again for making this place so warm to newcomers.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:00 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep workin'!!!

Flying weather is just aroung the corner!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:27 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

That gave me warm fuzzies [>:] What works really good is to have a healthy dose of devil take it and some beer in the fridge. Armed with liquid courage and a dremel there isn't much you can't do!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:27 PM
phread59

Good job, glad you got it squared away. I am just like you, I know it should be ok,but I know it is there. It drives me nuts. Oh well I hope the rest of your project goes without a hitch.

Mark Shuman