Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which One?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 02:46 AM
tito_rianto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which One?

I'm new to RC Airplane, and wanted to buy one. I've done several research but still not knowing is the best.
I've come to three choices:
1. Hobbico SuperStar Select MKII RTF - 40
2. Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 MkII
3. Megatech Nitro Airstrike - 46

Please advice which one is the best for beginner, or there are any good planes should i count on.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 04:05 AM
Zandona

Default RE: Which One?

I don't know man but as far as I know sometimes it's a good idea to start with electric trainers, they are cheaper and easier to fix although they don't perform very well on windy conditions(+5mph).
Old 03-23-2004, 04:23 AM
randy41

Most all trainers are good now days. But you ask for the best and in my opinion
that would be the sig LT-40. You will get a wide range of opinions on which is
the best.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Jumpnjoe

I can only speak for the Hobbico NexSTAR (RTF). I would definitely recommend it. It comes with a simulator for the exact plane, and you use your own transmitter that comes with the plane to learn on. Go to the local hobby shop and find out where the local flying field is and go talk to people. Find out for yourself what you would like to learn on.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also take a look at the Alpha 40
Old 03-23-2004, 09:48 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As has been mentioned, pretty much any trainer today is pretty good, but of the three you've mentioned I'd say go with the Hobbico Superstar. The Megatech Nitro has a LOT of bad reviews. Hard to put together, parts that don't fit, that sort of thing, and there was a recent post about the Thunder Tiger, but ONLY one.

Now, I'm only recommending a glow powered trainer IF you have an instructor! These planes are fast and relatively heavy, and if you're trying to teach yourself, one of these probably won't last more than a few seconds.

If learning on your own, go with a good electric foam plane, like the Aerobird Challenger. And get a simulator!
Dennis-
Old 03-23-2004, 08:40 PM
tito_rianto

Hi.. Thanks to all for prompt reply,
I will look for LT 40, NexStar and Alpha 40 as another options.

A friend of mine suggest to go directly on GAS Powered Engine rather than electric. It is more fun and realistic, thus flying electric and engine in an open area will not have the same characteristic.

I choose to buy a RTF because its simply, Ready to have Fun, Cheaper and a Factory Best Product... so what do you think of it? is it true?

Again thank you all.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

I learned on an Avistar equipped with an OS46FX. A great combination. The Avistar has a semi symmetrical airfoil which allows you to learn the basic stunt pattern as you become more proficient with flying. Make sure you have an experienced pilot with you and that you are connected to a "buddy box" until you solo.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

I think there are a couple good planes but it depends if you want a RTF or ARF,RTF is hard to beat with the Alpha 40 or 60 series,the Nexstar would be ok and i think it cost more BUT you get the flight simulater with it so that might be a plus but if your willing to build i would look at the LT 40.I guess it all depends if you want to get one and start flying right away.
* these planes would be my preference *
Old 03-23-2004, 09:53 PM
tito_rianto

Ok, Thanks
I'm found the Articles on RCU, i guest i have to read it, there are alot of review for the planes.
Based on the review I'm now more interested on Nexstar. It offer more stability on low speed flight (that's will be my most conditions of flight) and it is also offer to landing without wheels.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=258
Old 03-23-2004, 10:19 PM
forestroke

I have never seen those planes you're talking about on the field... I think that is a strong message.

One's I have seen in mass are the (in no particular order)

1. Hobbico Avistar
2. Kyosho Calmato

I personally have flown the Calmato numerous times to help beginners with first flight trim and I must say... the kits go together well. Another one that I've seen more of recently (but I personally don't like the graphics) is the WM Raider Mach I.

But if I were to start all over again, I would get the Calmato with a O.S. 70 four stroke... I have seen it at the field and it's a keeper!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Jumpnjoe

Tito,
You won't be let down. I will vouch for the NexSTAR. I have about 20 solos on mine and it is awesome! I ran 4 tanks of fuel today for about 15-20 min. each. Not bad for after work. Anyway, the speed flaps it comes with can come off after the plane goes too slow for you. And the leading-edge wingtip extesions can also be removed for more instability (mild aerobatics). I wouldn't recommend hooking up the AFS (Active Flight Stabilization) because the conditions have to be perfect for it to function correctly. But you can sell that or just don't use it, I never have. That would only come in handy if you don't have access to an instructor. I would strongly advise against flying without an instructor. Just for the 1st few take offs and landings, because it needs to be trimmed out. I picked up a buddy box for $30. Now I can use it with my wife, daughter, or friends. Go have fun with whatever you decide!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 01:55 AM
tito_rianto

Hi guys
At this point, its became more harder for me to choose which one is the right for me, and talking to all of you make me realize i'm no body in the huge jungle of RC plane..........

I know that everyone have given the best suggestion based on experiences and expertise which will differ from other.

It is now for me to choose... and It is like married.... Once you have choose it ..., you gotta take it, try to love it and stick with it for the rest of you live, but Hopefully I still can buy a second plane.

I will let you know which one i choose.

Thank you all