Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Qustions on CG Eagle 2

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Qustions on CG Eagle 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:48 AM
florian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qustions on CG Eagle 2

I was all set to order a GP PT-40 when the Eagle 2 was put on the table as an option. I've read the manual for the PT-40 and really like what I see, ESPECIALLY the fact that washout gets built permanently into the wings. I really hate the concept of "twist-then-heatgun" to do it after covering.

Does the Eagle 2 design mandate washout and if so, how is it achieved? Also, I'm not crazy about the wood stick motor mounts I see in the photos. Could it be modified to use something more like what comes with the PT-40?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:46 AM
gus

Default RE: Qustions on CG Eagle 2

I am biased....

... just build the PT-40 ... ;-) It is my trainer...!

gus
Old 04-02-2004, 04:58 PM
ZimboRaider

The EAGLE 2 ROX!

I have one and it came with a BB .46 and itroars around the sky like theres no tommorow.
My instructor can loop from level flight as well!
Old 04-02-2004, 08:16 PM
phread59

I do not have an Eagle 2. I have an older PT40. It has wood mounts for the motor. I have had no problems with it. Either plane will work well. I personally would choose the PT only because I have one. They both have a great reputation. good luck with whichever one you choose.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-03-2004, 01:08 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

I have an eagle 2 and have put it through it's paces (looped it in its length and such). The wood mount is no problem what so ever. This is a very sturdy plane and great to learn on because it's SO forgiving. This strip ailerons make it near impossible to roll. Mine has had LOTS of flight time since september and has had no damage due to stress. I have a ole OS 40 FP (equiv. to the LA) on the front of mine and it could use a bit more power but oh well. It floats forever and is a breeze to get in on a dead stick.

Chris
Old 04-03-2004, 02:51 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Florian!
I built the old Eagle 63 as my trainer back around 1989, and then built an Eagle 2 for a friend around 1996. The only difference I could see between them was the shape of the front windshield. Both flew superbly, and I still fly the Eagle 2 regularly as my friend moved out of town and didn't want to take it with him. His loss.

Anyway, in answer to your questions, the Eagle 2 does not have any washout in the wing and none is required. As a matter of fact, they stress in the instructions that the wing should be flat on the bottom and you need to make sure of this. As long as you build it on a flat surface this should not be any problem. The wooden engine mounts work quite well. It is actually a 2 piece design, in that the engine is bolted to a 'U' shaped piece of plywood, which is then bolted to 2 hardwood 'sticks' which are epoxied to the fuselage. The right and down thrust for the engine is built into this mount, and with the flat-bottom wing it needs quite a bit of down thrust. There is a regular firewall that you could mount a plastic (or whatever) engine mount to, but it really isn't neccessary.

I have been an instructor for the last 12 years and I have flown a couple of PT-40's. I have also flown several other Eagles. I like the Eagle better and here's why. First, I think it looks better. To me it looks a lot more like a full-scale plane. It has actual windows instead of decals and there's less dihedral in the wing. If I remember correctly, the PT-40 has the aileron servo mounted in a strange way; mounted sideways on the bottom of the wing. Made me worry about it breaking loose. Also, it seemed that when you slowed the plane down, like for a landing, the ailerons would loose a lot of their effectiveness. Made it hard to turn when going slow. Maybe that's to keep you from over-controlling it on a landing approach, but to me it just felt wrong.

I have a blast flying my Eagle. Of course, it's not really an 'aerobatic' plane like an Extra or a Cap, but I still can do nice loops, rolls, hammer-heads, inverted flight, and even a brief knife-edge. And then I can slow it down and float in for an easy, slow landing. It's the plane I take to the field when I want to relax. BTW, mine is powered by a Thunder Tiger Pro .40 Not a huge engine, but it zips around plenty fast at full throttle.

OK, enough of my sales pitch. Geez, you probably think I work for Goldberg...
Old 04-03-2004, 06:44 AM
florian

Thanks for that Louisville. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Excuse me now while I get an Eagle2 ordered! Funny how we can spend weeks making a decision and then once we've made it we cant stand waiting a single day for it.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:43 PM
czechyour6

I built the Eagle 2 kit and it is a great trainer. I did do the bolt on wing modification so there are no rubber bands to monkey with, a nice clean look. I think Dubro makes the nylon bolt kit. If I could do it again, I would mount a servo in each side of the wing with direct servo to aileron connection and put a little larger aileron stock or glue a triangle piece on the front to make it a little longer. Sure its a trainer and you can set it mild to learn, but after that, you want it to roll good. It takes forever and you will run out of altitude waiting for it to come around. as long as you have enough elevator travel, it will even fly inverted WOO HOO!