Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

landing in crosswind

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

landing in crosswind

Old 08-17-2004, 07:28 PM
davids24beer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing in crosswind

Could anyone give me some tips on landing in a crosswind? I'm flying a avistar. Into the wind and no wind I"m fine.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:03 PM
BCherry
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: landing in crosswind

You need to try using your rudder more(crab the plane in kinda sideways) you have to cross control with ailerons to keep the plane from banking. Practice with pretty slow fly by's and try it,enen if theres no wind this will give you a feel of what its doing.Do you have a flight sim like G-2.. you can practice on it.Its worth the 2 hundred bucks. hope it helps. Brad
Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 PM
fearlessJOE

Final approach, plane is coming in with c/wind, if the nose points to you, pull the rudder stick to you, and the nose will piont AWAY.

You will need a little opposies AIL and a little more up ELEV

Real life kicks Real Flight in the @$& [X(]!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:03 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

With the semi-symetrical wing of the Avistar, you're much better off than the flat bottom trainers. As Brad said, you're trying to angle into the wind keeping the upwind wing low while the plane slips toward the runway. It's very tricky to do and most experienced pilots still have trouble unless they fly the Cub alot.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:56 AM
dabigboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Avistar, you might just try landing normally, actually.....probably have less chance of botching the landing than if you tried the wing-low method and goofed (it is indeed tricky). Only exception would be if it's really windy, and then you'd do well to consider a different landing direction more parallel to the wind. By "normal landing" I mean just adjust heading until the plane no longer drifts (you will be crabbed into the wind). The Avistar is light enough and forgiving enough you might be able to get away with this unless the crosswind factor is very high.

And yeah, Cubs are great for practicing this stuff, as the difference that various techniques make is more obvious with the Cub than with the more "go-where-you-point-it" planes.

Are you having trouble flipping the plane over on crosswind landings or something?

-Matt Bailey
Old 08-18-2004, 07:28 AM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

If you're really having trouble, wait until a day with low-to-moderate crosswinds and ask an experienced member to help you out. Have him stand with you at the flight box, and practice low passes/approaches. Do this for 5 minutes less than your normal fuel supply duration. If you can't get it down safely, then you can pass the TX to him to have him land it.

I actually enjoy landing in moderate crosswinds since I like the challenge. My first two landings were better than most. My favorite is when the wind is going from the near to the far side of the runway. I like watching the plane come in with the fuse side facing me.

-Jeff
Old 08-18-2004, 07:35 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

ITs all about rudder learn your rudder learn learn learn. I see more guys getting fouled at the field in cross winds because they dont use their rudder. they try to use alerions to turn close to the ground and the plane with the wind ends up doing gymnastics across the runway. As long as you remember to push the rudder stick in the same direction as you want the tail of the plane to go when its headed toward you that should help and remember on low altitude and slow approaches you may have to compensate rudder with oposite alerion to stop a tip but with a trainner i doubt it. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with all the above. Another method which can get you down in one piece if you get the shakes is to just start your final approach parallel to the runway but at a distance that will cause the plane to end up over the runway when you touch down.

For example if the wind is blowing in your face, start your final parallel to the runway but 20 feet farther out past the runway. Fly in for a low approach, if you do not end up over the runway then fly arround again and start the final approach farther out toward the wind or closer in, whichever it needs.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:07 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All the posters are correct in using the rudder in coordination with airlerons. Under these conditions you have the option of either sidesliping or crabbing when encountering crosswind conditions. Switiching to a more logical and less professional approach, add a crosswind runway or runways to your existing field layout. Face facts people, must RC pilots just want to bore holes in the sky.
I flew at at a site in South Carolina that had three runways and when the wind changed so did the pit area. No one complained they all enjoyed themselves.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:49 PM
davids24beer

Have to prctice all the moves at the feild and see which one I can master. Is there a plane that is better in the wind? Any suggestions.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:25 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

H9 UltraStick or any of the ugly stick series. They have such a low profile with the shoulder wing. When you move to a low wing, they are much better also.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:42 PM
britbrat

All of the posted stuff is good advice. Another suggestion -- if you don't have a crosswind runway, but you have a reasonably wide runway, land on the diagonal rather than straight up & down the runway. The altered heading, though not large, will help a great deal in making a successful landing
Old 08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
BadBart
My Feedback: (1)

If you don't have a sim...get one! I never used my rudder until I bought a sim. I was always scared to try it for using ailerons seemed easier. If the crosswind is steady, you may have to hold the rudder while decreasing throttle at the same time with the same stick which can be a little awkward if you're not used to it. You just can't beat the simulator for practicing something like rudder use on landing.
Pat
Old 08-19-2004, 06:01 AM
joeb102072

Especially if you plan on doing 3D in the future. Rudder is essential and has to be used as seconed nature as the throttle is. A sim is a very good idea.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:50 AM
forestroke

As you can see, I had very small (30 4-stroke) Cub that I have since sold. However, when it was mine, I loved to fly it in crosswinds. There is something very beautiful about a Cub coming into land in a crosswind. It's just very pure. I'm not sure if anyone knows what I mean.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:46 AM
changed
Banned

I have a 20 year old 1/3 scale cub and it what a crowd pleaser it is! I only fly it during major events, but flying the rudder is a must. The sooner you learn to fly the rudder the better off you are. Try it up high and keep working at it till it is second nature.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57810.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	165756  
Old 08-20-2004, 06:10 AM
davids24beer

I have to admit I never use the rudder, thats probaly from starting with a plane that has areilons. Have to experiment with flying with rudder. So the cub is a good plane in windy conditions? or just nice to look at.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:22 AM
joeb102072

Once you learn rudder it adds a whole new experience to flying. In some ways its like learining all over again for some older piliots that have never used one before it can be quite exciting. I had the good fortune to learn to fly at a field with only one north to south runway. Either you learned your rudder or on east west windy days you didnt fly. Needless to say my brother and I learned what crabbing meant at a very early stage of our flying instructions. But I couldnt fly a plane now without a rudder. Or actually I could but I would be constantly trying to use it even if it wasnt there.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:15 AM
changed
Banned

Part of the problem is we instructors tend to not teach people to use the rudder. Joeb is right once you are proficient with the rudder you have so much more control. You just need to get used to changing the planes heading with the left stick. Get up to 50ft or so and try it you wont crash the plane. Shoot some high approaches and practice keeping the plane on the same heading. Also practice coordinating your ailerons and rudder during your turns around the field. You'll get it eventually. I see guys who take off with full throttle and never touch the left stick again until it is time to land! (which is ok if that is all you want to do) Learn to fly a helicopter that will teach you to use the left stick for sure!
Old 08-28-2004, 07:57 AM
APIA

Learn on a three channel radio, this will require you to learn the basics of "stick and rudder" flying.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:31 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I use the rudder and throttle as much as I use the ailerons and elevator. Didn't start out that way, but I've become a much better pilot since I started.

As others have said, learn to use the rudder. Start by adding a little rudder during every turn. Once you get use to that, try adding a little opposite rudder during a turn to see what happens. Note that I said a "little" opposite rudder. Too much opposite rudder will get you into knife edge flight if the plane is capable.

Eventually, when landing in a crosswind, you'll use the rudder to keep the plane on the center line of the runway, and only use the ailerons to keep the wings level.

You'll be surprised how much difference it makes to use rudder when flying, and it doesn't take much.

Good luck,
Dennis-