Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Do I need multiple radios?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Do I need multiple radios?

Old 09-23-2004, 06:36 AM
rwright142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need multiple radios?

Since this is the "Beginners' forum I don't feel shy about asking this basic question:

If you have several planes, do you need a radio for each? If not, why? Can you buy specific freq transmitters ala '43'?

I assume (I know, I know) that your transmitter and receiver have to be on the same frequency, but can you change them easily? For example, at the field I fly from there seems to be several of us on '42' so I have to wait and I am impatient... It would be cool if I could 'flip a switch' and change to '43' for example.

TIA for your response.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:38 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Do I need multiple radios?

well when you have multiple planes that doesn't mean you need multiple radios. most of the time that would be all of your planes are on the same channel. yes you can buy a transmitter with 6 ,8 or even 10 model memery on your channel or any other channel. my sugestion is to find out what channel that no one else is on at your flying field and use that channel. In the us it is illegal to change the transmitter channel unless you have a module type radio. for instance you can buy the hitec eclipse 7 radio and get the spectra module, that way you can switch to any channel you want. the reciever are easier to switch, all you have to do is swap christals. of course if you have a futaba they seperate the band into high and low band. the low band is channel 11-32 and high is 33-60. as long as you keep the reviever christal in the band range for the reciever you should be ok.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:43 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need a separate transmitter for each plane. Computer transmitters have the ability to store settings for multiple planes. For example my Futaba 6XAS has a 6 model memory. If you want to actively fly all your planes, you will need a separate receiver, batteries and servos for each one. If you have planes you don't fly all that often, it's not that hard to swap a receiver from one plane to another. It can be done in about a half an hour.

You generally cannot change the frequency of your transmitter. To do so is illegal. One exception is the Polk 'Tracker' series, which is actually able to work on multiple frequencies. You can change the frequency in your receiver by putting in a different crystal. About $12. Yes, your transmitter and receiver have to be on the same frequency.

If your present radio on 42 is a basic non-computer radio, I would recommend buying a computer radio on a different frequency for your next plane. Look through your club roster to find out what frequencies are not used much. You can then get a new crystal for your existing receiver and keep using it as well.

-Scott
Old 09-23-2004, 09:38 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are many ways to go. Most people start out with one radio. When they switch planes, they remove the equipment from one and put it in the other.

Later, you can buy more servos, so all you have to change is the Rx, Batt, and switch. You can update again and get another Rx. batt and switch so you don't need to swap anything. Or, you can just ask a significant other for a nice radio for you next gift-getting occasion

But be warned... Getting a $200 radio as a gift usually requires giving a $200 jewelry item in return!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
cms108

"In the us it is illegal to change the transmitter channel unless you have a module type radio"

well... you learn something every day. in the uk you can just change the transmitter crystal like you can the reciever. not being able to do this would be a real pain if you wanted to fly 2 different frequencies... like you have to at our club if you want to fly planes and helicopters, as they're on different fields. i'd have splash out on one of those fancy synthesised frequency modules... spose at least i'd have an excuse to buy a new gadget.

--
cHris
Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It used to be that you needed multiples, but now days, get a good radio with model memory, and a couple of flight packs for it and you are set. Way better and easier. The new radios are great for that. I used to have 7 radios. Now I have 2 and primarily only use my 9C. Awsome radio.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:28 AM
leftnut

i didn't have to give jewerlys for my 6xas.
i just had to write alphabets

i also have a radiant 6 and a JRmaxx
other than not being compatiable with futaba
different charging jacks,connectors, servo size,servo arm

trying to keep everything 1 brand...i choose futaba

hitec is compatiable, but the servo arms are not the same size
found out the hard way...lost some wing nuts.

tower hobbie's are futaba

i run off the 6xas and purchase the skysport4 system instead of a flight pack.
it's about the price, but i'll have spare TX battery packs i can use for 6xas
Old 09-23-2004, 10:33 AM
P-40LUVR

I have 5 planes and one radio,Futaba Skyport 6,it really gets exciting when you have to trim each plane every time.[sm=lol.gif]
Im really looking hard at the Futaba 7C so I can keep all the parameters of each plane in memory and have flaperons and ect.
But as everyone said, NO you do not have to have a TX for each plane just a flight pack @ 100.00 ordered with the same frequency crystal.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:45 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

There are many ways to go. Most people start out with one radio. When they switch planes, they remove the equipment from one and put it in the other.

Later, you can buy more servos, so all you have to change is the Rx, Batt, and switch. You can update again and get another Rx. batt and switch so you don't need to swap anything. Or, you can just ask a significant other for a nice radio for you next gift-getting occasion

But be warned... Getting a $200 radio as a gift usually requires giving a $200 jewelry item in return!

Thanks for the info.

WOW! Your significant other only has a 1:1 ratio on gifts? My wife told me it was a universal law that the ration is 1:5! So a $200 gift to me equates to a $1000 gift to her! I am so gullable...
Old 09-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Crashem

I have 5 planes and one radio,Futaba Skyport 6,it really gets exciting when you have to trim each plane every time.
P40luvr,

What you need to do is mechanically trim each of your models for straight and level flight with the trim sliders centered. This way when you switch models you only have to make sure the trims are centered and adjust the engine idle with the throtle trim. I did this for years without a problem. Yes computer radios make running multiple models much eaisier. But it is not impossible or overly difficult to do this on a radio that doesn't have a multiple model memory
Old 09-23-2004, 02:47 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've found that a 1 to 1 ratio is not at all acceptable to them. It's more like a $200 radio leads to an expectation of $1,000 or $2,000 jewelry in return.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Geez, and I though MY wife was High Maintainance! You guys gotta learn how to break 'em in better! LOL
Old 09-23-2004, 03:45 PM
hookedonrc

One thing to remember when making your decisions. Yes, you can have multiple models on one radio, but if that one radio has a problem and you need it repaired, you won't be flying until you get it back. I have two right now a JR662 and a JR8103 and can add any of my planes to either unless I need the full 8 channels that the 8103 provides. I learned the hard way when I had to send in the 662 twice and sat and watched others fly till I got it back. Wasn't long before I had the 8103 as my primary radio and the 662 as the back up. I will say this is not an everyday occurence since most tx's are very reliable, but if you can afford it, you can avoid the problem altogether.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
rwright142

Geez, and I though MY wife was High Maintainance! You guys gotta learn how to break 'em in better! LOL

I am doing my best... This is wife #3 for me and it is getting gradually better....
Old 09-23-2004, 05:23 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rwright142

Thanks for the info.

WOW! Your significant other only has a 1:1 ratio on gifts? My wife told me it was a universal law that the ration is 1:5! So a $200 gift to me equates to a $1000 gift to her! I am so gullable...
Wow, thats harsh! My girlfriend was getting too darned expensive so I traded her for a new VTX 1800 motorcycle. Man, I got the best of that deal!!!!!!! Now I can buy anything I want again with no expanation to anyone!! Lets see, I have 53 airplanes now, I think I need a few more, don't you?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:34 PM
rccrazedman

ok two corrections on my origenal post.

1 the futaba high and low band split is low 11-35 and high 36-60

2 you also can change over your transmitter channel if it is not a module type radio ,in the us, only by sending it in and having a qualified techniction do the work .

also to add to what some other guys were saying about the single radio that is one downfall of having just one transmitter. Plus to add to this what if you actuadently turn your radio on en rute to the fioeld now all of your planes are grounded. Bruckner hobbies has the 7caf transmitter only for $150 plus $20 for the heli version. that way I can get a nice backup radio. by the way this has a 10 model memery. nice radio I was looking at ione also. one thing is with the 7c radio is that you cannot use a duel elevator servo setup unless you use a y harness, because the fact that if you trim the elevator the second servo does not work with the trim. futaba can fix this for you for a price, but if you use the timmer activated from the throttle it will reset your aielrons value to zero meaning you would not have any control in your aielrons.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Actually, my wife has no idea how much money I spend on the hobby. And she really did buy me a radio. She gave me a $150 tower hobbies gift certificate for father's day. Daughter was only about 17 months old at the time, so I know it came from mommy. I was just getting back into the hobby so it went for a Futaba 6EXA.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:46 AM
rwright142

Wow, thats harsh! My girlfriend was getting too darned expensive so I traded her for a new VTX 1800 motorcycle. Man, I got the best of that deal!!!!!!! Now I can buy anything I want again with no expanation to anyone!! Lets see, I have 53 airplanes now, I think I need a few more, don't you?
53 planes? [drooling]

I bow to the master... I'm not worthy...
Old 09-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Woody 51

P-40 Do yourself a long term favour and jump to the Futaba 9C with the optional "CAMPAC" memory module.
Take it from one who has been down that same path. Buy a 7 now and you will be back for a 9C in a few years time. So why not do it now and save yourself some bucks in the long term.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:20 PM
rccrazedman

the 9c also has a lot of programing features you wouldn't find on the lesser radios.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:49 PM
phread59

Good lord I feel lucky. No 1 to 1 to worry about. When I buy some stuff I only gotta spring for some chilli dogs to appease the savage beast! She supports me 100%. And as long as I am not going crazy she doesn't mind much. She is great that way. God bless her. She even said the other month she liked the Irvine 61 over the TT! So you know what one I bought! She's great.

As to the radio it is as simple as a computer radio and a few flight packs. Pick your favorite brand, they are all good and go for it.

Mark Shuman
Old 09-26-2004, 07:52 AM
yeffy99

Ok I'm fairly new to this hobby but why would you buy a flight pack when you can buy the whole 4 channel system cheaper?
I realize that computer radios are better but once you have a computer radio why not just buy the 4 channel system and sell the radio?
And if you need more servos just buy them individually.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:11 AM
hookedonrc

I would guess that there are those out there that would do exactly what you are saying. In my case, most of what I have bought has been a flight pack for JR with the standard servos for around $150. If you add up all the separate parts servos, receiver, etc, it would be much more, and if I buy a 4 channel radio, my opportunity to sell it is somewhat limited. The club I fly in has very few pilots that are still using 4 channels. Most of them have started with the 6 channel computer radios, because in the long run they are going to need them. You can't really pick up radios like that for the cost I have cited.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:18 AM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are frequency synthesizing radios available, so you can have one radio and select different freqs. but you are looking at the high end of the price spectrum. I'd recommend a good computer radio, 7-9 channels, and put most of your planes on one frequency (poll your club to see what freqs are commonly used and pick one that isn't). Have a cheaper secondary radio on a separate freq. for your trainer (you can pick up 4-ch radios at swap meets every day for practically nothing). This way you have a good, mult- capable radio for the majority of your flying, and a backup plan available for the day you're out flying and someone else is using "your" preferred freq. Just pull out the trainer and zoom around until the other freq is available.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:48 PM
RCDudeHobbies

I can't believe you can't just change the tramitter crystal. That sucks! I ordered a new computer radio and now it looks like I'm going to have to buy a lot of receiver crystals.

What's amazing is how they are selling crystal sets with the transmitter crystal all over the place. And Futaba's website shows all the information on crystal sets, but doesn't mention that you cannot change the trans crystal on that same page (I found it burried elsewhere on their site). Been doing RC airplanes for the last 2 years and this is a new one on me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.