Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Putting balance weights on the tail >

Putting balance weights on the tail

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Putting balance weights on the tail

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Putting balance weights on the tail

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Did it fly?
Got the engine broke in and running smoothly at idle and full speed. You guys are right, it can be a pain doing this if you have never done it before.[&o]
Sure hope I don't have the same problem balancing the Rapture with the Evolution.

I will be taking the Tower up in a little bit, hour or two. I will let you know how it goes.
I just want to give it a quick charge and check it over again real good. See if anything has vibrated loose and such.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all this hoop-La concerning weights, here is a tip. At the local fishing/outdoor supply, you can find nice flat round lead weights, marked in oz. They have a small wire loop, but ignore those loops as they will pull out if you use that to attach the weights.
Drill a hole through the center. The local hardware/home supply will have bolts or threaded wire in long lengths. Usually 3" or so, 6-32 to 10-24, or whatever turns you on. Bolt on these weights and you can adjust as you get the flying to where you want it.
Most of our machines, except the long fuse aerobatics types, have a normal 3/3.5 to 1 force arrangement. It takes 3 - 3.5 oz. in the nose to offset 1 oz. in the tail and vice versa. Just did a machine that should have the elevator servos in the wing saddle area but I just had to put them out in the air back by the tailfeathers. 3.5 oz. of servos cost me 12 more oz. weight in the nose.
Nah, I ain't redoing it. Looks Cool!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure the radios are charged enough and GREAT LUCK on the maiden flight. Be prepared for ANYTHING. It may want to climb or dive or roll. Altitude is your friend, get it up a ways and see if you can trim it. It would help if you had a helper to trim for you while you are busy fighting it. Teach them how to do it BEFORE you fly, in the air is no time for lessons. Tell them "If I say I need down trim - move THIS lever THIS way" etc. [sm=confused.gif] [sm=drowning.gif] Don't forget to write.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dredhea

Barwelle,
I know it'll require a little surgery, but have you considered moving the servo tray to the rear a little? I had to add almost 3 oz. to get my PT40 to balance with a Tower Hobbies .46 on it. I removed the covering from the back lightening hole in the bottom of the fuse and epoxied lead "split-shot" sinkers just aft of there. Your post made me take a good look at it, and moving the servo tray would have been a much better option. (I wish I knew then what I know now).
I presume that your tray is located just forward of the main gear since you have room for the battery and RX behind it.
It would be a pretty tight fit to do that, even if it was possible. For one thing, I would have to buy a couple pushrods because I already put it all together. Then I would have to move the bat. and Rx either to where the servo tray is (and that would defeat the whole purpose) or move it back, into the rear fuse. that would require surgery. the other day, I talked to the LHS guy and asked him about ripping open the rear fuse and putting a bigger battery in there to balance. He said instead of ripping it open just put some weights in a hole in the back (similar to what ED STEFAN said).