Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

pinning ca hinges

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

pinning ca hinges

Old 05-17-2005, 08:46 AM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinning ca hinges

Can you pin CA hinges like you would the plastic ones? Drill a hole and insert a toothpick? Or is there some other way? Whats the best way to cover the holes? It would seem pretty hard to cut out round pieces of covering that small. Thanks in advance.

Khlash
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: pinning ca hinges

That is how I pin my hinges.

FWIW - Cut a small slit in the covering prior to drilling the holes. Then make the "pins" slightly shorter than the total thickness of the surface being pinned. Insert the pins and CAREFULLY PUT A DROP OF THIN CA on each side. Now iron the slit closed over the pin.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On a few rare occaisions I have pinned CA hinges too, but I use a slightly different method.

Instead of a toothpick, I use a straight pin (Or "T" Pin)

(Note: the folowing proceedure assumes the stab or fin is aproximately 1/4" balse. If it's not, adjust accordingly)

Push the pin up through the bottom of the stab until you feel it hit the hinge. Now carefully push it just through the hinge.

Once you feel that it has broken through, Stop! Now cut the pin with a pair of side cutters as close to the stab as possible (There will be a little nub of pin still protruding from the surface)

Now push the remaining nub just below the surface.

Voila! The hinges is pinned, and all that shows are a few pinholes on the underside!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

On a few rare occaisions I have pinned CA hinges too, but I use a slightly different method.

Instead of a toothpick, I use a straight pin (Or "T" Pin)

(Note: the folowing proceedure assumes the stab or fin is aproximately 1/4" balse. If it's not, adjust accordingly)

Push the pin up through the bottom of the stab until you feel it hit the hinge. Now carefully push it just through the hinge.

Once you feel that it has broken through, Stop! Now cut the pin with a pair of side cutters as close to the stab as possible (There will be a little nub of pin still protruding from the surface)

Now push the remaining nub just below the surface.

Voila! The hinges is pinned, and all that shows are a few pinholes on the underside!

Is there glue involved at any point? If so...which? Thanks for the replys.

Khlash
Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!
Why pin CA glue hinges ???
I have used CA hinges for more than ten years on many different airplanes from pylonracers going 375km/h to large scale aerobatic airplanes and had no problem what so ever.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 05-17-2005, 12:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, there is no glue involved.

jaka, I have pinned hinges at times where the integrity of the hinge is in question I.E maybe my Thin CA was old and didn't seem to wick as well, or maybe someone else installed the hinges and wasn't sure how good they did with it. etc.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 AM
Kaos Rulz

If you need small round pieces of covering, use a paper hole punch and punch out as many as you need. Perfect for those pinning cover-up jobs.