Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question about a field box

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question about a field box

Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
M. Michael Meyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a field box

Well, it is done. It took about two months, but I finally finished my Sig Kadet LT-40 with an OS .46 AX engine. I took it up to the club I am joining on Saturday and went through an inspection of the plane. There are some things they don't tell you in the instruction manual. For example, you need to use "keepers" (about 1/8" strips of silicone fuel tubing) to make sure the clevises don't come unsnapped in flight. You need to make sure that the control rod for the nose wheel does not bind so that you get equal throw on the rudder (you can fix that problem by simply moving the control rod guide to a hole nearer the nose wheel), etc. We spent about 2 hours going over the plane and tuning the engine. The engine is really responsive. I can go from a very slow idle to full throttle instantly, and there is absolutely no hesitation. Slam stick it back to idle and not a burp or a belch along the way. I learned that one of the tests to see if the engine was tuned properly is to go to full throttle and then firmly hold the plane and move it into a straight up orientation. When we did so, virtually no change in RPM (maybe a very slight increase). Because the keepers were not in place and because the instructor who I met at the field had another student that he spent most of the morning with and because I got there late (lost the battle of the blankets!) we were not able to get it in the air. That will be next week.

Now my question. I can see that I am going to require a field box. I have seen some I really like. For example, Sig make a Field Boss which seems to be very nice. I like to do woodworking projects when I am not busy being a lawyer. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could go to get plans or information or guidance on how I could make my own field box.

As always, thanks for the help.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Fastsky

Default RE: Question about a field box

I bought big plastic tool box from Wallmart for $10.00. I mounted in a 12 volt 7 AH gell cell battery, a 40 oz. fuel tank and an electric fuel pump. I mounted the control panel in the front of the box and cut out notches in the removable top shelf so that my starter would sit in there nicely until needed. The outer top section has its own clear lid with various sizes shallow square shaped compartments that I use for spare glow plugs, wheel collars ect. If I was to do it again I would probably put in a larger fuel tank. Other than that the box is fuel proof and is still working well after 5 years. For $10.00 I can't complain. Its sturdy, still looks like new, never cracks or needs painting.[8D]
Old 05-17-2005, 10:04 PM
FOD MAN

/
Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 PM
M. Michael Meyer

Actual testimony from a court case (not mine - thank goodness):

Lawyer: Doctor, did you examine the plaintiff?
Doctor: Yes.
Lawyer: And doctor, as a result of your examination was the plaintiff pregnant?
Doctor: She was pregnant, but it wasn't a result of my examination.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:48 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Oh - a lawyer *and* a comedian! [sm=lol.gif]
Here's a link to the thread that I used to build my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1426055/anchors_1426055/mpage_1/key_field%2Cbox%2Cplans/anchor/tm.htm#1426055]Flight Box[/link]
Old 05-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The type/size of field box will depend on what you plan on bringing with you to the field. I have seen people that have their workshop in a field box.

The USUAL stuff you bring to the field in a field box AND USE are:

Battery
Power panel
Electric starter
Glow plug ignitor
Fuel
Fuel pump (I suggest both an electric and a manual as a backup )
Spare props
Spare glow plugs
Spare rubber bands for the wing (Bring 12 IN ADDITION to what you use to attach the wing)
Regular and phillips screw drivers (I suggest a #1 tip phillips and/or JIS for servo screws)
6" adjustable wrench to remove/replace props
Glow plug wrench
Prop reamer
a 6" piece of MonoKote trim tape (the self adhesive type ) for emergency field repairs

While there are a great many more things you can bring, I have found that these items are what I normally use on a regular basis. If the plane requires more than this, you need to bring it back to the shop.

The other thing I would suggest in a field box is a REMOVEABLE section that contains the battery, power panel, and electric starter. It is easier to carry than the full box.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:05 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had a "traditional" built up wood flight box but I gave it up. There didn't seem to ever be enough room in it. Plus, having had back surgery it was getting hard for me to carry a flight box to the flight line that was getting heavier every weekend. So here's what I did. I too bought one of those oversize tool boxes available at Lowe's type stores. I also purchased smaller tool box that had several smaller parts boxes. The large box had to have several features, it had to have wheels on it so I could pull it, it had to have enough room in the bottom for a 12 lawn and garden tractor battery, and it had to have room for 2 1-gallon fuel cans. In this box I put only what I need on the flight line, battery, fuel, starter, fuel pump, volt meter, tachometer, small hammer and rope to hold back planes, and quick charger. This is what I take out to the flight line with me. It contains only what I need to get my planes flying. In the other tool box I put in all the other tools I found I need at the field, plus small parts, props, epoxy, and CA glue. This box stays in my truck. If I need to do a field repair I take it back to my truck and use the smaller tool box.

I've found that this setup has worked great. The box I take out to the flight line doesn't throw my back out every time I lift it, and I still have my tools with me to do repairs.

That's my 02ΒΆ worth.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Goldberg Supertote, which is not a large box but still can be heavy when loaded. I got tired of carrying it to the flightline very quickly. I designed one I called the "Basic Necessities" field box. It has a place for fuel, 12 volt battery, starter, power panel, and transmitter plus a small drawer for essential tools and parts. One good thing about it is that the fuel can is below the handle so that balance does not change as the fuel is used. There are plans on my web page for this field box. Those who written to me about building it say they really like it because of its simplicity.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:44 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

In this box I put only what I need on the flight line, battery, fuel, starter, fuel pump, volt meter, tachometer, small hammer and rope to hold back planes, and quick charger.
Don't you flip start 'em? ....

I too went to wal mart but I went to the fishing dept. and got a Plano 737 tackle box...it holds all my stuff including a triton, starter battery, starter, chicken stick, and spare props and bits & pieces (there are 3 containers for small parts off to the side) Despite the fact that it weighs a ton, I think it works pretty well.

HTH
Old 05-18-2005, 12:47 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

i live in a tight space so i dotn have a field box, instead i have a camera bag with alot of pouches were i put my stuff in.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Rubberduck

I referred to this thread when I made my field box. I like having all my "airplane" tools in one spot.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16.../tm.htm#167247
Old 05-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Kyosho pre-fab flight box which is nice but nothing special. I also keep a $5 cheapie tackle box in my car that has spares (and first aid supplies) that I don't want to clutter up the box I lug around with. It's bad enough with the 12v motorcycle battery and a gallon of fuel!

A couple tips: I have a metal gallon can, rectangular, and I added bungee coards to the box to support that in addition to the Velcro strap. I have found that if I use a 4" bolt and a wingnut through the axis I can carry six spare prope of various sizes tucked under the bungee on one side, and two long shank standard and one Phillips screwdriver on the other side. Very handy.

I opted to run everything off the 12v battery (starter & glo-driver) and it solves some clutter/bulk, but it can be a pain to manage the cords. I hooked a "Zinger" on the box and attached the tool clip to the middle of the glo-drive cord, and by placng the box beside the plane with the panel ahead of the prop arc it will pull the cord away from the prop; and the starter cord is heavy and easy to keep in control.

I drilled a hole from the upper tray down through the lower slide-out drawer in the back corner. I stick a 3mm x 6" long handled Allen-wrench through the hole and it keeps the drawer from sliding out. (And keeps "borrowers" from helping themselves when I'm flying - it is not obvious the way I designed the "tool holder" that the one long wrench is in. I can tell the world now because I now fly at a club where everyone is honest (and has better stuff than me).
Old 05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

I use a tackle box too. Heres a pic....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50224.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	273321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73576.jpg