Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do as a beginner aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

U-Can-Do as a beginner aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do as a beginner aircraft?

Hi there,

A towerhobbies Uproar is a good second plane. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGPG8&P=0]Tower[/link]

It will get you going directly into a tail dragger and with separate servo's for aileron control will get you used to more options later on. It is very aerobatic and relatively inexpensive. I've had mine for 6 months and have a blast with it. Plus it looks so good in the air!

But it is a sort of large step from an ABC, so the decision is yours. It will, though, take some rough landings and you'll need to add some checkerboard to the bottom wing to help in orientation.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Mark
Old 05-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Afra, i believe thats a little much for his case. It's a bit twitchy and it is a 3d plane, but it is only 40 bucks...
Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah it is probably a bit too much now but he could always keep it on the shelf until he's ready.

FiveO, are there any guys at your club that have old trainers that can sell you one cheaply? That may be a way to go instead of getting a brand new trainer. Just a thought.

Mark
Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 PM
FiveO

Weeeeellll...

I had a great day of flying! Flew the pattern and figure 8s forever and taxied up and down the runway a gazillion times per my instructor. The trainer is an old Sig .40 and handled great but there was some at times gusty wind that made it interesting. No problems at all though.

The guys there are still pushing the UCD but after watching several of them fly and I think I will go with something a bit less touchy.

I flew my ABC and was setting it down on the numbers everytime.

As someone mentioned, I checked with some of the guys and have a few feelers out on several older used trainers. One in particular sounds like a great deal so we will see!

Nicely sunburned and more hooked than ever!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:37 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a little like you in picking up quickly. I first flew an older Aerostar 60 and it was fast. I thought it was too fast to judge throttle cut before landing, etc. I learned mostly on a high wing trainer like everyone is suggesting...with good reason. My second plane was a very fast low wing, tail dragger.

Maybe, just maybe you could get by on a Sig Somethin Extra. I know some people will hoot at this, but it is a very good slow lander with excellent characteristics. It is docile enough on low rates, and totally crazy on high rate deflections. They make an ARF version if you don't build, but the kit builds very fast. Some people build both wings in an evening. Anyway, we fly quite a few of these at the field. It would need a modified main gear arrangement with blocks and nylon bolts to survive the beginners landings, bounces, etc. I did that to mine. They will hover fine if you prop it right and keep it very light. Mine was built with oversized rudder, counter balances on the elevators, and some other mods.

A friend had a UCD as his 4th plane, I think. I was not impressed by it at all. Massive, heavy, and lightly build where it needed strength. His tail came off on a landing approach one day. The whole tail section just tore off! I just didn't like the plane from a quality standpoint. It won't take a beginner landing. And, you are going to make quite a few of those eventually. You may make some great ones at first, but the beginner will come out at some point and the UCD won't take that without breaking.

If you do get a trainer, learn on that. Then, when you are getting pretty good with it, try and fly the wings off of it. You will have fun. I saw a guy do rolling circles, harriers, and perfect stall turns with a Sig LT-40 trainer. You will be surprised what they can do, and look good doing it too.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:05 PM
ejames7699
My Feedback: (18)

Okay,

I sort of agree with the guys, but since I've had them all, U Can Do 46 flys better. I've got both but the one I flys most is the Model Tech FUN FLY i ts a 90 size plane. It flys at an idle and my U CAN DO 46 or 60 just does not perform close to the FUN FLY. I don't have time for the U CAN Do anymore. But it is a good flying bird. Fun FLy with a 1.00 Saito 4 stoke is the optimum as far as power to weight raito. I hover at less than
1/2 throttle. I went from trainer to 46 U can Do to 60 U can Do to Great Plains Big Stik which I will always have. Now I have the FUN FLY that was the first on my field now there are 7 FUN FLYs. Just check out the reviews..

Hemet Modelmasters
Old 07-14-2005, 05:32 PM
MikeEast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had 3 U CAN DOs.

YES, the U CAN DO can be used as a trainer IF you learn from a good solid trainer on a buddy box. If you go it alone you are dead for sure. But if you can pass a standard solo test sortof like what Bubba Gates suggested on the buddy box without getting disoriented or confused then the UCD is great. On a buddy box a UCD is fine, its even good to solo with, if IF you thoroughly learn to fly before you try to solo.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:26 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi can i add my opinion on this?,id like to say why not try a low wing trainer before the u can do?
ive also heard good things about the super sportster as a low wing trainer? i know its a sports flier and it does great airobatics too but maybe you could try something like that on low rates?.but 1st id suggest trying those take offs and landings till you feel comfortable?.id say once youve done that then try super sportster or low wing trainer,then u can do!!.theres a big difference between airobatics and 3d flying also!!.walk before you can run is my advice!1.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:50 PM
MikeEast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True, but the U CAN DO is not your typical 3D plane. It is extraordinarily stable on low rates. Other than the limited self righting characteristics of a trainer, the U CAN DO is every bit as stable as any trainer except maybe a Kadet SENIOR. I would not try to train with an aerobatic scale plane like an Edge, Extra, Giles or Ultimate, Pitts, etc. They are prone to stall at lower speeds and are generally unforgiving with excessive elevator or rudder input at the wrong times.

That being said, any relatively stable plane that lands easily is fine for a trainer, provided that you learn from a good trainer with a good thorough training plane, and you learn on a buddy box. Trainers are ideal, but there are most definitely other planes that are not classified as "trainers" that will get you well suited to competently fly solo and safely allow you to skip the expense of a trainer and move to a plane that will perform better overall once your skills improve and you can crank up the rates.