Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a trainer plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Suggestions for a trainer plane

Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM
red head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for a trainer plane

Mess 7 -- Now that you have all this advice why don't you go to a local club and get their opinion and REALLY see what it's all about. Most of the suggestions here are good but the one you decide to follow may just be someone that doesn't know anything but what they learned in the last week or so. Go to a club and be sure of what you are doing.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM
britbrat

That may be good advice --- assuming that Red didn't just learn how to fly in the last week or so
Old 12-01-2005, 04:33 PM
BaldEagel

Red is repeating what I have said in my posts and it bears repeating again, find a club and see what they use ask questions and go along with what you are advised by someone responsible who can instruct you at that club.
Have an enjoyable experience learning how to fly RC
Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 06:00 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

i would have to recommend the hobbico avistar, very easy to fly, and aerobatic when you want. it was my first plane and i have 3 other planes now and it is still my favorite because its the most fun thing i have to fly. i suggest putting a supertigre g-51, awesome verticals. i believe the rtf is under 300$ which isnt bad because it comes with decent equipment, the motor is a little weak but PLENTY of power for the beginner. i have flown the lt-40 and it does fly awesome, EXTREMELY easy to fly, nice little plane but the avistar has more room to grow with you imo.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:20 AM
BaldEagel

The Hanger 9 P51 PTS has even more room to grow into, and with the training system fitted is docile as a lamb.
Mike
Old 12-02-2005, 04:51 PM
J_ME65

A Hobbico Nexstar Rtf I think is the best way to go. It does cost a few dollars but with everything you get with it, it's worth it. My 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter are constantly flying the realflight sim that came with it and could probly fly the plane better than me just from all the practice they have on that. If you have anybody that might be coming up behind you in this hobby, it'll be worth it to get one and hang on to it.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 AM
BaldEagel

The H9 P51 PTS is not a crap shoot, please talk from experience not what you think, I have fown and trained on this aircraft (30 years an instructor) and can recommend it highly the transition to a low wing aircraft using the system devised by H9 is non existant, with the buddy box system the progress made by the ab-initio's is far faster than it ever used to be with the standard high wing trainer, there will always be those that cannot cope with an aircraft other than a high wing trainer, but these are now rare and far between.
Go to your chosen club, see what they train on, use there trainer aircraft, most every club has one, if they do not have ther own training aircraft, find another club they obviously do not take training seriously, get some hrs in, lots of landings and take offs loosing control up high your instructor will cope, loosing control on landing or take off the instructor will be with you on the controls, once you have confidence in what you are flying, move on to somthing else if its radical go back on the buddy box, don't feel ashamed of asking for help. I still ask for second opinions on my craft before a first flight and sometimes have a second experienced pilot with me on the patch to help with orientation and posible flight problems on a new craft.
Compliments of the season to all.
Mike
Old 12-20-2005, 10:40 AM
elenasgrumpy

I can't speak to the H9 P51 PTS as I have no personal experience with one, all I truely know about the plane is that it is purty! I do like the concept of having a nice looking Warbird that you can actually train on & strip the training devices as you grow into the plane, leaving you with a plane that you won't grow out of of right away.

I can however agree with J ME65's assestment of the Hobbico NexStar. After getting a little frustrated at my progress with my Tower Trainer & Insturctor, ( no fault of either the plane or Instructor implied ) I bought the NexStar, practiced on the sim that comes with it for a couple of days, went out to the field by myself, & proceeded to fly it. I had a great day & have been off & running since. The AFS system that comes with the plane makes a great paper-weight too!

Hobbico, if you're listening your AFS sells for $99 buy itself, if you were to trash the AFS from the NexStar RTF, you would then have the best RTF Trainer on the market (IMHO) for $299

Mark
Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

<<< Snip >>>
Go to your chosen club, see what they train on, use there trainer aircraft, most every club has one, if they do not have ther own training aircraft, find another club they obviously do not take training seriously
<<< Snip >>>
Mike
I disagree with the statement that a club without a trainer should be blown off. Our instructors take training very seriously. We do not have club trainer planes. We do have buddy boxes and cords. If someone brings their plane and asks for help they definitely get it but we do not provide the plane. If you have a club trainer plane you need someone to assemble (or build) it, store it, maintain it, haul it to the field, etc, etc.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:44 PM
britbrat

The H9 P51 PTS is not a crap shoot, please talk from experience not what you think, I have fown and trained on this aircraft (30 years an instructor) and can recommend it highly the transition to a low wing aircraft using the system devised by H9 is non existant, with the buddy box system the progress made by the ab-initio's is far faster than it ever used to be with the standard high wing trainer, there will always be those that cannot cope with an aircraft other than a high wing trainer, but these are now rare and far between.
Go to your chosen club, see what they train on, use there trainer aircraft, most every club has one, if they do not have ther own training aircraft, find another club they obviously do not take training seriously, get some hrs in, lots of landings and take offs loosing control up high your instructor will cope, loosing control on landing or take off the instructor will be with you on the controls, once you have confidence in what you are flying, move on to somthing else if its radical go back on the buddy box, don't feel ashamed of asking for help. I still ask for second opinions on my craft before a first flight and sometimes have a second experienced pilot with me on the patch to help with orientation and posible flight problems on a new craft.
Compliments of the season to all.
Mike
I presume that little dissertation was pointed at me.

BaldEagle (fellow well experienced instructor), with respect, we dissagree. As you certainly know, there are more than a few students who have their drawers full handling a standard trainer, and plenty more who think that they are born fighter pilots. They certainly can't tell how well they will progress until they actually try flying, but invariably some helpfull soul will "advise" them about what to get for their first plane.

For you, me, or any experienced pilot &/or instructor, the H9 PTS Mustang is a walk in the park -- but you & I aren't the students -- we are the instructors, with a responsibility to advise with care. Given the unknown tallent in any student, I think that it is imprudent to talk them into anything other than a model type that will give them the greatest chance for success. The standard RC trainer is a well proven concept. The H9 'stang, however pretty, is not yet in that category.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Septic_Shock

LT-40, baby!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24950.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	373396  
Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 AM
elenasgrumpy

Fine lookin lil' bird there Septic.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] I would have to agree that checking out your local club first is a very good idea. You're gonna need to do that as well as getting your AMA membership anyway to have a place to fly. So why not go & visit the club first, meet the Instructors, see what they are willing to train you on. Some people are very set in their ways, & may or may not want to train on the new P-51 PTS. You never know, but it would surely be a shame to go out & spend all that money only to find out no-one close to you wants to try teaching you on the thing. Go check it out first, see what they say, they might love the thing, like I say you just never know, till you go & ask. Good luck, & Merry Christmas to all.

Mark
Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Machinegun21

Well personally i would say go with a Eagle 2 from Goldberg models
Old 12-22-2005, 10:17 AM
BaldEagel

Carrellh
Yes you are correct it takes someone to Assemble, store, maintain, Haul it to the field, fuel it, supply the fuel etc: thats taking it seriously.
Mike
Old 12-22-2005, 10:29 AM
BaldEagel

Britbrat
I think we are saying the same thing in a different way, you must try the P51 PTS it rearly is as good as any high wing trainer that I have flow, my ab-anitio's love it not just for its flying ability but mostly for its looks, which encorage then to return this particular P51 PTS is mine that I use for training, I find it is better for all if the aircraft is maintained by someone with experience in the first instance the pupil can then concentrate on their flying, plenty of time to learn the basics of building etc: when they buy thier own, which is supprisingly very soon after the bug has bitten. One of my candidates went for the traditional high wing and was serverly dissapointed with its performance after the P51 PTS, this young girl only had four months training on the PTS and is now flying an Extra 300L competently.

Please do not take this personnaly, but we also have a responsiblity to move with the times and not stay in the mould of our crinckly exterior and in my case folicly challanged exterior.

Pleas do try the Hanger 9 P51 PTS you will be suprised.

I do not think anymore can be achived on this site with this topic, I do think that a thread for experienced instructors to exchange ideas Would make a good thread for us and for inexperienced people to eaves drop on. What do you think?
Mike
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 PM
britbrat

Please do not take this personnaly, but we also have a responsiblity to move with the times and not stay in the mould of our crinckly exterior and in my case folicly challanged exterior.

I do not think anymore can be achived on this site with this topic, I do think that a thread for experienced instructors to exchange ideas Would make a good thread for us and for inexperienced people to eaves drop on. What do you think?
Mike

We obviously share the same barber & look in the same mirror.

I think that the idea of an instructor's forum is a really good one.

BTW, have you experimented with the "Ragland Technique" as an alternative to instructing with buddy boxes? I'm about to participate in an evaluation of that technique for MAAC, & lots of input would be usefull, in addition to trying it first hand.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:36 AM
BaldEagel

Britbat
I'm afraid I do not know what the "Ragland technique" is being in the Uk we may know it by a different name?
Mike
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 AM
rustleruss
My Feedback: (3)

Number one issue for the P51 mustang PTS system or any plane You will need an instructor if you never tryed the sport join a club find an instructor learn the best way......... oh and the P51 mustang PTS system comes with the softwere to plug into your pc for the raining days and nights while your learning good luck have fun i love that plane is so cool
Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 AM
elenasgrumpy

ORIGINAL: gysgt6414

If you have the basics down, a Hobico Stury Birdy is what I learned on and still fly one today. I taught myself to fly it and went through some rough landings a crashes. Some mods and epoxy and she was in the air again. I don't recommend learning on your own but it can be done. Just be in a place that will not injure anyone or property because you will crash. At $59 bucks and $20 for a .40 or .46 LA on Ebay and your in there. It will even fly with .25 LA but I would go with the .40. Still light, super reliable and easy to tune. Not that powerful but you don't want that learning. I even had to add nose weight to mine with the .40 on the front to get the balance right. I can take off and land in my front yard and I live in a subdivision.

I'll bet your neighbors just love you! Lol I wouldn't suggest trying this at home. Get your AMA membership, go to your local club, & talk with the guys there. See what kind of training program they have in place. Meet & talk with the Instructor that will be teaching you to fly. He will have suggestions & answers for you. He probably also has a favorite plane that he likes to train on. Many clubs have a club trainer that they will let you learn on while you decide which plane to buy or build. Clubs that do have a club trainer usually will only ask that you buy your own fuel, along with whatever their membership fees & dues are. Most clubs have some sort of one time fee, plus your yearly dues. After that it is just the yearly dues. Good luck & have fun, but do it safely at a club with proper instruction.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Kostas1

I am suggesting you to buy a Hobbico Avistar 40 or Hobbistar 60 trainer.
If you have low badget go with the Avistar and buy a cheap but dependable OS 46 LA.
Or if you want something more stable go with the Hobbistar 60 trainer and install an OS 65LA in it.
Also if you want more power and " speed " which is not advised to a newcomer,you can buy the OS 61 FX engine.
Of course there are other engine manufacturers that offer there engines at extremely low prices such GMS (Chinese one),
but i haven't ( and won't plan to buy one ) saw one of them working so i cannot suggest them.
Quality between engine manufacturers is not the subject of the thread,i am just suggesting OS engines,because they have everything a newcomer wants:

1) performance

2) reliability

3) dependability

So,here is a link to above trainers!
Compare these airplanes with other suggestions of RCU members.

[link=http://www.hobbico.com/airplanes/hcaa2125.html]Ηοbbico Hobbistar 60[/link]

[link=http://www.hobbico.com/airplanes/hcaa16.html]Ηοbbico Avistar 40[/link]

[i]Also i forgot to mention the Nexstar!-->Excellent trainer too!

[link=http://www.hobbiconexstar.com/hcaa2025.html]Hobbico Nextar...[/link]

Name:	Pn37478.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	395788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97767.jpg
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	395789  
Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 PM
britbrat

Britbat
I'm afraid I do not know what the "Ragland technique" is being in the Uk we may know it by a different name?
Mike

Mike, did you get my reply to your query?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:23 AM
flyingJ

I'm new, but I was successfully taught to fly the hangar9 solo sport with an LA40, a qualified instructor and buddy box. The best advantage to the "ARF" is you teach yourself, with good directions the proper way to assemble, setup and adjust your plane. This plane has servied 2 seasons with me, and my wife will be traing on it this spring.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Rip n Bank

Just stumbled across this thread.

18 months ago when I got into this hobby, I looked at the choices and settled on the Hobbistar 60 with a Saito 91. This is a very good flying combination with the added power of the Saito helping you to take off "with authority" or accelerate, pull up, and go around when you botch a landing approach! It's also one of the larger trainers (71" wingspan) which helps the novice pilot make a correct assessment of the plane's orientation, especially when flying high and/or on the outer downwind loop. And the semi-symmetrical airfoil gives you the option to start basic aerobatics.

After solo'ing with the 'Star, I went on to buy, and still fly the Zaggi Tazz, the H9 UltraStick 60 (w/ Saito 100), and am currently mounting the Robart 609HD (85 degree, 3/16") retracts into my Saito 100 powered H9 P-51 60, which hasn't maiden'd yet. The Tazz has allowed me to rack up tons of valuable "stick time" in a field across from where I live instead of driving 20 minutes to the local RC airfield.

My winter side project (since I am still working on the 'Stang) was inspired by the recent articles in the AMA magazine about upgrading the Hobbistar. With about 12 hours of work, I was able to take what was basically a "retired" high-wing trainer and make it into a more interesting, and versatile sport flyer. Ditched the rubber bands and converted to a bolt-on wing (unique front attachment bracket that slides under the existing dowel), converted from tricycle to steerable tail-wheel, inverted the Saito 91 and added a top cowl, and replaced the full-length 1.25" chord ailerons with 2" split ailerons and flaps actuated by in-wing servos.

Total cost was ~$50, most of that in the 3 extra servos added to the wing. With the weight of the tail-wheel, its internal anchor bracket and my internal/external custom steering rig (rudder servo, pushrod activated, pull-pull tailwheel steering), I had to move the on-board 1650 mAh receiver battery forward under a hatch and on top of the fuel tank to get it to balance properly (with no added dead weight, though it jumped in total from 7.5 lbs to just over 8lb; nothing the Saito and the flaps can't handle!).

Taxi's and flys excellently with these mods, and the landings with full 45 degree inboard flaps is much slower than the stock Hobbistar, which (my only complaint) in stock form still has higher wing loading than something like the Cadet. Pics of the mods below.

Bo

Name:	Lj22780.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	396391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56871.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	396392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71905.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	396393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86574.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	396394  
Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Rip n Bank

More of the pics. Was over the 3MB limit...

Bo

Name:	Jh15618.jpg
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	396400   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44101.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	396401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76438.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	396402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38834.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	396403  
Old 01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Rip n Bank

Last ones, I promise!

Name:	Hf99978.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	396410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56076.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	396411  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.