Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 07:09 AM
SigPiPup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaps

I had a quick question about Flaps....basically, is it better to have them. Specifically, I was looking at Corsairs online and the one i wanted to get was the GP 40 Corsair, but it said that it wasn't meant to have flaps. Then there is the Top Flite 60 Corsair which can have flaps and retracts.

From what i can tell from the Sim i have....it's easier to land with flaps. I can only assume that that is true in real life as well.
What do you all think?
Old 11-17-2002, 07:26 AM
ctdahle

Default Flaps

Flaps slow the plane down, allow/require you to carry more power on your landing approach (good if you have trouble getting your engines to idle well), permit you to make a steeper approach safely, and reduce your roll out on landing. Many of the aerodynamically "clean" warbirds are a bear to land without them.

Retrofit your trainer with flaperons and experiment with the changes varying degrees of flap make on the handling characteristics of a model. If you make this change, you will find that your trainer still has a lot to teach you, and you will have additional skills and reflexes to apply when you finish the Corsair.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:53 AM
troyp

Default Flaps

gday Chris,

I was just wondering if you could explain exactly what flaperons are?

Thanks,

Troy.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:06 AM
SigPiPup

Default Flaps

Yeah I'll have to agree on the flaperons explanation. I've heard the term but don't know the logistics of it.

P.S. Troy, I Love Australia and want to go back.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:14 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Default Flaps

Guy's, to program in flapperons you need a computer radio & have to connect the right aileron to channel 1 & the left aileron to channel 6 on your reciever. Your radio manual will explain how to program for this. What flapperons do is allow you to use your ailerons as you normally would & you can turn the flap control & both ailerons will drop down to what ever amount you desire, while ailerons are down as flaps you still have aileron control on right stick. example, coming in for a landing, drop flaps about 10 degrees & you can still use right stick to keep wings level for landing.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:27 AM
SigPiPup

Default Flaps

Thanks for the info. I won't be able to do this since i don't have a computer radio....guess I'll have to find out the old fashioned way. Either way, I'm far from being able to fly a warbird so who knows what kind of equipment i'll have by then.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:30 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Default Flaps

You can pickup a good futaba t6xas from the radios for sale page or you can get a complete radio set from tower hobbies for about $200.00
Gil
Old 11-17-2002, 09:41 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default Flaps

The 6XAS is long in the tooth. There are far better radios out there for the money, like the RD6000.

Flaperons require a servo in each wing, rather than just one in the center section. Most people do this by installing them between two ribs, although I have a friend who used a novel approach in just widening his center servo hole to accomodate both servo. That's probably the easiest approach.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:10 PM
troyp

Default Flaps

Thanks for the explanation on Flapperons Gil. I too will have to do without them as my radio does not have enough channels.
You wouldnt like where I am in Australia right now Sigpipup. Just heading into our monsoon season so its hot and humid everyday. Its 9pm at night here now and I have the aircon cranked up.

Regards,

Troy.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:35 AM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

Default Flaps

If you've got am extra channel, a real easy thing to rig up is a couple of large flaps on the bottem of your wing. You don't need to mess with your ailerons, and it only takes a couple of nights to add. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36175_11752.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	22859  
Old 11-18-2002, 02:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Flaps

Here's another easy way to incorporate flapperons without a computer TX...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36234_7722.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	22860  
Old 11-18-2002, 05:38 PM
sdt22

Default Flaps

Flaperons can be operable without a computer radio. My old futaba skysport had the option, and I've seen older non-computer radios that had the capability.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:40 PM
SamD

Default Flaps

MikeB,

Crafty!

Sam