Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Screw Lock Connectors

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Screw Lock Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screw Lock Connectors

I was just reading through a thread on flexible throttle cable assemblies and saw several references to screw lock connectors being used. My question is this: does anyone have any first hand experience with these things coming loose in flight? I love them at the servo end of pushrods, but I have read somewhere that these things are bad about coming loose in flight. I was wondering if anyone had actual experience with that happening. Just trying to relieve my paranoia about them.

Thanks folks

Max
Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Screw Lock Connectors

IMO, anything with the small clamping contact area of an EZ Connector-type is suspect on flight controls. However, I've used them successfully for many years on throttle and nose wheel steering.

Dr.1
Old 01-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If people are successfully using them on nose gear steering, they should hold up for anything else as nose gear steering is the most punishing of on the connectors. For flight surfaces, I find it hard to find anything that works better than ball joints as they are slop free, tolerate slight missalignment well and other nice properties.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I don't recommend it to others, I use them myself on flight controls and have not (in almost 30 years) ever had one slip that was tightened properly. I do use the metal retainers and do not use the "cheap" versions like you find in many ARF's. Use the kind with the HEX/Allen screw so you can get good torque, not a screwdriver type screw.

Again, this is my opinion for my planes which are properly maintained.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Fastsky

I started using them on the advise of a long time modeler and have never had any problems. I do use the allen key that you can really snug down. I have seen signs of the EZ connector coming loose from the servo arm when I used the plastic keepers to secure the connector to the servo arm, especially on the linkage that is going to the steering nose wheel. When I switched to the metel permanent type keepers, no more coming loose!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
bruce88123

This is the ones I use
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXE114&P=K
They also make a 4-40 size but I have not tried them yet. Kinda lean toward something different for 4-40.
They sure make installation easy, just like the name implies.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:18 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I used EZ conectors on most of my planes in the past without any problems..

On my leatest plane (first in 15 years) I used a clevis for my servo conections on everything but the nose wheel and throttle.
a Clevis is nice for accurate adjustments but not easy.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:29 PM
bruce88123

With a clevis on one end (control surface) all are easy to adjust. And the last little tweak might be done at the transmitter. Always adjust the linkages first though.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I know that a lot of people on here safely use the EZ Connectors on their planes, but I'm going to give the opposite advice. I do use them, but I only use them on the throttle, nose gear steering, and sometimes the rudder. But I won't use them on any critical flight controls (i.e. ailerons and elevator) because if they come loose you won't have any control of the plane. This comes from first hand experience. I had a plane that I used EZ Connectors on the aileron. When I was flying it the controls became very mushy and I had a hard time controlling it. Since I was still pretty new in the hobby I called for help and a more experienced pilot came out and got the plane down for me. On the ground I opened it up to see what my problem was. The EZ Connector for the elevators had come loose. The only reason I got the plane back was because there was a "blob" of epoxy that had fallen on the end of the control rod, and when I pulled up the servo hit that blob and there was "just enough" up elevator to get it back on the ground. If it hadn't been for that epoxy the plane would have been toast. While others may have good luck with them, I won't use them on critical surfaces.

On most planes I will used solder links on the servo end of the control rod, and then screw on clevises on the control surface end for adjustments.

That's my 2¢ worth.

Ken
Old 01-03-2006, 06:08 PM
bruce88123

Well, the only control problem I ever had was with these
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV17&P=7

I had them on the ailerons of a plane. Correct clevis properly installed on correct size wire and it stripped in flight. Came right off the wire. OK, maybe I had a bad one. Opened a new package. Installed a new wire and new clevis, all nice and snug. 2 flights later, stripped in flight.
I now use these on that plane
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXWH32&P=K
These won't fit well everywhere but I will use them whenever I can. I used to use the Sullivans in all my planes and had never had a problem before. I'm saying that to be fair to them. I've used 100's of them without problem. I'm just glad it didn't happen on my elevator.

BTW - I had an EZ connector on the other end of the aileron link and it stayed tight
Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Bruce, you show the DuBro round connectors in your response. Great Planes sells the same thing but with a square configuration that you can actually get a wrench on and hold steady while tightening the socket head screw. Is the DuBro product superior in your opinion or is that simply the one you happened to show? If the quality is comparable, I like the square ones better--they are the ones I've been using for years.

Max
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 AM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

if they made them with ball links and threaded ends for the servos i would use them on every connection.i still trust zbends.i use the ez's on throttle,or if i use a smoke system or any other axillary system.just for my ease of mind is all.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:26 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I use the Great planes brand on almost everything...The stainless socket head cap screw's cupped end comfiguration gives a great bite on even hard rod stock, and the fact that you have a real bolt with it's correspondingly larger key socket than a setscrew allows more torque to be applied. The only place I tend to use ball joints is on throttle linkages.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:35 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have also used EZ type connectors for almost 20 years without a single failure.

And as many of you know, when I do a review, I always use whatever hardware is supplied with the plane, and I've never even had one of the "Cheap connectors that come with an ARF" come loose
Old 01-04-2006, 08:32 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Bruce, you show the DuBro round connectors in your response. Great Planes sells the same thing but with a square configuration that you can actually get a wrench on and hold steady while tightening the socket head screw. Is the DuBro product superior in your opinion or is that simply the one you happened to show? If the quality is comparable, I like the square ones better--they are the ones I've been using for years.

Max
I have nothing against the Great Planes product and will admit to not having tried them. I use the wire itself to apply torque to the fitting. Not attempting to promote any particular brands here, only promote different ideas, as long as they work.

Similar to my choosing Microfastener products over RTL. They just carry a bigger selection of stainless steel hardware which is what I prefer. I tend to list all possibilities and let you guys choose what you like
Old 01-04-2006, 04:37 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use ez connectors on a lot of things but still like the main controls to have more solid connectors (elev / ailerons ). I think where people got the idea that they weren't the best to use was from a few years ago ( 15 or so ) when some of the imported stuff was using a very soft wire for the control rods. When tightening the ez connector down it would flatten the rod some then in time would loosen up as the rod was soft and wouldn't hold up. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Mode One

I only use them on throttle and nose gear or other non-flight systems. If they are working for all you guys which use them, "great" and I wish you continued success! However, I still won't be using them as I am a firm believer in the "K.I.S.S." principal. This dictates that less parts, equals better, so I use "Z-bends", "Snapper Keepers" or solder clevis' at the servo and threaded clevis' at the control horns.

As I completed writing the above, I thought, Mark, what about your FuntanaS .40 3D, in which you have used ball links at both the horn and servo? In this case, I guess I like the tightness and low friction of the system, so the added complication seemed justified. We're low time on this plane so my opinion on the system has yet to evolve!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:19 PM
ELTIGRE

I certainly agree. reason some seem to denigrate or mistrust these things is they dont properly install them to begin with. if you file a small notch at the contact point, tighten securely, DONT REUSE the plastic snap they will work fine & have for many years. ball joints are fine too however I have occasionally seen the nut work loose- best use locktite.
ORIGINAL: Rodney

If people are successfully using them on nose gear steering, they should hold up for anything else as nose gear steering is the most punishing of on the connectors. For flight surfaces, I find it hard to find anything that works better than ball joints as they are slop free, tolerate slight missalignment well and other nice properties.