Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

tomorrow is the day... first flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

tomorrow is the day... first flight

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 10:36 PM
dave0101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tomorrow is the day... first flight

After a rained out first lesson, then a couple of weekends busy with the family, I'm finally scheduled for a first lesson tomorrow (Thursday 11/20).

The wind has been on and off, lets's hope it's off, or at least less than 10-15 mph tomorrow....

I figure I'll put in an hour on realflight tonight, final check on plane, charge everything up.... pack spare underwear...
I think I waited too long after my canceled lesson a few weeks ago, I'm not as eager, but more scared; who knows maybe that's a better temperament's.

Oh well, just ranting... Thanks for all the advice to date...
Old 11-20-2002, 10:44 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default dave

Good luck tomorrow, my first flight wasn't that long ago. I still remember the feeling, I have about 20 flight's in now but NW weather has kept me grounded for the last 4 weekend's. So , back to realflite for me also, then the hope for kind weather this Saturday. Remember, altitude is our friend Please come back and let us (me) know how it went . Buz^
Old 11-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Dogz

Funny you should mention it, I had my first lesson only a few hours ago, what a buzz, my palms are still sweaty. Got caught in traffic so I was about 1 or 2 min late, the instructor showed me the controls and fired up the plane. I thought don’t we have to some pilot briefing…lol.

We started with some basic aileron turn were I only had aileron controls and he had the rest, after 10 or 15 minutes of circuits we did a few figure 8’s then he landed and refueled. On the second trip up I practiced the feel on the elevators by doing a few up and down moves then did some banked turns with use the ailerons and elevators to maintain height. We did another quick refuel and hit the air again. On the last run we practiced runway approaches with no power and finally with a lot of guidance I did a landing.

I had a great time………. I’m glad I haven’t got my LT40 finished yet or an engine for the plane because I feel like I could fly a real 747 but I know if I went solo, my plane would turn into a pile of stick in no time flat…… One thing that helped me was 5 or 6 hours on FMS on the PC, I might only be using the keyboard but it does give you a fell for an R/C plane the major difference is the real r/c seems a lot faster and doesn’t have a reset button.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:36 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

OK Dave, I'm only gonna warn you once then your on your own. Be prepared to face the greatest addiction you'll ever experience. The adrenalin rush your going to experience is over whelming, be prepared you'll want to go back again and again and again. Before you know it you'll selling your self on the streets to get another flight. May God have mercy on your soul
Old 11-21-2002, 04:14 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Enjoy it, Dave! This is when it all starts to become worthwhile!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:57 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default respiration

And...don't forget to BREATHE A good deep breath at least every 30 seconds will steady the knees and lower the pulse rate a little bit.

Good Luck.