Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig Somethin' Extra Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig Somethin' Extra Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Somethin' Extra Build

Got the front right wing sheeting in place...

A damp rag across the surface really softens up the sheeting to help it lay against the ribs before you glue/pin it down.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:00 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

So why wouldn't you want those same qualities for the rest of the build instead of making it tedious with the weights and cans and waiting? The instructions suggest CA and all this time I assumed it was because of an aversion to CA because of fumes and/or allergies. Alphatic is no stronger, possibly heavier, only slightly less expensive, so where is the advantage?
Why can't we just let him build it the way he wants to? Maybe he would rather smell CA on occasion rather than all day? Aliphatic resin is his choice for the majority of the assembly, respect that please
Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Ditto, Bruce.

BB, I'm not sloppy with the glue. As a matter of fact, I use Q-tips and damp paper towels to clean up excess aliphatic as I build. I know; that takes a lot of time. See "relaxation" in Webster's...

But I'm also not a master craftsman, and some of my joints (such as where wing sheeting attaches to the LE, where fuse sides come together with tri-stock underneath- and is INTENDED to sanded down past the glue joint- etc.) end up with exposed glue. Aliphatic fares better here than CA, as it is cut down by the sandpaper at the same "rate" as the wood.

CA is very hard and will leave a "ridge".

Okay???????????????????????????????

Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: bruce88123
Why can't we just let him build it the way he wants to?
Amen to that. I'm sure there's a glue war thread to take this battle to. [:'(]

Everybody's different & likes to use different glue's for different things. I started with Alphatic & swithced to mostly CA because I'm of the less patient variety. Does that make my planes better or worse, nope. It just works for me!

Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
BasinBum

You know I just asked the guy a legit question (which he politely answered) and several of you seem to get bent out of shape over it.What's with comments like, " Why can't we just let him build it the way he wants to?" and " Amen to that." ? God forbid someone should ask a question without you guys thinking it is an attack on his character. It's not like I havn't offered some good advice and complements on his build having built two of these models myself. The only reason I have followed this thread is I am intrigued by the use of alphatic to build because before there was CA I used Ducco Cement (ambroid). I use alphatic extensively at work but havn't seen the use with my models except for the fuse doublers on this plane. I have assumed that it was because of an allergic reaction to the CA and find differances in peoples preferances interesting.

ORIGINAL: richx1
... but then I still have a supply of CA because it has it's uses... so far I have used it to attach the leading edge of the sheeting (who wants to align and rig that setup to glue down?).
Uh...that would be Steve Cambell.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 AM
richx1

You know I just asked the guy a legit question (which he politely answered) and several of you seem to get bent out of shape over it.What's with comments like, " Why can't we just let him build it the way he wants to?" and " Amen to that." ? God forbid someone should ask a question without you guys thinking it is an attack on his character.
With all respect and in no way trying to further this side discussion, I believe it is because you pressed your point not just one time but a few times and (in my opinion) in a public effort tried to make him look like a hypocrite when he used CA to repair some damage. If you didn't mean to imply that you may want to say that.

Now that I have that said... I just want to say that all ya'll glues suck! You need to use [link=http://www.livescience.com/technology/050413_nature_glue.html]this one[/link]. That glue is "strong." Has a lot of "mussel." HAR HAR - okay, enough of the corny jokes.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I'm crushed, BB... at least you could spell my name right...

Old 01-31-2006, 03:12 PM
BasinBum

Well Rich, since you're keeping track of my posts to this thread I hope you noticed the positive ones also.

Campbell, Campbell, Campbell....happy now?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
richx1

Well Rich, since you're keeping track of my posts to this thread I hope you noticed the positive ones also.
I have and for me to not mention them was rude. I appologize and look forward to more posts... both critical and not.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Test005

I build with aliphatic resin, but sheeting is one place I use CA to get the sheeting started.

1. Attach sheeting to LE with CA
2. Put aliphatic resin on all ribs
3. Spray sheeting with water
4. Fold back sheeting and pin/weight
Old 01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
richx1

ORIGINAL: Test005

I build with aliphatic resin, but sheeting is one place I use CA to get the sheeting started.

1. Attach sheeting to LE with CA
2. Put aliphatic resin on all ribs
3. Spray sheeting with water
4. Fold back sheeting and pin/weight
You've read my mind.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:25 AM
somegeek

Got the top of the right wing sheeted this evening(pins and clothes pins removed)...

Old 02-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Test005

That looks good.
In fact I started on a new SSE build this Sunday and I've completed both wings. ail, rudd, elev, stab and have basically only the fuselage left before hinging and final sanding.

Second build is so much faster when I know what to do and what goes where.

Next time I go to the field I bring two SSE's and a big smile
Old 02-03-2006, 12:08 AM
somegeek

Got the top LE & TE sheeting glued and pinned in place.

This build is taking a little longer than I anticipated but it's all good since I would not be able to fly anyways with the weather up here in the spring. My LT-40 went together much quicker but the wing pieces didn't have much sheeting and most everything was pre-cut. Only took 1 night per wing half.

Getting anxious to get goin on the cowl. Once I get this wing sheeted I can occupy my work space with the fuselage.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:59 AM
Deadeye

Hi. I just got started on this kit today. I have the right wing nearly built (no sheeting yet). And have modifed the elevator / hor stab as can be seen in the following pictures. Everything locks into place pretty tightly, and my added width on elevator is not on existing seams. I plan on rounding it more on the ends to make it sleeker.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40697.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	400985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12596.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	400986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63006.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	400987  
Old 02-03-2006, 06:15 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Deadeye,
If you are going that much in oversizing the elevator, then I can probably assume tht you are looking for extreme control throws as well. If that is the case, then you will most definitely need to open up the inner elevator to allow for greater rudder deflection.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
h@h racing
My Feedback: (1)

Deadeye
You might drill some holes to lighten up the tail a little. I added some to the rudder and widened the v in the elevator for clearance also added counter balances and the plane came out tail heavy. Battery located under the tank and a little weight on the nose with a balsa cowl added.

Name:	Sq48483.jpg
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	401140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76388.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	401141  
Old 02-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Deadeye

Excellent points, guys. I shall get busy with the dremel and lighten things up a bit. I didn't think about the rudder clearance either. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
huck328
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for posting those pictures of the extended rudders and elevators. I've got one of these planes on my building board right now. I just covered the wings and I plan on extending and covering the tail section this weekend. I don't want to add too much weight (I'm going electric with an AXI 4120) and wonder how much is extension is enough for good 3d flight. Until I saw these pictures, I was going to simply CA on a solid 1" strip to the rudder.

h@h - your rudder extension looks kind of weak (no insult intended)... Has it seen airtime yet? Does that extension hold up to the pressure of tight turns or does it flex? I'm asking because I would love to simply stick up an extension like you did, but I worry that it might snap off. If it has seen airtime, is the extension so extreme that you only use a small degree of rudder travel? Would you have done it shorter, longer or the same length if you could do it again?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:10 PM
h@h racing
My Feedback: (1)

Working on the second gallon of fuel and still in one piece. I have seen a picture of a modified rudder that they added to the middle at the seam. Its only about 1 inch longer. Rudder is set so it misses the elevator by about 3/8 of an inch and it has been used.

Name:	Ro41921.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	401195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12472.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	401196  
Old 02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
somegeek

Got the right wing sheeted, sanded and end cap installed(still need to clean up the end cap a touch).

Again, holding off on the W1 rib installation until the fuselage is done so I can sand where needed on rib W1A so W1 rib lays flat against the fuselage and W1A.

Fuselage glued and weighted in place. Did a bunch of checking from front to back before and after adding the glue and getting in place to verify the sides are square. Good to go!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:49 AM
bruce88123

Good progress. Should be flying this spring.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 AM
somegeek

Assembled some of the tail and control surfaces tonight.

Added 1" to the rudder.

A couple of the pieces were cracked outta the box and needed to be CA'd. Will glue those up tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:08 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: somegeek

Assembled some of the tail and control surfaces tonight.

Added 1" to the rudder.

A couple of the pieces were cracked outta the box and needed to be CA'd. Will glue those up tomorrow.
Are you building off the plans?

EDIT Meaning, I don't see plans under you built pieces.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:36 AM
Kostas1

What do you use for building board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.