Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How much CA?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How much CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Air Boss 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much CA?

I'm in the process of assembly my 1st trainer. I'm trying to attach the ailerons to the wing with CA. The instructions say to add a FEW drops of thin CA but not to over do it. How many drops would be enuf but not too much?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How much CA?

6 to 10 drops on each side of the hinge
Old 02-04-2006, 05:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Just what it says, a few drops. 5-10 drops per hinge.

Ken
Old 02-04-2006, 05:10 PM
richrd

This is correct watch as you add the CA it will stop wicking into the hinge when enough has been added. BTW Thier are may ways to do this some drill a small hole in each side to aid in the wick process some also fold the hinge ... then add wax, oil, or chap stick. This is to not alowe the CA to harden the hinge but in the long run as long as it's glued in go fly.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Mode One

I guess I don't use as much as the rest of you. I only apply about 2-3 drops per side, per hinge. I drill a single 1/16th hole near the center of where the hinge slot is, install the hinges with a pin in the center to keep the amount of hinge equal on both sides of the hinge line. Then I remove the pin, close the gap and deflect the hinges to maximum deflection and apply the CA to one side. Then I work the hinge until I am certain the CA has kicked-off, flip the surfaces over and do the same thing over again. Don't forget to test the security of the hinge by tugging on the control surface. Better to have it fail now, as opposed to in the air. On ailerons and elevators I will seal the gap, with covering material. If I have any doubts about security, I will pin the hinges with tooth picks.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:54 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

I think it might be important to define the size of a drop. If you are using CA directly from the bottle 2-3 drops is quite a bit of CA -- However if you are using an applicator tip or micro-dropper the drops are significantly smaller. This is my guess (your mileage may very) but one large drop directly from tip of bottle may equal 2-3 micro-drops.

Just my .02 cents

Mark
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Extractor

I know many have suggested drilling this hole....can someone provide a picture of this or diagram........cross-sectional view would be nice ....I just fail to understand exactly where and how this hole is drilled....Thanks...S
Old 02-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Dr1Driver

5-10 drops of thin CA??? No, no, no!!!

Mode One is correct. See my writeup below.

Dr.1

CA Hinge Installation

There are several rules to follow for an easy, correct CA hinge installation. These rules are good for hinges from different manufacturers, including Great Planes and Radio South. I’ve used them on many planes from pylon racers to Unlimited class Fun Fly planes to even a giant scale Stinger (the 1/4 scale size hinges). I have never seen an in-flight failure using this procedure.

I have seen only two in-flight hinge failures. One failure was from catastrophic flutter, which also destroyed the wing panel. The other was due to doubled hinges and the use of thick CA.

Here we go:

Use a #11 blade to cut the slots.
Cut only once per side/per hinge.
Use only thin CA.
Do not double the hinges.
Do not use “kicker”.
Install after covering.

1. Slot the wood pieces, install the hinges, and mount the control surface. Gently push the pieces together.
2. Flex the control surface both ways for the maximum amount of travel you expect to use. This will automatically create the proper hinge line gap.
3. Slowly drop 2-3 drops of CA on each hinge at the hinge line on one side only. If any CA puddles in the hinge line, blot it with a paper towel.
4. When that is dry, apply 2-3 drops of CA to the other side of each hinge.
5. When both sides are dry, flex the control surface both ways.

That’s it! The wood will pull out before the hinge will let go. The surface will tend to stay centered and will not flop around. Both will help prevent flutter.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Mode One

I believe a drop is a drop, and determined by surface tension of the liquid forming the drop. If applicator tips produce smaller drops, this is news to me! However, I'm talking straight from the bottle, through the supplied tip.

I can't supply a photo of the hole drilled, to allow good capillary action of the CA. However a verbal description is pretty simple: The hole is drilled from the same direction the hinge slot is installed in the part. So on the fin, if the hinge slot is a 3/4ths inch slot cut into the fin, the hole will be centered on the slot or 3/8ths inch from each end of the slot. The hole is drilled in the same plane as the hinge slot is cut. The idea is to allow a channel for the CA to flow deeply into the hinge slot, then out along the interface between the wood and the hinge's surface.
Hinge slot with hole: Hinge slot without:
I-----O-----I I-----------I
Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Dr1Driver

The hole will probably help, but I don't believe it's necessary. CA will wick about 1/2" in each direction from where the drop is applied. That's the beauty of CA. However, if it gives you peace of mind to do it, go for it.

Dr.1
Old 02-05-2006, 12:23 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

I believe a drop is a drop, and determined by surface tension of the liquid forming the drop.
In addition to Surface Tension --Flow Rate, Pressure, and Spray Angle impact the size of a drop. In this case Flow Rate would be reduced using one of the common applicator tips available vs straight from the bottle.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Mode One

I think if pressure and spray angle effect the size of your CA drops, your hobby room must have a thick glaze of CA all over it. It's all good, however, as CA is fuel proof!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:06 AM
SENZA

air boss this may help you under stand [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=55]reviews [/link]