Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Found a used nexstar setup

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Found a used nexstar setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:49 PM
DogAddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a used nexstar setup

I found a used nexstar setup for a good buy. It is a couple of years old, has the O.S. 46 fx in it and everything else. It has been flown very little and never been wrecked. What do I need to look at to make sure it's as good as he says it is?

Addict
Old 03-12-2006, 12:38 AM
shussey

Default RE: Found a used nexstar setup

A couple of things to check....

Have him charge the batteries in both the transmitter and receiver and turn them both on.

Then see if the receiver works by moving the sticks on the transmitter back and forth....You should see the control surfaces on the plane go back and forth as you move the sticks on the transmitter.

You will also want to check to see that the main wheels are tightly snapped together.

Then start the engine and throttle up and listen for the engine to transition smoothly to full power.

About the AFS or auto flight thing....I wouldn't worry about it. You will want to turn that off when you start flying...it's crap and won't help you learn to fly.

Make sure you get the simulator software and transmitter connector so you can practice on your computer. It's a great way to practice flying without risking your bird.

I learned on a Nexstar and really enjoyed flying the plane....so if you could get a good deal on one - get it....you will enjoy it.

PM me if you need more info or help with the plane.

Scott

Old 03-12-2006, 01:31 AM
damien1
My Feedback: (1)

Their great planes, I'll say that right now. Its really stable and good to learn on. I have one, and its my first plane and I'm really pleased with it. The simulator is a good tool to get started on but nothing beats the expirence of having her in the air. With all of the trainer functions attatched, she'll glide for hours and never stall due to low speed. Pretty forgiving and pretty tough plane. She can take quite a hit. She's a great first plane in my opinion.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:50 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

If all of the above mentioed things check out & the price is right BUY IT! You can prolly get him to throw in the flight gear too, unless he's just moving on to more advanced planes. But if he's getting out of the hobby try to get a deal on all his gear. Glow ignitor, starter, field box, chargers , whatever he's got, etc.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:46 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: DogAddict

I found a used nexstar setup for a good buy. It is a couple of years old, has the O.S. 46 fx in it and everything else. It has been flown very little and never been wrecked. What do I need to look at to make sure it's as good as he says it is?

Addict
To add to shussey is when you first turn on the transmitter don't extend the antanna just keep it collapse. of course "that's only while checking plane on the ground" and check the clevise pins to controls horn, I lost a Nexstar with a broken or defective clevis pin to the elevator control horn. I replaced them with metals types.

roltech
Old 03-12-2006, 09:23 PM
DogAddict

Well I picked up the plane and everything today. All of it is in really good shape. Not a scratch on the transmitter, no discoloration of the motor and everything works as it should. Engine runs great and no sounds or twitching from the servos. There where a couple of tiny punctures on the covering but i've got some white monokote to make a small patch.

Can I trust the landing gear or would it be good to buy some that are fixed permanently to the fuse. I'm not sure I like how they snap in there.

Addict
Old 03-12-2006, 09:52 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: DogAddict

Well I picked up the plane and everything today. All of it is in really good shape. Not a scratch on the transmitter, no discoloration of the motor and everything works as it should. Engine runs great and no sounds or twitching from the servos. There where a couple of tiny punctures on the covering but i've got some white monokote to make a small patch.

Can I trust the landing gear or would it be good to buy some that are fixed permanently to the fuse. I'm not sure I like how they snap in there.

Addict
I lost one gear once, but filing the gear hole a bit larger and make sure it snaps in, and try to pull it out , if it stays in, it should not be a problem, your good to go.

roltech