Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Please read!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 09:50 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read!

We recently had a very new member come to our site and post some very beginner questions, questions that most of us would look at and say WOW this guy knows nothing at all. Well someone took it upon them selve to go back door with this member and tell him just how stupid he was and even verbally attacked his family in the process. If I find out who this was I will personally slam the door on them and they will never be able to come into this site again. We are here to help the new person, not belittle him and chase him away. We all were new this hobby at one time and yes we asked some pretty dumb questions along the way, but I bet no one ever said how dumb you were for not knowing the answer. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated and it sure does make me angry!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2002, 10:32 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Second the motion

While it may seem over the edge after being in the hobby for a while many just don't know what is involved. Most have no clue as to how much it takes to actually fly a model aircraft. Art and I have been at this for a long while. If you don't have anything to contribute then don't start to criticize.

EXCAP232
Old 12-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Crash Master

Default Please read!

Go Get 'EM Art!!!

I don't know what the post was, but just based on your response, I agree that we were all beginners at one time and we all asked questions that someone may have thought was stupid. But the only way that we learn is by asking questions and if a rookie can't come into this great forum and get civil answers to his (or her) question(s), then there is something drastically wrong here. I hope that as a moderator you have been able to communicate with this rookie to square things away and not let him/her get chased off by some inconsiderate a$%hole.

Keep in mind that the only DUMB question is the one that goes unasked.

Just my .0002 worth,
Old 12-24-2002, 10:46 PM
rcspud
My Feedback: (2)

Default Please read!

Im with you guys,Im new to this hobby too,and would not like to be told to go stick my head in the sand.

GO GET 'EM!!!
Old 12-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Tattoo

Default Please read!

It is a shame, especially in a hobby where most of the participants are the nicest people you could ever meet. I know the thread you are talking about, because I had just finished writing a well thought out reply to try to relate how we had educated a new pilot, stopped him from destroying a winter's work, and made a new friend. Within the hour, the whole thread dissapeared. Obviously, the guy must have contacted you about the incident, but why didn't he let you know who the offender was?
Old 12-24-2002, 11:36 PM
Dzlstunter

Default Please read!

Fire at will. Take no prisoners. I just hope we didn't lose the new guy/gal from the hobby; we could afford to lose the wise---.

I would hate to have had some of my friends who fly glow- powered models eavesdrop on the questions I put to Doug at Mountain Models prior to my ordering my first eflight system! It was like kindergarten all over--and I have been building/flying models for 45+ years. They could have had a field day.

Whenever someone starts at "square one," he/she either asks the so-called "dumb" questions or doesn't learn anything. BTW, Doug was VERY patient and answered MANY very basic questions for me. Dzl
Old 12-24-2002, 11:38 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions?

I don't have all the answers and for the very few of us out there that know it all and think ANY question is dumb, I bow my head to you....and by the way...you should clean up and get out of here...why you still hanging around...you know everything!!
Old 12-25-2002, 12:23 AM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Default Please read!

What post was it?
Old 12-25-2002, 12:33 AM
GrnBrt

Default Please read!

I asked who it was but he had deleted the e-mails and flushed them because some of the content wasn't very nice. I have been in this hobby for 49 years and sometimes it can be very difficult to put yourself in the beginners position, but to call one stupid is beyond all logic. We have to have a lot of patience when dealing with a newbie and if one doesn't have that then it's best to back off and let someone else help him. all you guys have been great in helping and I thank you for that but it took one stupid idiot and his holy then thou attitude to ruin it for one person. We lost him as a member but he assures me that he will search out a local club and get the help that he needs. I, at his request removed the threads and Tattoo what you posted was just fine and well done, as always!
Old 12-25-2002, 12:45 AM
Oregon Craig

Default Please read!

I'm sorry, but this may or may not have actually happened. I guess I say that as it is so hard to imagine. I would assume that it MAY HAVE happened, unless proof is provided. It sounds a little fishy. He was angry enough to leave this group, but has no Idea who and no copies of anything. These stories seem to surface now and again. Maybe it did happen, Merry Holidays to all.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:50 AM
GrnBrt

Default Please read!

Well until we can prove otherwise I will go by what he sent me. He did give me a good clue as to who it might be though. How many times have you received an unwanted e-mail and flushed it?? I know that I have on many occasions and I clean out my folders every night so there goes the evidence, and yes I have also on occasion kicked myself in the tooch for flushing that folder so quickly.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:17 AM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Default Please read!

I must say that that is ONE horrible thing to do. I myself am still kinda new to this hobby and the questions I ask I know some have been on the stupid side, but I have never been told so and I hope I never do.

I have since day one of finding this site found it very helpful, and a great source of knowledge is also within the members here. I must say I am very impressed with this site and the members here.

At this time and since I don't know any of you personally would like to THANK ALL OF YOU for welcoming me to this great site and helping me with the questions I have asked.

Thanks to ALL and hope all have a VERY MERRY HOLIDAY Season and keep the planes flying...

Thanks,
Old 12-25-2002, 06:16 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default Please read!

That fool must have been one the blessed few that are born with all the knowledge needed for RC and never had to learn or ask questions.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:25 AM
pinball-RCU

Default Please read!

Originally posted by GrnBrt
[B]I asked who it was but he had deleted the e-mails and flushed them because some of the content wasn't very nice.
It seems you should still be able to track down the offender. I don't think RCU allows you to see other member's email addresses, so the offender must have used the form for sending email. Just look at the logs of who sent email via RCU to the member.

Personally, I see no need for the email option at all. Private messages work fine, and they kind of "stay in the forum". They allow one-to-one messages, but are not really "back door".
Old 12-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Default Please read!

Your wrong - I use the email option alot
Old 12-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Please read!

I guess I am tooting my own horn, but I've been flying for almost 14 years and instructing for over half of those. This is one of the first places I go on RCU to see if anyone needs any help. I usually look for the threads with little replys - those people may be looking for an answer that no one has gave yet. I'm just writing this to let any beginners know that for every bad apple in this hobby there is hundreds of people who are willing to give their time and lend a hand.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:04 AM
raderrustler

Default Please read!

Well I am just getting back into planes after a hefty 30 yr absence and I wiil be pestering and asking lots of questions in relation to flying,tactics,building...rebuilding etc. and if anyone wishes to call me stupid or whatever then so be it. I will never let the single loud mouth ruin what the masses are saying. First question. If I water my Alpha that I just planted from 40 feet will it grow back?
Randy
Old 12-28-2002, 06:03 AM
CMAN

Default Please read!

thats a darn shame.
i figure thats kind of what this board is for ask what you dont know and people answer.

I also know whats its like to be knew i was kinda intemadated when first asking questions. but hey you gotta learn somehow and to date i find 99.9999% of the people in the hobby vary helpful even though im a punk 24 year old.

and anyone with anything to ask i know i wont find it stupid cause the odds are i dont know it either
Old 12-28-2002, 07:10 AM
LoboFlyer

Default Please read!

Originally posted by raderrustler
First question. If I water my Alpha that I just planted from 40 feet will it grow back?
Randy
Totally. If you wait long enough, it will grow into a .90 size plane! I hope you like green covering

I used to be on the tech support team for phpBB (free alternative to vBulletin, et. al.) so I have firsthand experience helping people who have no idea what they are doing getting the software up and running. In fact, some of these people probably shouldn't have been running a public website, but that's another story.

The problem arises when people keep asking the same question over and over and over and over again. Nothing wrong with not knowing even the most basic things, but I always preached a search first, ask new questions later motto. I always like to see someone at least TRY to help themselves before I spend the time and energy showing them how to help themselves. My usual response to a FAQ type question usually involved an answer to the sort of: "Been discussed at length in the past, __________ here is the thread its been discussed in." And then I usually lock the topic for housekeeping reasons. If it is something that is either easily answered or has not been discussed recently, then I will help them with their question at length.

It is totally unacceptable to privately berate someone for asking a question. Not only is that poor netiquette, it is cowardly. Berate them in public. Then we can see what kind of a person you are, and the moderators can swiftly ban you instantly.

Besides, even if you tried, none of you could ever insult me. This is because none of you know me personally
Old 12-31-2002, 06:44 PM
uonlylivetwice
My Feedback: (2)

Default Please read!

While you are all correct that it makes no sense to read the beginners section just to call people stupid for asking 'beginner' questions, I think it is important to point out that people do have very bad experiences with others in this hobby. I have moved a number of times, and been exposed to a number of clubs. A couple have been extremely great, some are just nice guys that want to enjoy the hobby, and will gladly offer some help, and others are lousy organizations of guys that don't want anyone new getting in the way, particularly someone with a trainer plane and questions. By definition you are all courteous enough just to spend the time reviewing the beginners section and offering help and advice, much of which has been invaluable to me as well, but MOST guys certainly don't go out of their way looking to help, as you all are just by being here, and moreover, it doesn't help when someone new has a lousy experience and then hears' well gee, most guys are really nice". It's not always the case. Particularly if you don't fit the mold of someone who 'should' be in the hobby, as I have been told in the past. Just something to keeep in mind.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:41 PM
Crashem

Default Please read!

I have moved a number of times, and been exposed to a number of clubs. A couple have been extremely great, some are just nice guys that want to enjoy the hobby, and will gladly offer some help, and others are lousy organizations of guys that don't want anyone new getting in the way, particularly someone with a trainer plane and questions.

uonlylivetwice,

The situation you describe can be found in most if not all social activities

You gots to take the good with the bad....
Old 12-31-2002, 09:49 PM
strato911

Default No such thing as a stupid question

As a long time Computer Technician, I am often faced with someone asking a "Stupid Question". Often they even start by saying "I have a stupid question, but how do I ...". My answer almost always starts with "The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked, and hence never gets answered."

No matter what our area of expertise, there's always something new to learn. On occasion, even the "newbies" can provide helpful ideas, since they are viewing the problem from a different perspective.

Hopefully you'll find out who the a@@wh@@@ was who did this, and we can ALL berate him/her into leaving his/her asinine attitude out of this forum.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:37 PM
GrnBrt

Default Please read!

No matter what our area of expertise, there's always something new to learn.
Now this is so true. I have been in this hobby nearly 50 years now as I got started at a very young age. I have seen a lot of things come and go and over this entire time I have been learning, and I still am, and will until I go to the flying field in the sky! Heck even now I find myself asking what I feel is a stupid question, but, if you want an answer then you have to ask the question. I am thankful that those of you who come to this forum take the time to keep answering the same questions over and over again. Have a happy new year!