Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Engine for trainer? >

Engine for trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine for trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 04:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine for trainer?

Originally posted by bdtsr
Whirly Bird
I didn't see the link but, I did just get home from working grave shift! Actually I buy fuel from Musser's out in Buck Pa. If I run out I can get it locally at H&R in Northfield (S&W about $11 a gal.). I will be placing an order with Morgan Fuels in the spring for their Mach 7 brand but that will only be 15%. I buy 6 cases at a shot and they ship by truck ($12.80 per gal.) to my friends gas station. Since it goes by truck, there is no haz-mat fee.
Brian
Here's the flnk for the fuel supplier.
http://www.s-whobby.com/fuel.html
Old 01-06-2003, 06:44 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RVator,

I also have Balsa USA Stick 40 with strip ailerons with the tri gear.
I also fly off of grass. I started out with a OS 40 LA. Not enough power and a crappy engine IMO.

I do think you need a 46.

I tried the Tower 46's, good power but harder to tune and they did not want to shut off. Even when the carb was completely closed it would still run.

I now buy Thunder Tiger Pro 46's.

I like these engines and you can easily use them in your next plane.

I have them on a Sport and a Somethin' Extra.

Good Luck

Bill
Old 01-06-2003, 08:06 PM
My Feedback: (26)

"I also fly off of grass. I started out with a OS 40 LA. Not enough power and a crappy engine IMO. "

I disagree, and think they are great engines. Set up properly, they are the most reliable engines out there. As most engine problems are fuel or fuel system related, I think that must have been your problem. If you had low nitro fuel and high grass, I can see you having a problem. With 15% fuel, I've always had enough power. For trainers they're perfect, as you don't want to be screaming through the sky. People get used to the planes faster when they are going slower.

I too love the 46 FX, but I think bushing engines are the best choice for first time flyers.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:25 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a TH .40 size Trainer that I bought used for my son. This had an OS .40fp (not all that different than the la). Yes it flew the plane, but always at full throttle and not enough power that I would want for pulling a student out of trouble. I also have a LT 40 that I had an "OLD" OS Max .40 (Ball bearing engine) on it and had plenty of power. For the "Cost" of an OS la series engine you can by a quality Ball Bearing engine with around 30% more power. There is no way I would put an OS la 40 or 46 in a Tiger 2 or Advanced 40. Also, the la and fp series engines use "air bleed" type carbs, while most others use 2 needle type.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by bdtsr
I 30% more power. There is no way I would put an OS la 40 or 46 in a Tiger 2 or Advanced 40. Also, the la and fp series engines use "air bleed" type carbs, while most others use 2 needle type.
..I have the OS 40 on my trainer and have no problem with it.
I do have to run it full bore though.
But I also run it with a rich mixture maybe to rich but it rolls and will loop very smooth.
I did set the elevator throw for as much as I can get out of it so I guess that helps the loops.
The prop I have is a 10X6
Just adding my 2 cents.
GL flying
Old 01-06-2003, 09:54 PM

..I have the OS 40 on my trainer and have no problem with it.
I do have to run it full bore though.
The wing on most Trainers generate so much lift that I can't see where flying any of them at full throtle is really necessary.

don't confuse the performance of a trainer with a sport type models.

I'm able to loop and roll at 1/2-3/4 throtle on a trainer that weighs in the 5lb range. Don't relie too much on power learn to fly the plane on the wing.

My instructor way back when did two consecutive loops with my eaglet 50 AFTER the engine flamed out just to prove how much lift the average trainer wing can generate.

I believe that alot of models are being made to fly on the engine instead of the wing.

Try this test take you trainer up to 150-200 feet then idle and attempt a landing pattern I'll bet you will be surprised (after a little practice) how little altitude you actually lose
Old 01-06-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Goinstraightup
"I also fly off of grass. I started out with a OS 40 LA. Not enough power and a crappy engine IMO. "

I too love the 46 FX, but I think bushing engines are the best choice for first time flyers.
..I really don't know that much about the engines on the market today but my OS 40 so far after just about 20 hours gives me no problem.
It did come with the TH RTF so I guess it does what it's supposed to do and for the price of a big RTF I can't go wrong.
When my PITTS is built up then i'll have to look at some better quality power plants
Old 01-06-2003, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Brian Fuel prices

Brian,
Here are the fuel prices from S&W.
But 3-$4.00 a gallon cheaper theen what you said.FAI Fuel............$6.80 per gallon 25% Fuel............$14.00 per gallon
5% Fuel............$8.50 per gallon 30% Fuel............$15.00 per gallon
10% Fuel.............$9.00 per gallon or $330.00 per drum 40% Fuel............ $17.50 per gallon
12.5% Fuel...........$9.50 per gallon 45% Fuel............$19.00 per gallon
12.5% Helicopter Fuel............$9.50 per gallon 50% Fuel............$20.50 per gallon
15% Fuel...........$10.00 per gallon or $345.00 per drum 60% Fuel............$23.00 per gallon
20% Fuel............$13.00 per gallon or $485.00 per drum 20% High Peformance Car Fuel............$13.00 per gallon
20% YS Blend Fuel...........$13.00 per gallon
It's about a 2 hour drive for me but I can't beat those prices.
10 Gallons is enough for me.
Let me know where you live because I have an 87 Merc Wagon.
We just may be able to get cheaper prices if we by a batch together then split it up

Regular blends are 18% synthetic/2% castor oil

Helicopter blends 20% synthetic only

Custom blends, no additional cost, call for pricing

Call or e-mail for current pricing, quantity discounts, and freight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-07-2003, 01:52 AM

IMO if you look at price range of the engine you can come up with some pretty intresting conclusion. The LA is one of the cheapest engine other then the TT ABC they are noisy and have a little less power, but are light. You can spend 20 or 30 bucks more for the middle of the line TT BB ABC or ST 40 ring, little bit more power but are heavy and noisy. Now spend 30 or 40 bucks more and you move to the OS FX and others in the price range and you get more power, lighter, and a very quiet runing 2 cycle... You get what you pay for... But why would you want to start investing money on expensive an engine, radio, and plane if there is a chance that you might not want to stick with the hobby? Also, chances are (if you'r like me starting out hehehe) you will put that engine and plane through hell and back before it over. Spend less, have fun, and it wont hurt as bad when there is an oops(hope not). Well thats my esay for the year : o )
Old 01-07-2003, 01:59 AM

The OS 40 LA would fly the plane fine. It took most of the runway to take off.
The fuel was fine and most of the time flying it I was training.
The trainers set up the engine. It was tuned fine but as time went on it got worse and worse. It lost a lot of power. It was hard to start. Now, this is with some of the best flyers at the field setting it up.
It could have been a bad engine...
I do agree it was an easy engine to start and run but if you are going to buy one you should not expect much more than training out of it.
I got rid of it and never looked back.

My TT46 Pro that I paid $69.99 for is far superior.

But that is just my opinion.

Bill
Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are on a strict budget, spending a few extra dollars allows you to not have to spend more later. You can purchase better engine upfront and move it to a new plane and not be worried about power or buying a new engine because the first one won't do. It really becomes a matter of money AND objective.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by RedWing
The OS 40 LA would fly the plane fine. It took most of the runway to take off.
The fuel was fine and most of the time flying it I was training.
The trainers set up the engine. It was tuned fine but as time went on it got worse and worse. It lost a lot of power. It was hard to start. Now, this is with some of the best flyers at the field setting it up.
It could have been a bad engine...
I do agree it was an easy engine to start and run but if you are going to buy one you should not expect much more than training out of it.
I got rid of it and never looked back.

My TT46 Pro that I paid $69.99 for is far superior.

But that is just my opinion.

Bill
Red Wing,
I have a trainer from TH.
It's the super select 40.
I also run the OS 40 on that one.
I also run it rich.
What I do is give it full throttle.
I have just a bit of elevator set on it for UP.
At around 60 feet it starts to rotate and then I give a bit more elevator and it seems to climb for the sky like a home sick angel.
Maybe your engine needs some attention.
BTW,
I have all the controls adjusted for max throw.
It's not a fast plane and flies more like a truck but take offs are no problem.
It rolls and loops nice but I do need to keep it full bore except when coming in for a landing.
Hope this is of some help.
Maybe thats why TH came out with the new trainer that has the 46-L on it
Old 01-07-2003, 03:12 PM

Whirley Bird,

I gave up on that engine and replaced it.
I like the BB engines and I like the 46's.
I never used the full power on my trainer and still only use full during take offs with my other planes. I just have a bad taste in my mouth from that engine.

Thanks for your insite.

Bill
Old 01-07-2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by RedWing
Whirley Bird,

I gave up on that engine and replaced it.
I like the BB engines and I like the 46's.
I never used the full power on my trainer and still only use full during take offs with my other planes. I just have a bad taste in my mouth from that engine.

Thanks for your insite.

Bill
Hi RedWing.
I heard a lot about the 46's so that what is going to be the big change on the RTF AVISTAR.
That should keep me happy for a while.
Looking at the hanger 9 right now
Thanks for the post GL Flying