Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Glinder with 4.0cc engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Glinder with 4.0cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 AM
reinoks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glinder with 4.0cc engine

Handmade glinder with 4.0cc engine ... is it good idea ? and where/how to put it ...

MY palne - lenght: about 130 cm weight: 600 g
wings - lenght: 200 cm weight: 300 g

My TRANSMITTER is only with 2 channels ( check my pofile )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah my sailpane is pretty light so i have to put some weight to it ...
point is that i dont have this starting rubber ... what ever ... so it costs about 30 $ - 60 $
for this money i can buy an engine what can add some speed to my plane ...so by this way i can get my glinder up to sky ...
i want to put/install/iaffix engine what i can start easly and maybe use in in the future
and yea about this 3. channel thing (gas setting) what ever i have very old diesel engine without this gas thing...
but this engine is so old that i cant start it [:'(]

and im not so dumm that i cant get that i can set trottles...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
as i red from other forums (subforums)
4.0cc is too powerful ... it will cause rocket effect lol ... whatever
but maybe 2.5 cc is ok ?
15 LA (os engine)
and if ill put it on pane nose/top then i can get ths pane up to sky ?

pls comment

1. engine

Displacement: 4.07cc (0.249cu in)
Bore: 18mm (0.709" )
Stroke: 16mm (0.630" )
Output: 0.6 bhp @ 15,000rpm.
Practical rpm: 2,000 - 16,000rpm
Weight: 185.5g (6.54oz)
Crankshaft size: 6mm
Distance between mounting tabs: 1.89" (48mm)
Distance between mounting holes on opposite side: 1.46" (37mm)
Distance between mounting holes on same side: 0.59" (15mm)
Width of crankcase below mounting tabs: 1.10" (28.1mm)
Height from bottom of crankcase to top/cylinder head: 2.93" (74.4mm)
Length from end of crankshaft to backplate: 3.43" (87.1mm)

2. engine

Aluminum 1-piece crankcase, piston, cylinder head,
crankshaft, connecting rod, and crankshaft. Chrome-plated
Brass cylinder.
Bore: 18.0mm (.71" )
Stroke: 16.0mm (.63" )
Horsepower: 0.6 BHP at 15,000 RPM
Weight: 7.0 oz w/o muffler (9.5 oz w/ muffler)
Length: 67.5mm distance from backplate to front of drive washer
Width: 29mm width of engine neglecting engine mounting flanges.
36mm distance between the centers of mounting holes.
Height: 74.5mm
Crankshaft Thread Size: 1/4-28
Recommended Props: Break In: 9X5
Trainer and Sport Models: 9X5, 9X6
Scale Models: 9X5, 9X6, 10X5
Practical RPM Range: 2,500 - 16,000 RPM

if u now better/cheaper engine pls recoment ...

pls comment ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93379.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	505109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60116.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	505110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24693.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	505111  
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Glinder with 4.0cc engine

reinoks,
I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. But from reading what youhave said you're not going to be able to use that engine on your glider. If for nothing else because of the 2 channel radio you are using. You will need a seperate channel to control the throttle on the engine.

Ken
Old 08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

If you look close you will see that the pic of the engine on the right has a non adjustable carb. I believe that this engine was designed for control line models. So I guess you could use it on a glider with only two channels.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: LT-40

If you look close you will see that the pic of the engine on the right has a non adjustable carb. I believe that this engine was designed for control line models. So I guess you could use it on a glider with only two channels.
Yes, but the picture on the left shows a RC carb on it.

Ken
Old 08-10-2006, 12:16 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I have some old gliders that were builds of my Dads. Some of them have small cox engines mounted on the top of the wing just for getting the plane up to altitude I assume. It runs wide open like a control line or free-flight model until the small tank runs out of fuel & by then you have gained enough altitude to sail around.

The OS .40LA is much too big for this type of application imo. From looking at the plane in your pic, your plane is no bigger than the ones Dad built & the engine on these is only like a cox baby bee or an .049 I would have to look at one to be sure. If my math is correct your listing a total weight of 900 grams between wing & fuse wich comes out to about 1 lb. It shouldn't take near that much engine to get a plane that light up in the air. An .049 to .074 should be plenty I would think. Plus they will have the right type of small fuel tank mounted on the back of the engine. You don't want it to run for very long. Just long enough for you to get enough altitude for gliding right? An engine on a glider is just a method of launching it.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm

Take a look at these engines. I believe this is more along the line of what you would need for a light glider. I would post this question in the gliders & sailplanes forum though. Those guys will know better than I do about this because I don't fly gliders. I'm just going by what I see on the gliders I have. Those guys are into gliders though so they will know what you need.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 PM
reinoks

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

I have some old gliders that were builds of my Dads. Some of them have small cox engines mounted on the top of the wing just for getting the plane up to altitude I assume. It runs wide open like a control line or free-flight model until the small tank runs out of fuel & by then you have gained enough altitude to sail around.

The OS .40LA is much too big for this type of application imo. From looking at the plane in your pic, your plane is no bigger than the ones Dad built & the engine on these is only like a cox baby bee or an .049 I would have to look at one to be sure. If my math is correct your listing a total weight of 900 grams between wing & fuse wich comes out to about 1 lb. It shouldn't take near that much engine to get a plane that light up in the air. An .049 to .074 should be plenty I would think. Plus they will have the right type of small fuel tank mounted on the back of the engine. You don't want it to run for very long. Just long enough for you to get enough altitude for gliding right? An engine on a glider is just a method of launching it.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm

Take a look at these engines. I believe this is more along the line of what you would need for a light glider. I would post this question in the gliders & sailplanes forum though. Those guys will know better than I do about this because I don't fly gliders. I'm just going by what I see on the gliders I have. Those guys are into gliders though so they will know what you need.
glinder forums ... can u gimme link or name ... ?

ya i want effect like this i quess
Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_112/tt.htm]RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring [/link]
Old 08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The OS engine in the right photo is an LA 40S and of course intended for controlline airplanes and the other is the throttled version.

Reinoks I beleve you are confusing Cubic Centimeters with Cubic Inchs. The LA 40 is .40 cubic inches about 6.5 cubic centimeters. These engines are totally unsuited to your airplane.

I would use no larger than an LA 10 (.10 cubic inchs) and as the guys already pointed out without three channels minimum you will have no throttle.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUJ71&P=RF

John
Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 AM
reinoks

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

The OS engine in the right photo is an LA 40S and of course intended for controlline airplanes and the other is the throttled version.

Reinoks I beleve you are confusing Cubic Centimeters with Cubic Inchs. The LA 40 is .40 cubic inches about 6.5 cubic centimeters. These engines are totally unsuited to your airplane.

I would use no larger than an LA 10 (.10 cubic inchs) and as the guys already pointed out without three channels minimum you will have no throttle.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUJ71&P=RF

John
yeah ur right...
but i get it that if i dont have 3. channenl i cant set thease throttles... i can do it on land
i need engine what i can easly kick start and what will work about 1 min or bit more
i want get my big glinder up to sky
[:@]
the max height/attlitude waht i get was about 30 m ... comon it s nothing

but i have little engine 1.5 cc
i guess that 1.7 cc is also too light for my big palne...
when i was in russia 1 guy very old and wise i guess told me that 1.5 cc is too small...
he recomended at least 3.5 cc and he poinet at blue os engine im magazine what he had withim

maybe OSMG0015 is also OK ? this thing w8 is only 130 g its 20 more than LA 10 and OSMG0015 have 2x more power