Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Plane

Old 12-08-2006, 03:21 PM
dragline322

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Plane

Hi, I have a great intrest in getting into this hobby. I have flown battery powered Firebird type planes for a while but hate having to constantly stop and recharge the batteries, I want to get into the glow fuel end of this, I am the kind of person who must research things before just jumping in. In my research I was glad to see that it was simple to research because of the myriad of products labled for the beginner, however this is also the problem there are so many claiming to be the best. even articles which name one the best, then next week name another the best in the same publication. HELP PLEASE any advice on what should be my first Glow powered plane will be greatly appreciated.

I guess I should add some more here, the plane i was most comfortable with was the Firebird ST II, I did have a Hanger-9 P-51 PTS but i ended up crashing it on my first cord free take off. I liked the mustang, but think i really picked it out because it looked different from the other trainers. They guy at my local club told me that it was a good trainer but he had seen better and most expereinced persons in the hoby will swear by the flat bottomed trainer style wings. I did solo with the Mustang PTS so i do have just a little experience. and the added bonus is that i already have the field equipment. Ive been debating on the Hobbico, Avistar, and Superstar, any specifics on these planes would be a help also. as well as general info on other trainers.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: First Plane

I enjoy building and my first trainer was the midwest aero star. Wonderful detailed instuctions and an a very stable flying aircraft.
If you are not a builder, I have heard wonderful things about the "Nexstar" trainer. I beleive you will find multple forums regarding this plane.
Personally, I started with glow fuel and now fly 90% of the time on battery. I just found it easier and more convenient to find more places to fly with battery operated planes.

best of luck!
Mark
Old 12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: dragline322

In my research I was glad to see that it was simple to research because of the myriad of products labled for the beginner, however this is also the problem there are so many claiming to be the best.
Isn't it amazing that NONE of the manufacturers will put in their ads: "This plane is crap"? I guess they feel it may have a negative impact on sales or something.

I, for one, have never been a big fan of the PTS as a beginner plane although many love it and I have flown several with students. Too squirrelly and fragile IMO. Hey, so flame me. I'm entitled to my opinion.
Anyway, I think the Avistar would be a good choice for where you seem to be in your training. You've got the very basics down so you should be able to step right into it. It's kind of like a zippy trainer but it can still land nicely or be tamed down by reducing throws. You're past the Nexstar I believe although it wouldn't hurt. It would get old soon. Definitely not ready yet for a 4* or the likes.
You should be able to pick up an Avistar ARF and move your gear over into it and be flying by next weekend )weather permitting).
Old 12-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

If you're going to fly a .40 size high wing trainer with a flat bottomed wing and some dihedral, with tricycle gear (my recommendation) you will need a large, remotely located field. (for adequate room.) I suggest you find a club that flies from one, and ask about their training program (if any) and whether a club member might have a retired trainer, cheap. You can get help, a place to fly, and possibly good equipment at a reasonable price.

If you insist on having a plane before you go to a field, I suggest the Sig LT-40, the RCM Trainer 40, or the AeroStar. There are others that are fine, those are my recommendations. Good engines for your purposes would include the OS and Tower .46 size offerings, the Thunder Tiger .46 size, Magnum .46 size, and others.

I also recommend an instructor, and if you have the money for a flight simulator, I claim that is also a good investment. Results may vary.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-09-2006, 02:22 AM
wreckerbc1

I have to agree with SCAR about the Sig lt40.I'm currently building my first.I did extensive research on trainers then went to a couple of local clubs and asked around.The response I got was about 75% for the lt40.also recommend OS 46 ax for power but they r a bit pricey.
good luck & good flying! [8D]
Old 12-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Missileman

I would go with the avistar. You probably still have the engine and electronics from your P-51?
The avistar is a bit more aerobatic than most trainers and not as squirrelly as the P-51 (I am no fan of the PTS P-51 either)
If you still have an instructor to buddy box with you it won't hurt for the first flight or two of a new airplane.
Best of luck
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Belmont? is that over near Goldsboro NC?...man just order you up a Tower trainer..you wont find any complaints about it around here....or come over to the 1/2A forum and build you a 1/2A trainer...I hold 2 to 3 funflys a year here in Burlington..come join the fun...Rog
were even going to add electric this year...
Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 PM
rhousejr

The p-51 pts is a good plane, but I dont think it is a good trainer for a new flyer. Once you learn on a "traditional" trainer, the pts would be a great second or third plane. I learned the hard way. I love the war birds, and had to have it. Now it is in my shop in two pieces.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:56 PM
dragline322

Just wanted to let everybody know that thanks to this site, and the advice of hobby shop guys and the folks down at the local club, Including the Trainer I will be flying with, i decided on the Hobbico Superstar MKII Select. Ill keep posting here to let you all know how it works out for me. Thanks for the advice and help, and Happy Flying
Old 12-10-2006, 06:12 PM
1wrongbrother

You may want to consider a us aircore, about $80.00 for a kit and are very very durable unlike balsa, they will take one hell of a beating and come back for more, hard landings usually only result in a ground prop, an easy fix, i have a high wing trainer and a low wing colt { colt even has flapperons } both have tower hobbies .46 and fly great.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
bruce88123

Dragline - The Superstar is also a fine trainer. You should do fine with it. Definitely keep us informed of your progress and best of luck.

Hmmmm - Another addict in the works! Great news.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 PM
tronco

Im buying my first plane too. Was planning on getting the LT 40 till i saw the great planes PT 40 MKII ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ557 ). it has more dihedral and is cheaper =-) . good choice or should i stick with the LT 40? either way i was planning on using O.S. .46 LA ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGV7&P=0 ).
Old 01-30-2007, 09:07 PM
simhatus

Hi

Although a high wing trainer with a flat bottomed wing is ok, i'd go for a trainer with a semi symetrical section.

Evryone i have taught with a flat bottomed wing plane always seem to have a lot of difficulty maintaining a constant height due to the trim change at different throttle settings which is far less with a semi symetrical wing.

The flat bottomed section for a given plane does have the advantage of a slower stall speed.

Simon
Old 01-30-2007, 09:41 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Tronco The PT-40 can be built with 5 or 7 inches of dihedral, I built mine with 3 (some slight mods). The more dihedral the more stable and self recovering the plane will be. As you gain experience the high dihedral may become a bit lazy for you as you will want to do more aerobatic maneuvers. If you do go with the PT-40 or any of the conventional trainers, (See RCkens posts at the top of the forum)
you may want to go with a little less dihedral or a semi symmetrical airfoil, this will keep your trainer fun as long as it lasts. And reading these forums some of these guys will have their trainers forever. I have moved to my low wing trainer and I still take the
PT-40 up for the first flight of the day. And contrary to a misconception that finds it way into these forums, Trainers can do very nice aerobatics and can be a blast to fly.