Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Dual Aileron Servos - Y Cable or Not? >

Dual Aileron Servos - Y Cable or Not?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dual Aileron Servos - Y Cable or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:04 PM
gms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Aileron Servos - Y Cable or Not?

Building my first ARFs, after having spent many years with Hobbyzone RTF's on the 27Mhz channel. I just recently purchased a 6 channel Futaba Radio (EXAS).

Because it is winter here, I'm working on my second model (first was a GWS Beaver) and it has rudder, elevator and requires two servos for the ailerons (one for each wing). The manual with the radio is not clear for me regarding the following:

- Do I need to have a Y cable for the ailerons and route it to a single channel on the Futaba receiver, or is this only for people with 4 channel radios?
- Would using the Flaperon Mixing option (Channel 6 and Channel 1) have the same effect as the Y Cable....but obviously requiring me to have a 6 channel receiver?

When using a Y Cable on 1 channel (i.e. channel 1), do both ailerons move in opposite directions when moving the stick left to right?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Default RE: Dual Aileron Servos - Y Cable or Not?

I have a 7 channel futaba and I still use Y harness. They work just fine for me. Yes the ailerons would move in oppisite directions. As for the flaperon I dont know.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have not used a y harness for a while now. I like to be able to trim the ailerons individually and set-up differential. Whenever possible, use 2 channels.

Read your radio manual, it will tell you EXACTLY how to do it right.

Good Luck!!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM

If you are able to skip the Y cabel (depends on your radio), do it. It is mucho better to have them on seperate channels. That way you can for example use flaperons (ailerons center posision moves down to increase lift), you can also trim your ailerons more precisely with your twin channel setup.

May your skies be blue and your crosswind light

BM
Old 01-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Gms to my knowlege you cannot setup flapperons using only 1 channel on the ailerons, you must route them both to their own channels. There are no disadvantages doing this as you can trim each aileron seperatly, mix in aileron differential and also make use of flapperons.

cheers
Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gms

Building my first ARFs, after having spent many years with Hobbyzone RTF's on the 27Mhz channel. I just recently purchased a 6 channel Futaba Radio (EXAS).

Because it is winter here, I'm working on my second model (first was a GWS Beaver) and it has rudder, elevator and requires two servos for the ailerons (one for each wing). The manual with the radio is not clear for me regarding the following:

- Do I need to have a Y cable for the ailerons and route it to a single channel on the Futaba receiver, or is this only for people with 4 channel radios?
- Would using the Flaperon Mixing option (Channel 6 and Channel 1) have the same effect as the Y Cable....but obviously requiring me to have a 6 channel receiver?

When using a Y Cable on 1 channel (i.e. channel 1), do both ailerons move in opposite directions when moving the stick left to right?

Any help would be appreciated.
You may do it either way, your preference. Trimming ch 6 would have to be done with sub trim I believe and it would not respond to changes in the ail trim.
When using the Y-cable they will operate in opposite directions IF you do the mechanical linkage correct. THIS is one place using 2 channels could help because you could reverse just one servo if needed.