Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:38 AM
felixone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question

Ok...It is a rainy Sunday morning, so that means it is time to play another round of "Stupid Newbie Question"

I am looking to increase throws on my rudder and ailerons. However I can't remember which direction you move the pushrod on the control horn at the surface, or on the servo. In other words...Move closer to center on servo increases, or decreases travel, and closer to control surface increase or decreases travel. I remember that you move in opposite directions at each end, I just can't remember which direction for which end.

I would assemble my plane and fiddle, if it wasn't for the fact that it is still loaded in my car after my flying time got rained out yesterday (I am hoping it will stop soon so I can head to the field today).

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Question

First move further out on the servo. If you're using those little round servo wheels, replace them with the star type (Provinding you have them of course)

Once you are all the way out on the servo, start moving IN (Closer to the control surface) on the control horn.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:52 AM
ABELL

closer to center on horn of control surfaces increases travel - closer to center on servo decreases travel.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:56 AM
felixone

Thanks guys, that is just what I was looking for!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:42 AM
opjose

Of course the further out from the servo you move the connector the more work the servo has to perform and more current used, to move the control surface.

Doing what you want to do is not always advisable...

You could increase the servo travel in your TX instead.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 PM
felixone

Opjose,

I think you might have confused me...

As I understand it a servo has a define range of movement. If I am currently moving through that entire range, how can I "increase" this using my TX? I know that I can limit the range the servo moves, but wasn't aware that I could increase it outside of it's default range. It is my understanding that this is how high/low rates are setup. Basically high rates are defined as the full range of movement. You then program the radio to only move X percent when low rates are activated.

Could you please explain this a little more for me.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: felixone

Opjose,

I think you might have confused me...

As I understand it a servo has a define range of movement. If I am currently moving through that entire range, how can I "increase" this using my TX? I know that I can limit the range the servo moves, but wasn't aware that I could increase it outside of it's default range. It is my understanding that this is how high/low rates are setup. Basically high rates are defined as the full range of movement. You then program the radio to only move X percent when low rates are activated.

Could you please explain this a little more for me.

Thanks
if you have a computer radio you can adjust your EPA (end point adjustments) to move it out a little more or decrease it. Along with the adjustments on your servo and control horn your desired setting
Old 06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
opjose

Like he said...

A better option is if you can, use the computer radio to set the end point adjustment ( or range of travel ) to take the servo to it's extremes...

e.g. 150%

That will give you more movement of the control surfaces w/o needing to move the linkages further out on the control horn.

In so doing you gain better holding power, less current usage, and less chance of stripping a servo gear.

There are articles about this here and many of the magazines that go into this in detail.

I believe FlyRC had an article about servos in their last issue where they also went into this.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 AM
jetmech05

Be careful moving the servo travel so far, I moved my aileron travel on my 4* so far that it took forever to get back to neutral compaired to the rest of the control surfaces. I went back to low rates landed, decreased the throw on the ailerons to around 130 percent and liked it much better.
Man you gotta love end point