Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Solo Flights

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Solo Flights

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:52 AM
manks7477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Solo Flights

After about 12 flights, numerous touch and go's, 6 dead stick landings and one hit tree I go my chance to solo last night. The plane was flying great - no problems at all, the first flight was very smooth, took off with a bit of a cross wind, that did not cause a problem, took the plane up to altitude and did a bunch of circuits, cam in for some touch and goes, landed, taxied and did another take off, no problems at all. Came around for another touch and go, the landing was perfect, then I gave it throttle to get back up into the air, the engine sputtered then died. I had no altitude, no power and a very short runway for my 7th deadstick. No problems, I was calm, got her down, but ran into the long grass at the end of the runway because I was just moving a bit too fast for the amount of real estate I had left. First Solo was out of the way.

I refueled, and charged the plane for one last short flight as the sun was setting, again, no problems - nice smooth take off roll, and into the air. Did a number of circuits, and touch and gos, came in for a landing - wanting to take off again, but did not flair enough, striking the prop. That ended the night - did about 20 min off of the buddy box (no looking back now), I should have my wings soon.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Solo Flights

Congrats manks, Calm is the key to dead sticks , even when your options are`nt looking so good. Good job.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 AM
rwright142

Way to go!!! It's a good think to practice those dead sticks.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Manks,
Get that silly smile off of your face!!!!!! Just kidding of course, we've all had that smile after our solo. Heck, I think mine lasted for about 3 weeks after my solo. Seriously though, great job and congrats!!!!

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63523.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	699829  
Old 06-08-2007, 10:12 AM
mrlikescheese

Awsome, thats gonna be me tommorrow! I hope!

Does anyone have any good tips on learning to solo? cuz im a little nervous
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Dazzaz

ORIGINAL: mrlikescheese

I haven't flown in about 15 years... Instead of crashing a couple planes while learning I looked the simulator way and bought Realflight 3.5. I've been flying on it for a couple weeks now and I think I've got the hang of flying again. I don't know if instructors will count that as any real training when I go join a club though... I don't think I'll have a problem becoming solo real fast once I get my plane built.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:32 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: mrlikescheese

Just relax. You'll do fine. Just remember the entire world is watching and you're standing out there naked for all to see. Oh wait, wrong speech. Just relax though, when it's right, it's right.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 PM
blkz2801

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Manks,
Get that silly smile off of your face!!!!!! Just kidding of course, we've all had that smile after our solo. Heck, I think mine lasted for about 3 weeks after my solo. Seriously though, great job and congrats!!!!

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken

you say the samething to everyone. do you have that copyed? lol
Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The second line is copy and paste, but the first line is typed in each time. I try to vary it up so it doesn't sound so canned. Guess I'm not doing a very good job of it huh??

Ken
Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 PM
bruce88123

That's OK, as long as you mean it. There's just a limited number of different ways to say this and you've handed out so many. Maybe next time instead of saying "wrapping fish" you can say "wrapping carp" or "lining the bird cage".
Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Gary L.

I'll be glad to get mine.. If it will stop raining long enough to go fly..[&o]
Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

Congrats Manks! A job well done!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:22 PM
snacker

I've been working on G3.5 for a while but I haven't soloed real rc planes. There's nothing on G3 to make up for the nervous factor for me. I've got a few planes now but barely flown. My mentor doesn't seem to want to help me anymore either. What I've decided to do is take a week of vacation and drive about 500 miles to a flight school. I figure this is cheaper than wrecking all my planes anyway.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:44 PM
bruce88123

Has your "mentor" given you a reason for not continuing to help? Do you have bad breath? Or maybe just don't follow instructions too well, that can be irritating. Is he a club instructor or just a buddy that's been helping.

The schools work but usually not cheap. You can't find a reliable instructor there?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 PM
snacker

He's a guy my wife used to work with who invited me out to fly a few times and talked about how he would help me solo. He works a lot and in the meantime, my wife quit that job for a better one, which might have something to do with it. I think, with the time on the sim, I should be able to solo in a few hours with a good teacher. Yes it's expensive ($60.00/hr) but I'm only charged for actual flight time. I'd like to find someone locally, but I hate to impose on people. I have wanted to fly these things since I was about eight years old (I'm thirty seven now) and I am determined to be a good rc pilot one way or another. If flight school is the only way I'm going to learn then so be it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
andrewsmc

what is dead sticks? no power?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 AM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: andrewsmc

what is dead sticks? no power?
Yes. The engine/motor quits running.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
bruce88123

There's 2 AMA clubs in the immediate Vegas area and clubs usually don't charge members for instruction and the instructors don't feel "imposed upon".

LAS VEGAS RADIO CONTROL CLUB
KEITH HEDGE
4164 SANTA TERRASA PL
LAS VEGAS NV 89121-6434
Phone: 702-898-9259

REBEL SQUADRON
21 DARRELL STUBBS
105 FRAD AVE
NORTH LAS VEGAS NV 89031-2599
Phone: 702.413.9711

I'd suggest contacting these clubs before making any long trips.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Big feet

Hi Marks7477,
Well done, feels good, huh?
My first trainer had a short nose leg. if you landed with the engine runnung you clipped the prop.
So, almost all my landings with that plane were deadsticks.
That was a very good thing, I can land anything now deadstick with no fear at all, even ducted fan jets.
The key is to keep airspeed, picture a gentle decent from your position when the engine quits back to the runway, and follow it.
If your speed is a little fast, open the circuit out a bit. As your deadstick was just off the ground there really is nothing you can do but fly straight ahead and keep the wings level. nice job by the way, pity about the short strip.
One thing, if there is a moderate to strong wind, and you are low ish when the engine stops, DO NOT TURN DOWNWIND (treat that as firm advice, not shouting). The plane will very likely stall and drop out of the sky. Fly S shaped circuit if you need to, but do not point your tail toward the wind.

Now, go get another load of solo flights under your belt.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:39 PM
snacker

Don't you have to know someone or be invited to join a club? Thanks for the suggestion. Where did you get that info? I sure would like to be flying instead of sitting here in front of this computer. It was a real nice day today too.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
felixone

I am new to this, but I don't think you need to be invited to join a club, at least not where I live. I went to my local hobby shop, and asked about local clubs. The guy there told me of a couple. I then did a little research online, and found a list of clubs near me.

You can go here to find AMA clubs near you -

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

After I located local clubs, I went to their website if they had one. I got directions, and just showed up at a time I thought people would be there (afternoons on weekends are great times to stop by).

If you don't want to just show up, give a call to the contact person listed with the AMA. They can help you arrange a time to meet at the field.

One thing that you didn't mention was if you belong to the AMA. Most clubs I know require AMA membership before you can join the local club.

Good luck finding a club!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
mrlikescheese

ORIGINAL: snacker
I sure would like to be flying instead of sitting here in front of this computer. It was a real nice day today too.
it sure was a nice day! we had our fun fly/swap meet today and i got my first landing on a friends trainer (he has the same superstar trainer as me) on the buddy box with Jim Zoble. He had control of throttle and he said that it was going too fast after i landed because it bounce on its wheels down the runway and then nosed over and the engine died, but i would have hit the weeds anyways if it didn't do that.

Later at the swap meet i bought a Aerobird Challenger from our friend Bob S. I got it for $75 instead of the normal $180. if its not too windy tommarow, im going to fly it at the club.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: snacker

Don't you have to know someone or be invited to join a club? Thanks for the suggestion. Where did you get that info? I sure would like to be flying instead of sitting here in front of this computer. It was a real nice day today too.
Some clubs have waiting lists or require "sponsors" but in MOST cases you walk up and say "I would like to join" and they say "OK, fill out this form and pay your dues. Your in."
Old 06-09-2007, 10:39 PM
bruce88123

Like felixone said go to www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx and find their websites. I couldn't post all that.

http://www.lvrconline.com/ Dues $20 per year

I did find the first one as you see.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
mrlikescheese

Yesterday i soloed on the Aerobird Challenger! But later i went out for another flight and i turned too tight and it went into a death spiral. it broke the wing in half and bent the fuse a little bit but i bent the fuse back and we put some epoxy on the wing and it looks ready to fly again! But its too windy today and it looks like its suppose to be windy all week [&o]. But im gonna buy another wing and a battery while im waiting. if the old wing still works, then ill use that for now so if i crash it again, i wont have 2 crappy wings.
but im not gonna count this as my first official solo because it seems too easy to solo on electric trainers. but im ready for soloing on my glow trainer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.