Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What Plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Hossbog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Plane?

I have the Super Cub, and I love it, but I want something gas. I am still a beginner. The super cub is pretty easy to fly. I was thinking of the Hobbico NexStar 46 select rtf, or the Hanger 9 Alpha 40 rtf. I dont want a kit. Is the Active Flight Stabilization on the NexStar good, or does it make it too easy. I also think the alpha 40 has a better radio, does it? Is the JR better than the Futaba? Please let me know what you guys think.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: What Plane?

I also started with an electric and am now moving into nitro power. Take a look at the Hobbico Avistar. i have seen this thing fly and it is great. Very aerobatic...as your skills progress. Also not expensive. I have been told by those that had the Nexstar that they regret spending that much on a trainer as Do I on my Electristar. Once you get the basics down...then what? I think the abilities of the Avistar could keep someone entertained for quite a bit longer. If you chose to buy the "Ultimate Combo: from tower....You ould have everything for under $300.....in addition to the field equipment. The equipment will cost more...but you carry that with you on to your future models. Good Luck
Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hossbog

I have the Super Cub, and I love it, but I want something gas.
Nitro is probably what you mean as gas is for nice big non-beginner type planes

I am still a beginner.
Good, your in the right place.

The super cub is pretty easy to fly. I was thinking of the Hobbico NexStar 46 select rtf, or the Hanger 9 Alpha 40 rtf.
Either plane would be a good choice but you could save a lot of money and just get the Tower Trainer RTF.

I dont want a kit.
Why not; Kit builders are cool

Is the Active Flight Stabilization on the NexStar good, or does it make it too easy.
Nope, Probably crash your plane for you.

I also think the alpha 40 has a better radio, does it? Is the JR better than the Futaba?
Oh boy, he went there. This is kind of like the whole Ford vs. Chevy thing. While we all know Ford is better those Chevy guys just keep talking

Please let me know what you guys think.
Okay
Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Why not consider the Thunder Tiger Easy Trainer 40H w/ Side Kick flight accessory combo?

[link=http://www.thundertiger4u.com/easy-trainer-super-comboblue-free-side-kick-p-13081.html]Easy Fly 40H Super Combo[/link]

At $259.99, the price not only includes a .40-size glow trainer with 61" wing span, a very high quality Thunder Tiger GP-42 glow engine preinstalled, and a Hitec Laser 4 radio system pre-installed, it also comes with all of the field accessories you need like a glow ignitor and charger, chicken stick, 4-way prop/glow wrench, fuel pump with fuel tubing and fuel cap it, even a cardboard carrying caddy for all of your starting accessories.

The $259.99 price even includes delivery right to your front door, the folks at http://www.thundertiger4u.com deliver any order over $150 for free.

You can read about Thunder Tiger's terrific all-inclusive glow trainer package over at the AMA's Sport Aviator website:

[link=http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=124]Easy Trainer 40 review[/link]

The box will contain just about everything you need to go flying except a jug of fuel!

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 AM
jmurphy18

Biged's fav trainer.

Could not resist BigE as you post this a lot and looks to be an excellent choice.

Mr67.......
Chevy Can hear every valve rattle or load every time
Ford, found on the road dead, fix or reapir daily
Dodge damned old dirty gas eater
Honda had one never did again
The list goes on
I have owned most american iron in my years and a few stangs
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Shortymet55

I got the Alpha 60. I love this thing. Ive flown it only once, but I absolutly loved it. Flew so nice. ANd since its the Alpha 40's older brother, Id expect the same from it.

As far as the other planes go, the For the Nexstar, I think your paying for alot of junk, and i think alot of people agree. Plus for the $380 price tag, you could get the Alpha 60, for $10 more! The Avistar I also have never flown. But my club has 3 club trainers, Avistar, Alpha 60, and like a superstar or something. And everyone at the field suggested the Alpha 60 for me.

Im sure any one would be good.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Now the Thunder Tiger Easy Trainer 40H w/ Side Kick flight accessory combo sounds like an excellent deal
Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Avistar is a great plane, particularly with a 46 up front. It can be quite quick, however, so I`d suggest some buddy box time. Been flying for almost four years and have moved on to other " more advanced " planes, but still enjoy the Avistar I first learned on.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jmurphy18

Biged's fav trainer.

Could not resist BigE as you post this a lot and looks to be an excellent choice.
Hehe, guilty as charged! I've owned and flown several different Thunder Tiger aircraft since I started in the hobby a few seasons ago, and they've been consistently excellent in quality, ease of assembly, and thoroughness of instructions. It doesn't hurt when you see a deal like the ones that the folks at www.thundertiger4u.com are offering right now.

A few months ago I was mentioning the $219.99 Pegasus .40 Super Combo package over at eHobbies.com, but they recently dropped that combo from their website and raised their prices on the Tiger Trainer .60 and Tiger Trainer .40 Mk II Super Combos. I just try to keep an eye out for "really good deals" and mention them if folks ask.

I know a lot of folks are fond of recommending the Tower Trainer .40 MkII RTF package, and it is a good plane. I'm flying one of the ARFs right now, however, and between the soft landing gear wire and the trim pieces on the covering peeling off like crazy, I'm working overtime just to keep it in nice flying shape.

The Hangar 9 Alpha and Arrow RTFs are really nice planes, but boy are they sure proud of them when it comes to price. The Nexstar isn't exactly cheap, either, considering your first task when building it is to disconnect the ALS you don't want and removing the "stall pods" from the wing's leading edge.

The Thunder Tiger Easy Trainer 40H package has everything you need and nothing you don't all at a very friendly price. Right now it seems to be the best deal on the market, until somebody else steps up and offers RC shoppers a genuine deal on a high quality trainer package.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Indy Park Flyer

I am training on the Alpha 40 and I love it. It is a smooth flying easy to learn on plane that is very forgiving. The Alpha 40 is also easy to work on and many of the upgrades are available at your LHS. If you join a club, a good idea in my opinion, your trainer may want to remove some of the limitors that come on the Evolution trainer engine, but the engine is great a runs smooth. As for JR or Futaba on the radio, I would check with your local club. Both are good and the Alpha 40 comes with JR, but you will need to find out what buddy boxes your club has on hand. There is a JR to Futaba trainer cord that will allow you to buddy box on any of the older Futaba radios with the round plub, but in my experience it is much easier to match your radio to the buddy boxes the club has on hand. For example, my club did not have a JR buddy box when I first started, so I bought the JR to Futaba cord until a JR buddy box was found. Now I have a JR XP642 thanks to a generous club member and my old radio is the new JR buddy box. Good luck no matter what you decide.
Indy Park Flyer