Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel spitter thru muffler! help

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel spitter thru muffler! help

Old 11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Exile182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel spitter thru muffler! help

Hi,

I have finally bought my self a IC driven plane, a trainer Seagull Booomerang 40, I have an OS 46AX on it, any way after i went thru oh no did i do the right thing guilt trip, I went to start it over yesterday, I worked it for ages, with no success, realising it was flooded attempted again before it got dark but then my TX went flat. Early this morning I started again, I finally got it to kick over, but when i went to do what the instruction said to kick it over, open the throttle, it died, so i kicked it over again, and opened it, it was fine for a few seconds till it starting losing rpm, and i noticed fuel was spitting through the muffler as tho it was flooding itself, and i also noticed that bubbles appears near the glowplug.

Whats going on? everything seems set up fine, am i opening the needle to rich or something
Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel spitter thru muffler! help

It really think you had it flooded. The excess fuel coming out of the exhaust is the sign. The bubles from you glow plug indicate that the plug is either not secured tightly or the insulation is bad and you are loosing compression thrugh the glog plug. If my glow engine floods I will remove the glow plg and turn it upside down and rotate the propp to get the excess fuel out. Or tip it sideways such that the exhaust port is facing down and rotate the prop forcing the excess fuel out of the exhaust.

Turn your needle all the way in carefully as to not score/sctatch the needle then turn it out 2-2.5 turns and atemt to start the engine again.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a new AX then they can be stubborn and a electric starter works well for the first few starts for break in,if you have bubbles at or near the glow plug then first remove the glow plug, blow the fuel off it and make sure it glows with the glowdriver.
clear the cylinder of fuel by putting a rag over the top of the head and spin it with the starter fuel will shoot out of the plug hole so make sure the rag or towel is there.
if glow plug is fine then put it back in and tighten snugly not over tight the threads are easy to strip,if you are getting bubbles at the glow plug its not tight enough.
fuel it up and set needle to recomended setting I believe its about 2 turns out,but follow the manuals recomendation, and use a elec starter you will be surprised how fast it starts.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Exile182

kool thanks for the quick reply
Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM
808_TITAN

i had that same problem with my .61 fx a very smart japanesse man told me that the bottom is getting full of fuel so he pinched the fuel line untill the engine did that high rev right before it runs outta fuel and then he let go of the line. after that it ran fine. he told me that that was kinda typical for some 2-stroke models. i had the same symptoms as you was having and the worked very nicley for me. hope that helps....
Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Exile182

It does, I have gotten it to start, it blew out heaps of greasy stuff on to the wing, then it settled down, but its normal to have some residue on the wing isnt it?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Kow

ORIGINAL: Exile182

It does, I have gotten it to start, it blew out heaps of greasy stuff on to the wing, then it settled down, but its normal to have some residue on the wing isnt it?
The oil in the fuel doesn't burn, so it gets blown out the exhaust. Not only is it normal for it to end up on the wing, the prop will blow it all over the plane. Bring lots of paper towels to the field.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Campgems

Make sure the copper washer is on the glow plug when you put it in the engine.

Don
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Exile182

ahh good, wasnt fully sure and was thinking something bad is going on, ok what does it mean when the engine dies when the throttle opens up?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 PM
bruce88123

It means you need to restart the engine.

OK, I couldn't pass that one up. It could be lean OR rich, hard to tell really from the limited description.

To sort it out SLOWLY open the throttle until the engine stumbles a little and stop. Adjust the high speed needle slightly more lean (most likely) by a click or 2 and see how the engine responds. If it improves try another click, if worse go a couple of clicks more rich.

Repeat this process as you gradually increase the engine speed until full throttle is reached.

Once past about 1/2 throttle you can use "The Pinch Test". Open the throttle as before until the engine stumbles slightly. Carefully (beware of the propeller) pinch the fuel line shut where it enters the carb and hold. If the engine accelerates and then dies off (release before it quits) the engine is rich. If the engine just quits without accelerating you are lean. Make a small appropriate adjustment and retest until full throttle is reached.

This takes a bit of time but it does the job.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:33 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Pinch test works well. the reason they are corectly telling you to get the excess fuel out of the engine BEFORE using a starter is that a fuel locked engine can get bent by the torque of the starter.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Exile182

well thats what i did end up doing, once i got it running kind of ok, it leaked a bit of fuel from the muffler then it started to rev up , and then i followed what ya have said, and it ran for few seconds then went higher for a bit, then just as it started to die down i let it go, and it sat nice on the idle, it was a bit rich as the instruction said, so then i continued the break in, went thru the whole tank, and just in the last minute i let it off my stand, and ran it down the yard, and back, was really good, I thought my lil electric had power lo.

Its quite odd seeing a plane on a video, they seem louder, and not that much different from electric, but they arent to loud, not like a lawnmower, but have a good sound, and even tho I know electrics do have there place and ill keep getting them too, and that they are getting more powerful, IC just seems sweeter.

And good one bruce, I was waiting for someone to say something lol

Thanks for everyones help

From the Aussie IC newb
EXILE
Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 AM
bruce88123

Just remember to run a few clicks on the rich side of FULLY leaned. This will protect the engine from burning up from a lean run in the air.