Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servo Replacement??????????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servo Replacement??????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 PM
ronofnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Replacement??????????

I have a Phoenix 330s extra that I have installed 2 Futaba s3004 servos on the elevators. There seems to be to much slack or movement in these servos with power on and in the nutural position. A-Should I change these servos with digitals or B-what servo would there likly be less movement. THe movement is about 1/16 inch at the tip of the servo arm.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Servo Replacement??????????

Are you absolutely sure that it's the servos that have the movement in them, and not the servo arm/linkages? Many times when control surfaces start developing slop in them it's because the linkages, servo arms, or control horns are wearing out. As the parts wear out they develop slop in them which results in the movement that you describe. One of the worst spots for wear is the holes in the servo arm, they will wallow out and allow movement in the linkages. Check all of this out before deciding to replace the servos. Many times replacing some or all of the linkage components will remove the movement and return the control surface to "like new" condition, and you won't have to replace the servo. If after you have checked all of that and you still have the movement then you can indeed look at replacing the actual servos.

Ken
Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 PM
ronofnc

Right! I thank I will take your advice as that would be the cheaper route anyway, Thanks!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Ken,

I resd this differently than you did. Seems to me he has 1/16" of play at the end of the servo arm. This means to me that he has slop in the servo gear train.

If that is true, then my response would be:

1) 3004's can be had for less than $10, and there is a reason.....they are intended for people who don't need nor want decent servos.

2) If that kind of servo does not fit your needs, you have several options, and you don't necessarily need digital servos.

3) Futaba makes many fine servos, as does JR, HiTec etc... A junk plane needs only junk servos, but it will fly like what it is. Consider equiping your plane according to your performance demands... If you want fast, strong servos with little play, be prepared to pay a MINIMUM of $40 per servo.

I don't fly anything less than a fast, digital high-end servo in any of my planes...(except foam). And even the foamy servos are more than $20 a piece. In my gassers, I only fly 8611A's, 8711's or their Futaba equivalents at more than $100 each. Bottom line is that you will pay more for better servos...period.

Junk is junk....3004's are great for trainers, combat planes, inexpensive warbirds, certain gliders....and that's about it
Old 12-28-2007, 09:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Agexpert,
I wasn't trying to say that it isn't possible to have the slop in the servo. I was pointing out that he simply needed to ensure that it was indeed the servo that had the problem, or if it was the linkages. If it was a problem with the linkage the problem would still be there AFTER he changed out the servos. It only takes a few seconds to check the linkages BEFORE replacing the servo. If you reread my first post you will see that I did indeed advise him to replace the servos AFTER checking the linkages first.

Ken
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that's the Phoenix 300S Extra 60/90 size, the manufacturer suggests standard servos. You have two servos back there.. which total quite a bit of torque for each side with standard servos. Absolutely no need to use expensive digitals on this plane.

You could upgrade to the next level servo, for perhaps an additional 10 or so bucks, but clearly, not necessary. And as Ken said... that linkage can be a problem. Look at the top of the serov where the servo arm and the clevis meet. If there is black looking crap on there, it could be worn, so check it closely.

CGr