Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going spread spectrum

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thinking of going spread spectrum

Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
dwilt72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going spread spectrum

I am looking at getting a new radio. I'm still on a buddy-box for my glow plane, however, I'm beginning to collect a few planes (both electric and glow) and I need a radio that will store multiple planes (I'm currently using the plain vanilla Futaba 4 channel). I'm thinking of going spread-spectrum. I just read the review on the new Futaba 7 channel 2.4 Ghz radio. What are the basic differences in this radio and the Spektrum 7 channel radio? The look to be about the same price for everything involved. I was thinking of going Futaba because I already have a Futaba buddy-box and it should hook up relatively simple. Is there a reason to buy Spektrum over Futaba?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Thinking of going spread spectrum

Do you like Ford or Chevy? You do the reading and you pick the system that makes the most since to you. If this post takes off like the rest, I'll have too get the popcorn out. Dennis
Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 PM
RedGN

hi
don't know too much but i know the spektrum dx7 can store upto 20 models
Goodluck
Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts

What he said. Most of the time these threads breed heated brand loyalty, they are both good radios.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:56 PM
seemefly_1

Key differences include

Futaba 2.4GHz FASST shifts every 2 milliseconds and spectrum doesn’t
The DX7 has a 3 position flap switch and the 7 cap has a 2 position flap switch
Spectrum has a wide vary of receivers and the 7 cap has one

I am doing the same research as you so an this is what I have found
Old 01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
dwilt72

Thanks seemefly_1,

This is what I was looking for, differences not necessarily preferences.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:12 PM
seemefly_1

welcome
Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Functionally, there is not much reason for the layman to worry much about whether FASST or DSM2 is better although the hardcore geeks will argue to the death about it. They both work, and that's th important part. Decide which transmitter fits you hands better, has the mixes and memory you need, and you'll have a pretty good choice on your hands either way. One thing to consider--at the moment, Futaba only has the one receiver available(medium size and $89), while Spektrum has receivers for everything from giant scale(dual Rx,mini size $79) to park flyers(all the way down to sub micro and under $50). It probably won't matter to you unless you fly really small stuff or need to buy a lot of receivers...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot say how I know. But Spektrum has some things in the works, that is totally awesome .

Also you may want to check out the new [link=http://h1073414.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=SPM6600] DX6i[/link] . I got to try this out on a Airplane and a Heli very nice radio for the money.

I`m fairly new also, so have no loyalty to any brand . If it was`nt for being shot down, I`d be content with my cheap ole 6 c. FM.
But been playing some with Heli`s and have ventured into electrics, and I luv my glow. I like the idea of being able buy all the different recievers, for the different applications and use one radio. So I went with a DX7.

Also own Ford and Chevys .lol
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
MasterAlex

I'll throw in my .02 here ... probably not even worth that

I realize this is a beginner's forum and you're currently looking at a handful of airframes and not much need for more than 4 channels or mixing options - BUT - if you believe you're going to continue in this hobby, and that 2.4 Ghz is the way to go, you might consider a 9 channel radio (Ford or Chevy).

As moondoggie alludes to, this technology seems to be getting the lion's share of R&D from the big boyz and we can likely expect significant new releases over the coming year or two. I'd be shocked if Futaba didn't release a smaller sized receiver to compete with Spectrum sometime soon. Remember, Spectrum has been out for a bit longer than Futaba's system and IMO they are still catching up ...

Anyway, because of my desire for a 9 channel 2.4 GHz radio I'll likely wait for some of the dust to settle - maybe Futaba will come out with a native 2.4 Ghz 9C. There's currently no good option to compete with JR's 2.4 Ghz Radio and I simply don't want to pay "early adopter" pricing for the JR (yeah, I'm frugal!!).

Oh well, something to consider anyway - I'll stop my ramble now.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM
hungryandbroke

I've continued this hobby for the last 35 years and the one thing I found out is that my 4 channel standard radios make my plane go where I want it to go and do the things I want it to do at a much lower cost.

It's not how fancy your radio is, it's the guy behind the radio making the plane do what you want it to do.

And that's all I have to say about that!

It's your money so get what ya want and find out for yourself.

Me? I'm saving mine for more planes and that expensive fuel.

fun fun fun
Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
dragnbye

every one here made good points. i don't know about the FAST i use a dx7 and love it big screen easy to use you can program it just the way you want just imo
Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
seemefly_1

Anyway, because of my desire for a 9 channel 2.4 GHz radio I'll likely wait for some of the dust to settle - maybe Futaba will come out with a native 2.4 Ghz 9C. There's currently no good option to compete with JR's 2.4 Ghz Radio and I simply don't want to pay "early adopter" pricing for the JR (yeah, I'm frugal!!).
you do know that with spectrums air modules you can make a 9c a 2.4

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMMSFUT7

i know it is expensive but it might be better than waiting
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: seemefly_1

Yeah, Ive scoped that out ... flies in the face of my "frugality" Fortunately for me I fly at a small club and have no freq conflicts - I can probably hold off a bit before purchasing 2.4.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 PM
bruce88123

Even better he can use Futaba modules to do it. Either way is an expensive method though. Cost of basic radio and then the adaptors. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRTU7&P=SM
Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

UM...

I am a JR guy. I have a 9303 and a 10X both of which are EXCELLENT FM radios. I fly a lot of JR servos and I have really supported JR throughout my short time in this hobby.

HOWEVER, Futaba has been in the 2.4 GHz game for many years in their heavy-equipment and demolition radio equipment divisions. They have what I consider to be a far superior technology. They have decades of experience in this particular technology, they have not been afraid to affix their name to the technology and have done so without hesitation.

When I make the switch to 2.4, I will likely choose Futaba, (prolly a 12Z). I am sure that Spektrum is safe for my planes, but I would like to fly with as much confidence as possible. Some of our planes cost more than we make in 2 months or more....and since I only fly Giant Scale, I realize that there are potentially lethal consequences from a glitch.

My name is agexpert and I approved this message.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to think about with a radio is how it feels. This is matter of personal preference, but get your hands on each of the radio's you are looking at. If you can't get the exact radio, look at one that is similar in it's shape. Try holding it for about ten minutes to simulate how it would feel through a complete flight with out a neck strap, then try it with a neck strap also. See how it feels as you reach for all the switches and trims. Different radio's have a different feel, and some people prefer the feel of certain radio's over others.

Hogflyer
Old 02-28-2008, 03:02 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: MasterAlex

... Anyway, because of my desire for a 9 channel 2.4 GHz radio I'll likely wait for some of the dust to settle - maybe Futaba will come out with a native 2.4 Ghz 9C.
Well, I missed that one ...

Futaba developed a 10 Channel 2.4 Ghz radio - [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUEW6&P=ML]Coming in April[/link]
Old 02-28-2008, 03:49 PM
wings

Hello,

I put together a page where I have attempted to explain the difference between DSSS and FHSS. Futaba uses FHSS where as Spektrum uses DSSS.

[link=http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/spread-spectrum.html]DSSS vs FHSS (Spektrum vs Futaba)[/link]

That is basically the difference. I haven't found any reason to believe why one is better than the other.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
bruce88123

... Anyway, because of my desire for a 9 channel 2.4 GHz radio I'll likely wait for some of the dust to settle - maybe Futaba will come out with a native 2.4 Ghz 9C.

Futaba developed a 10 Channel 2.4 Ghz radio - [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUEW6&P=ML]Coming in April[/link]
I believe this is a "MODULE" radio.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 PM
seemefly_1

wow $200 for just the receiver

Futaba developed a 10 Channel 2.4 Ghz radio - Coming in April
Old 02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
bruce88123

wow $200 for just the receiver

Futaba developed a 10 Channel 2.4 Ghz radio - Coming in April
You don't need to use that particular RX, the smaller ones (purchased separately) should work too. Naturally it comes with a RX that allows FULL utilization if desired. We just need to find out WHICH smaller RX's will work.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
[email protected]

Although I am a Futaba fan this is an unbiast comparison. I own the futaba 6EX FASST. It is a great radio and Ihave not encountered any problems. The receiver is about 1.5" long and half as wide. The spread spektrum consists of a pilot and sattelite servo. This would add a good bit of weight depending on what you consider heavy. We have a guy at our field that said he took a hit using the DX7. Im not entirely sure how this happened but it did. I would say go with the FASST.

Ian
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I was a Futaba fan originally. I love my 9C. But I got a DX7 and I love that. I don't like the Futaba 2.4GHz modules with the antennas sticking out the back, and there is no "model match" features using the 9C 2.4GHz modules. Futaba has limited RX choices at the moment, while Spektrum has about 6-8 different RXs I can use with my DX7.

The new DX6i looks pretty nice too. Ultimate Hobbies has them in stock today.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

As you can clearly see, there are as many "opinions" as there are posters here on RCU. It clearly comes down to a matter of preference.. as someone said, ford vs. chevy.

They all have their good points, and very few bad points. I prefer Spektrum DX7 system for my standard and large models (I also use it for my electrics but with a different receiver). Airtronics also has a new RDS8000 and the price is really competitive at ~ $230. I have the Airtronics RD8000 (72 MHz channel 11) and love it. RCKen is an avid Airtronics fan and is doing a review on that particular radio and I would not be surprized to hear that it performs very well, as would be expected for a system with a great reputation for many years now.

Futaba has their 2.4 Gig system, but I am not familiar with it but would imagine that it too is a fine system. Again, all comes down to a matter of choice.

Again, I recommend Spektrum and Airtronics. But, they are not the only choices out there, but are very VERY competitive in this market.

CGr.