Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 .51 engine too big? >

.51 engine too big?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

.51 engine too big?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .51 engine too big?

I guess I'm working on it; I just half-heartedly filled out the exchange slip for tower. Its funny how I got such a bad taste in my mouth about this engine, and I read such great things about all the power of the ST .45.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jerzdvt

So recommendations for a first engine that will be a good second/third as well:
Magnum .46
Super Tigre .45
Super Tigre .51
OS .46LA (what I got by accident)
All good. The ST 45 is now an ABC engine. It does not need the break-in time of the .51, however the .51 is a super sport engine and its reliability makes it good for more than sport.

The ST 45 and 51 are simply excellent choices for most anything one could want in the under-.60 size. The ST. 40-45-& 51 all have the same mounting spaces so easy to fit any model of that size range.

Don't confuse the current 45ABC with the OLD ST .46 which was simply a "stroked" 40.

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I just bought my first Super Tigre engine last fall, a G-61 ringed, for my Sig King Kobra. It's been a really great engine so far, and I sure wouldn't talk you out of trying Super Tigre the next time you're in the market for an engine.

Shipping a new .46 LA back just to swap it for the G-45 ABC would be a waste of postage. Both engines will do the job well, but you already have the .46 LA and it will be easier to tune and easier to get spare parts for it than the Super Tigre.

A lot of folks are miffed right now because engines and parts for Super Tigre, GMS, and Tower Hobbies brand engines have been backordered for months. All three engine lines are rumored to be produced at the same GMS factory in mainland China.

Like I said before, all of the engines you were considering were great choices, but each offers small trade-offs compared to the other engines. If you send off your .46 LA for a G-45 ABC, I have no doubt you'd like the G-45. If you lose a part or break something during a rough training landing, though, you very well may wish you'd kept the O.S. Max engine.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:31 AM

thanks.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM

I have a .46LA in my Four Star 40, and I love that engine. It is very reliable and requires almost no fiddling with unless there has been a drastic change in temperature. During the summer, I would just start it and take off.

I have two ST's, a .40 and a .45. They put out a ton of power for the price. I haven't had any problems with either of them. They are very loud with the stock muffler, and they are on the heavy side, but I have never had to add weight to a tail.

If I were you, I'd fly the Nexstar with the .46LA. It will fly fine.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Not to sound cocky or what ever, but money was not the issue for me, I wanted to build the cheapest float plane I could without ordering anything. I went to my LHS and picked up an H9 Solo Sport, a set of arf floats, and a Super Tigre 45. I absolutely love this engine! aside from being alot louder than an evolution 46, the ST 45 seems to have way more power, I`ve got about 20 flights on it sofar, and have not had one dead stick, which I can`t say that for the Evolution. The ST 45 I find easy to tune and I`m no expert as I just got back into this hobby after about 10 years. I ran about 3 tanks thru her on a test stand, stuck her on the plane and away I went. it has enough power to take off in about 30 feet or ten yards ( without floats ) then I can pull her vertical easilly to the 3 mistake high level and beyond. the plane with floats on weighs about 7 3/4 pounds I haven`t weighed it without floats but I bet it is in the 6 pound range.
I can`t comment on the OS or other motors as I`ve never tried them, and I`m sure they are good also, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on the ST 45.

Thanks for reading.
Ron
Old 03-07-2008, 02:29 PM

It looks like I'm going with the ST GS-45. I was looking at mounting the OS .46LA in the mounting bracket of the Nexstar, and it doesn't fit. Directions say you need a new mounting bracket, along with a plywood spacer so the prop clears the front of the plane. It cost $5.00 to ship the OS back to Tower, which to me is worth the time and materials of adapting the .46LA. I don't think I've heard any complaints about the ST engines, other than they might be a little tricky to set up, but that will make me better at tuning engines hopefully. It's an even swap for cost, and has a bit more power =) Thanks all.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: jerzdvt

It looks like I'm going with the ST GS-45. I was looking at mounting the OS .46LA in the mounting bracket of the Nexstar, and it doesn't fit. Directions say you need a new mounting bracket, along with a plywood spacer so the prop clears the front of the plane. It cost $5.00 to ship the OS back to Tower, which to me is worth the time and materials of adapting the .46LA. I don't think I've heard any complaints about the ST engines, other than they might be a little tricky to set up, but that will make me better at tuning engines hopefully. It's an even swap for cost, and has a bit more power =) Thanks all.
Is the ST suppose to fit without mods?
Just curious.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is where using a non recomended type engine starts to add up,the iso smooth mount thats provided is set up for a OS Fx or AX 46 so like your finding out different mfg. or even types have mounting holes, ears,and needle valve positions, that vary in size,when I mounted the OS 61fx in my Nextar I had to redrill for a different mount,new throttle pushrod, and alter the fuse to clear the needle valve,I had stripped the covering so it was just a little dremmel work and it was done.
I am sure there are many who have used other engines with little effort and will chime in on there expierences installing there favorite engine,I only have OS glow engines so thats where the bulk of my expierence lies.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Hmm. I was in a hurry to buy everything before the sale ended, and Tower explicitly says that the .46LA will need a different mounting bracket, along with some extra work. The manual for the Nexstar says it will fit most .46 engines, and the .46LA by looks definitely has a different shape to the mounting ears. We'll see what happens with the Super Tigre; I'm happy I made the switch