Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with turning??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with turning??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
rockerdude22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with turning??

Hey guys, so today I got my plane up in the air 2 times and this is my third time flying. Pretty good day for me today. Engine was runnng great also. I was buddy-boxing with my instructor dave and he was teaching me how to aproach for a landing, when I came in for the final turn, (left turn), my plane always seemed to want to gain altitude? I wanted it to decrease altitude but it did just the oppisite. Im thinking its because I was pulling to hard on the elavator and not enough bank. What do you guys think?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Help with turning??

I'm still on the buddybox, but I learned first thing from the instructor how to keep the same altitude in a turn. The more aileron, the more elevator. Less aileron, less elevator. It sounds like your giving it too much elevator, therefore it is basically trying to do a loop. Try practicing turns more, and keeping the same altitude throughout, in both wide turns and tight turns.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:58 PM
skeeter_ca

just a thought........when turning left you shift your right hand thumb to the left. If your holding the transmitter too low your thumb will want to arc down causing to pull back on the stick while turning left. Try holding the Tx alittle higher in your hand so you don't have to stretch the thumb when turning left. Hope this helps.

skeeter
Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
nobodytwo

I think when you turn into the wind with any trainer, the plane will always gain altitude unless you throttle back a click or two.

I also think that this problem needs to be addressed by your instructor and not by someone else not involved in your training.

Happy Landings!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few ways to control attitude in a turn. The prettiest way is to make a coordinated turn. If you input a little left rudder durring the turn you will start to see the difference as will your instructor[)] If you have a simulator try it at home while you wait for your next day out with the instructor.

Also you can reduce power through the turn but you must understand it may not react the same way every time due to wind speed and direction.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good answers so far, but there are many factors that can cause the problem you're having.

As others have said, it could be pilot induced (Giving too much elevator) or wind induced (Turning into he wind which can create more lift)

But a third possibility is the fact that as you turn to final - while losing altitude - can result in an increase in airspeed. The increase in speed may not be noticeable while turning because the extra lift that is being generated is helping the plane through the turn. But when you level the wings, the extra lift kicks in and creates an effect known as "Ballooning".

Ballooning is most often seen in trainers, or any aircraft whose wing has a high lift aspect.

To avoid it, try reducing the amount of decent in the final turn - in other words, don't give LESS up elevator during the turn, give MORE.

This will reduce the amount of altitude you lose, which will keep you from gaining too much airspeed.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM
manks

I think that is a pretty standard thing that happens when you are learning. I had the same issue, just a tendency to pull up at the end of the turn. Try to focus on keeping the nose down a bit, you will get the hang of it.