Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Off the cord today!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Off the cord today!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off the cord today!

Hi.

Today I showed up to the field to see if any instructors might be stopping by. I shot the breeze with the 2 guys that were there, but no instructors. Also the field house, where the buddy box is kept, was locked. I was about to leave, when it was suggested that I at least get in the air, and hand over the radio if I get in trouble. I saw one of the instructors doing this yesterday, so I gave it a shot. God was I nervous!

Light wind, mostly heading down the runway. Take off was a breeze. I tooled around in the sky for a while, circling the pattern and doing some figure eights at the command of the 2 more experienced pilots that were there. I got some sun screen in my eyes, so handed off the radio, and they brought it down for me. They both had a couple of flights, and I tried one more. Again, calm wind, nice take off, and this time they said to shoot some approaches. Well, the second approach I shot just looked so good, I had to bring it all the way down.

I did it!! Off the buddy box in 9 flights! I quit while I was ahead and packed it in (I had a function to go to). I couldn't resist, so I came back in the early evening and tried again. There were other people around, but they were a little out of season; I was on my own. This time there was no wind, and take-off was much harder! I needed TONS of throttle, and the plane was pretty squirley with that much throttle - really wanted to pull to the right, a lot, but I got her up. flying for me is pretty easy. I did some snap rolls, a loop, a bunch of figure eights, some nice tight turns, all while maintaining constant altitude. Landing was tough this time, as I felt the plane was coming in hot (remember, no wind to help me this time. Wow, wind actually helps!) I did a few touch-and-gos until it felt right, and brought her in. The prop hit the runway and stopped, but I kept it under control. Had this happen twice, and one really bouncy landing (need to learn how to control the bounce - I was told to hold up elevator, which seems pretty unnatural), but still had 4 or 5 flights today with no buddy box. Landed, plane's not damaged, and no one's hurt.

I did it!

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 PM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Off the cord today!

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]Congratulations!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

CONGA RATS!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Steve Steinbring

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=biggrin.gif] Congrats as well on your success!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
traski
My Feedback: (1)

It gets easier. I just realy got a few good landings in yesterday. All my others were sloppy. Didn't get to fly today it was really too windy. 20+

It is our windy season here in Manatee County FL.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Jetdesign

I LOVE the Conga Rats! I've been waiting for them
Old 05-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Jester241

So FATCAT..........SUUURELY by now,you should be thinking of your next plane

...whats you got in mind,lol?

psst.....big stick .60
Old 05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: Jester241

psst.....big stick .60
Got to keep it in the .40 size...I drive a Civic!
Tough call; was thinking maybe the new Great Planes Cherokee ARF, although I saw some guys flying aerobatic/3D and it looked like a lot of fun, so maybe something more sporty...like the PHOENIX EXTRA 300S?! Definitely the right price for a second airplane, and good reviews to boot. Of course when I'm ready to buy it and when I'm ready to fly it are two different stories! Still gotta work on the landings, and just get some stick time and get COMFORTABLE.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Campgems

Kat,Congrats.

It would be a good idea to get your second going. Soon your will be ready for it.

I am just balancing out a Pheonix Fun Star. I may maiden her tomorrow. One of the guys at the field offered to sell me his a few months back and we never hooked up after that. Two weeks back I totaled out my 4*60, the second one. The day before, the guy that was going to sell me his Fun Star was at the field with it and told me he was sure glad he didn't sell it to me. He started flying it and really likes it. Given that I needed something quick, I went for one. The wing will fit my trunk, and maybe the fuselage.

I ran into a couple issues build it, but it is basicly a fairly well bulit ARF. It built out tail heavy, so I'm having to ad about 6 1/2 oz of lead to the nose. I just found the lead sheet I had put away, so I may get it ready to go for tomorrow. Two weeks out of the air is to long.

Don
Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds alot like my solo got to the field and everybody was packing up, I had about 5-7 help flights no buddy box and some sim time,so I took the Nextar up myself it was a rush knowing I could fly any time I wanted with out any help.
about 10 flights later I had a spectacular tip stall crash tore the firewall off the plane,took me 5 days of evenings to get it back to flying shape,don't be in any hurry to get #2 before you wire those landings shut
way to go!! good to hear your building confidence the small steps turn into leaps soon enough.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

psst.....big stick .60
Tough call; was thinking maybe the new Great Planes Cherokee ARF, although I saw some guys flying aerobatic/3D and it looked like a lot of fun, so maybe something more sporty...like the PHOENIX EXTRA 300S?! Definitely the right price for a second airplane, and good reviews to boot. Of course when I'm ready to buy it and when I'm ready to fly it are two different stories! Still gotta work on the landings, and just get some stick time and get COMFORTABLE.

Congratulations. Keep it up and you will have it mastered in no time. As for the second plane, the Extra probably isn't a great idea. It will likely have a few odd habits that a second plan shouldn't. I could be wrong of course. Also the 3D/fun fly stuff is cool but they are VERY responsive and not ususally good for a second plane. I'd stick with the Cherokee idea (some pictures in the ARF forum, very pretty plane), Tiger-2, Sig 4-Star, Hangar-9 Pulse, World Models Sky Raider Mach-2, Stik, planes like that.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Jester241

Yeah....I wouldnt advise getting anything aerobatic yet. I'm way past trainers,and have just now started flying an aerobatic plane(seagull edge 540),and it is a handful yet sometimes. Particularly during landing. They are VERY sensitive and just dont have the same relaxed feel some planes do. You may want to go with a taildragger,but keep it simply. I hear the Sig 4 Stars are GREAT low wing,tail dragging second planes. Good news is you got instructors to help fly your next plane though.

psst......big sticks come in .40 size too(GREEEEEAT second planes) My big stick was my second plane and is still my favorite/funnest plane to fly. And it will do some nice aerobatics.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

psst.....big stick .60
Congratulations. Keep it up and you will have it mastered in no time. As for the second plane, the Extra probably isn't a great idea. It will likely have a few odd habits that a second plan shouldn't. I could be wrong of course. Also the 3D/fun fly stuff is cool but they are VERY responsive and not ususally good for a second plane. I'd stick with the Cherokee idea (some pictures in the ARF forum, very pretty plane), Tiger-2, Sig 4-Star, Hangar-9 Pulse, World Models Sky Raider Mach-2, Stik, planes like that.
I think you guys are right. There was someone at the field yesterday trying to talk me into an aerobat, saying I'd be fine with it with a couple of flights back on the buddy box. I think I'm going to head either the Cherokee route or the Nitromodels Super Low Wing Trainer (Tiger Copy) or the H9 Pulse XT 40.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 AM
ChuckW

The Cherokee, Tiger and Pulse ARE aerobatic (a high wing trainer can even do more than some people think). They just won't have a tendency to snap or stall near as easily as a plane like a Cap or Extra.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Jetdesign

Gotcha.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Adui

Yeah....I wouldnt advise getting anything aerobatic yet. I'm way past trainers,and have just now started flying an aerobatic plane(seagull edge 540),and it is a handful yet sometimes. Particularly during landing. They are VERY sensitive and just dont have the same relaxed feel some planes do. You may want to go with a taildragger,but keep it simply. I hear the Sig 4 Stars are GREAT low wing,tail dragging second planes. Good news is you got instructors to help fly your next plane though.

psst......big sticks come in .40 size too(GREEEEEAT second planes) My big stick was my second plane and is still my favorite/funnest plane to fly. And it will do some nice aerobatics.

RELAXED!! You mean landings get RELAXED someday?? I shake all over after every landing so far.. I look forward to theday I wont look like I've severe nerve twitching just because Im landing.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Jetdesign

I guess I meant more relaxed? My knees shake so much I can hardly stand up!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Hypersprint

Hey FatOrangeKat,

Congratulations

and I am sorry I missed your maiden last week. I believe my plane and I are ready this week so I hope to meet you tomorrow night.

Later
Robby
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Jetdesign

Weather's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow...see you there! Oh, and I got there at 4pm last week and people were already flying.