Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aileron servo lead clips?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aileron servo lead clips?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:16 PM
cdw21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron servo lead clips?

One more question tonight...

I have to connect my aileron servo leads to aileron extension cable that goes tp the reciever everytim I bolt my wings on.

I currently use tape around the connection point so they dont happen to come off during flight (just paranoid)

Is there anything I can use instead of tape? Are there any kind of clips that are made just for this purpose? I cant seem to find any unless Im just not searching for the proper name of such a thing.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2008, 11:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Aileron servo lead clips?

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=servo+wire+clip[/link]
Old 05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also used dental floss to tie the connectors together or 3/8 shrink tubing over the connectors. The clips look a lot cleaner though and easier to remove when you want to disassemble.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:35 PM
cdw21

RCKen, That was quick!

That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I see they even make one for JR which is perfect for me.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Don't waste your time or money on that stuff.
Get some heat-shrink tubing and be done with it. I promise you, it won't come loose in flight. Get some that just slides over it, and shrink it down. You'll have to cut if off with a knife when you want to remove it.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

2slow2matter,
He wanted to use clips because he has to remove the wing for transport. Heat shrink IMHO is the best option, but not one when the connection has to be undone to remove the wing.

Ken
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 AM
2slow2matter

Oh, I gotcha.
What I would do is plug a Y into the RX and leave it there. Then I would run a long enough extension out the wing root so that when I plug the wing in, the extension will be ready to plug into the Y. That would allow you to bury the servo connector in the wing, and heat shrink it.
Hope that made sense.
But if you want to mess with those things everytime you set your plane up, then by all means.....
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, no it does not make sense. As Ken noted, he has to remove the wing for transport, as most of us do, and then disconnect the servo extensions from the RX. Yeah, the Y connector works if you don't care for independent servo control. But you STILL have to remove something to disconnect the wing from the fuselage and the receiver. Those plastic things Ken pointed out are perfect because they snap in and snap out just as easy.

CGr.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 PM
2slow2matter

Actually, it does make sense. Let me type this slow so that everyone can understand.
You have a servo in the wing. The wires coming off of it are too short to reach the root of the wing. So you go and buy yourself (let's say) a 12 inch extension. You connect that extension to the servo lead, and secure it using heat shrink. Now, the extension is long enough to protrude out of the root of the wing, and into the fuse of the plane when it is put together.
Now, you have a receiver, right? So you take the aileron channel, and you plug in a Y connector. Now all you have to do is plug the wing in, screw the wing to the fuse, and make sure the servo extension goes through it's little hole, and into the fuse. Now, connect the end of the servo extension to the Y connector and you are done.
Do you need a clip between the extension and the Y? No, you do not. The only reason to secure a connection together is becuase it is hidden (like in the wing) so that you can't examine it easily when you are setting the plane up. The connectors that are in plane sight can (and should) be easily secured for the day's flight.
Now, if you do not want to mess with a Y connector (becuase you may want independent subtrim adjustment, or differential programmed in) then that is a simple fix as well. You now run not a Y out of the aileron channel from the rx, but instead you run a 6 inch lead from the aileron channel, and a 6 inch lead from the slave channel. You put a different color tape near the end of each wire so that you know which one controls which side. You then put the same color of tape on the corresponding servo extension end, and it becomes a matter of matching red to red and blue to blue. I've done it both ways, many of times.
The only reason to fret about servo connections is if they are hidden, as flight after flight after flight of vibrations can cause them to loosen up. However, one also has to worry about corrosion after a while, that is why I have done away with extensions all together (that and their cost). Instead, I opt to cut the servo lead, and splice in the appropriate amount of servo wire.
I'm sorry if that is confusing, it's the simplest way I know to explain it. Not everyone's opinion has to be the same.
I personally see it as rediculous to pay close to 10 bucks (with shipping) for 3 of those clips.
That's just my opinion. If the OP wants to use my method then he's welcome to it. If he doesn't understand it still, then he's welcome to ask again.
Anything else is taking away from this post.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM
cdw21

2slow2matter,

I must admit I still dont fully "get it"....I mean I am new to the hobby just been flying a few months and think I am pretty good at "getting" things but not this one. Im not sure if it makes a difference but I am flying a Kadet LT-40 so there is only one servo for both ailerons.

10 bucks is a lot for three little plastic clips but Im just sick of taping it up and then peeling the tape off when Im done for the day.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have any kind of hobby shop in your area they should have the clips.
One of my friends came up with A really cool set up. He has balsa blocks glued to each side of the fuse and has his RX leads glued to those facing up, he just plugs into them so he doesn't have to fumble around everytime with the leads. I know this isn't any locking system but it does make it an easy in and out thing.
So far I have never had one of my aileron leads vibrate apart and I don't use anything to lock them together. I know, it only takes once.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

<<snip>>Do you need a clip between the extension and the Y? No, you do not. <<snip>>
cdw21,
All he said (that pertains to you) is above.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
opjose

BTW: Hobby Lobby sells "automatic" connectors.

When you insert the wings, the servo clips are connected automatically.

These work best with low wing planes that have seperate removable wings, but they CAN be used with almost any plane.

My only misgiving about these, is that since they are affixed to the airframe, they will be subject to additional vibrations.

The upside is that as long as the wings are on, the connectors remain secure.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 PM
2slow2matter

Alright,
Sometimes you read something and no matter what, you just can't see anything other than what you want to see.
For whatever reason, I thought we were talking about a plug in winglike, say, a midwing design where there was a servo in each wing, and you needed an extension to get out to the root of the wing.
So, now I understand what you are talking about. Apparently, there is something in a screen name....[&o]
Since you have one servo only, sitting in the middle of your wing, then it is simple. You do not have nor need to tape the connections together.
Sorry for the confusion guys. Sometimes I'm just too tired to "get it."
I hope this helps.
So, to recap, don't worry about all of that other gibberish right now. you do not need to worry about securing the connection together. If in fact you do want to, then yestape or the clip is the only way to go, but I really think you are wasting time and money. The only connections that I secure are those that I cannot see, and do not disconnect and re-connect everytime I fly. That is why I use heat shrink. Your connection is no more likely to come apart than the connection at the rx.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:36 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you don't "clip" the leads together you won't have as much chance of damaging wiring when the wing pops off during a bad landing and/or crash.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:00 PM
cdw21

bruce88123,

You do have a point there.