Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cutting hinge slots

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cutting hinge slots

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
madmoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting hinge slots

I'm getting ready to do the hinges on the LT-40 and have seen a number of people mention the Great Planes slot machine. When I looked for it, there also appears to be a cutting guide that works with it as well that is supposed to keep it centered on the spot. Has anyone used these two together, is it worth the cost?

Thanks!
Micahel (Madmoe) Moe
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
goirish

Default RE: Cutting hinge slots

I use both of them most of the time. The cutting guide helps you keep the cutter going in straight and not at a angle. There are two different cutting heads. One for CA and the other for plastic hinges. Make sure you are using the correct one.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, get the guide. I also recommend practicing a few slots on some scrap or and old (busted up) wing just to get used to the machine. It works great but does take a couple of slots to get the feel of it.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 PM
goirish

AHHHHH!!!! Bruce

Just go ahead and cut-emif they are wrong just fill it with putty. Only kidding Bruce.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can, buy your cutter from the LHS and have them plug it in so you can check it. I hated mine and it was more work then it was worth. Then one day I happened to notice it only had one blade going back and forth??? I would have sent it back to tower but by then several years had gone by so I was stuck with it. When they are working correctly they are great!! And yes, get the guide, it really helps A lot. And check it instead of swearing at it!!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

If you can, buy your cutter from the LHS and have them plug it in so you can check it. I hated mine and it was more work then it was worth. Then one day I happened to notice it only had one blade going back and forth??? I would have sent it back to tower but by then several years had gone by so I was stuck with it. When they are working correctly they are great!! And yes, get the guide, it really helps A lot. And check it instead of swearing at it!!
Sort of like half a pair of scissors with only one blade working?? Not very useful. [:@]
Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was an article a year or so back in one of my magazines, Model airplane news, Model avaiation, or Fly RC, that had a grea article about building a jig for the slot machine that would allow you to place a hinge in edge of 1/16" stock.

I've got two of them, and I will use them most of the time, but they are very limited in capacity. One major complaint is that if a blade hits a hard spot, the blades will split apart and when they penetrate the back side of the stock they are up to 3/32" apart. I then have to use one of the Dubro pickle forks and punch out the center. Solft balsa with no hint of CA or Epoxy on the hinge line and they are OK, If you are trying to place a hinge that will split the TE of a rib, you are in trouble.

I am in the process of converting over to the Robart hinges. You can get much better alignment with them.

Don.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don, I mix my hinges between hinge points and flat hinges. Just depends on the type of edges and what is behind them. On A kit of scratch built plane it is easy to add support where the hinges are going to go. On an ARF you can be stuck and have to use whatever works. The Hinge Points are sure easier to set up!!