Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What Brushless motor to buy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What Brushless motor to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Brushless motor to buy

i bought a gws estater as my first plane and tried to learn to fly it by myself long story short it didnt have enough power for flight w/ the gws 8.4 batt and 400c motor
so i bought a gws slowstick and a 11.1v 2200 25c lipo battery and i am useing the 400 power system as well. the problem is i burnt out a motor and i have another one thanks to my estarter but i ony run it half throttle cause i dont want to burn it out. (so i cant fly the estarter)

i would like to upgrade to brushless but i dont know what to buy. i would like the brushless to be good for some acrobatics when i get a low wing or warbird or something
but for now i need it to power mainly my estarter and my slowstick after the motor burns out.

i was looking at great planes motors on this page http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...5&C=GHGGPM&P=0
i was thinking i needed a 20-30-3500 or a 24-33-2500
do i need a gearbox or what? the page says the 24-33-2500 can spin a 9x6-16x6 is that w/ gearbox or no?

and how do i mount it to the gws stick style motor mount

i dont have a steady income so the less gearbox's and stuff the better

the prop i am useing now on my slowstick is a 11-7 and the gear ratio is 3.00x1 with a 400 brushed motor

Thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 AM
mclina

Default RE: What Brushless motor to buy

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...047_Prop_Combo

Try one of the Tower Pro combos from Hobby City. They are pretty cheap and seem to work pretty well. In the link above, just replace the ***** with hobbycity dot com. For some reason they block it on this board, I think because of a spam problem.

Maybe this one:

TowerPro BM2408-21T / 18A BEC / 1047 Prop Combo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70844.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1027854  
Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Fflier9
My Feedback: (4)

you'll have to prop down if you don't want a gear box but that's no big deal. Just move to an outrunner.
one of these work work well
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWT1&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWT2&P=7
the one on the bottom would be a better investment for a different airframe like maybe a 3d foamie or something down the road.....just slap on a 20 amp BL speed control and go.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
jimmyjames213

the shipping is a lot some $18 for 3-5 day and i dont feel like waiting 7-30 days with the $5 shipping
i wouldnt be opposed to going a little more expensive

i was thinking a Great Planes Ammo 20-40-2080 inrunner http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWW8&P=0
or a Great Planes Rimfire 28-26-1000 outrunner http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWT2&P=0
both with a 11x4.7 prop

my question now becomes how do i mount them
the inrunner i could use http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMLJ3&P=0 just bypass the gears for direct drive?
or the outrunner could i just drill holes in my gws gearbox and take the gears out and mount it like that?

both of these should give me crazy power for what i need tell me if im wrong (flying gws fomies)

ok i would go w/ the second one ^^^ more power (typing as you posted)
Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 PM
mclina

Yeah, the Hobby City shipping can take a while. I don't order from them if I am in a hurry. They usually take a week, but I have waited a bit longer for some small stuff.

I know that you aren't ordering from them, but if anybody does order the Towerpro motors or combos from them, I would highly recommend buying a spare set of motor shafts at the same time. The motors do have lots of power, but the shafts can bend pretty easily. They only cost about $2 for a three pack of shafts, and you really don't want to pay for and wait for shipping on a $2 order.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jimmy,
Check out LightFlightRC. They have great deals on stuff for foamies and other light electric flight stuff and they are a small outfit out of CA looking to match the prices and better shipping than the guys across the pacific. Go to Products and Motors and ESC's and they have combos for the GWS motor replacements. Check out the Accessories page from products and they have stick mounts for ARC motors. I bet you could get the 28mm GWS stick mount with a suppo combo (outrunner and esc) for under $27 shipped.
Have fun and let us know what you choose.
Curtis
Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM
jimmyjames213

im thinking about going over the top and buying a rimfire 28-30-1450 outrunner its 50 bucks but then i will never have to buy a motor again
im just so tired of my planes being underpowered that i just want to be sure im getting a good motor
ive wasted about a 100 bucks on crap that hasnt worked or has worked then fried itsself (stupid gws motors)
this motor says it can make a 1.7 lb plane do 3d/extream stuff and i have a lot of powerlines around my area so if im about to hit one i want to know if i go vert and gun it i will go vert and miss the lines
thanks to my p.o.s gws motors ive hit the lines 3 times and it almost got stuck once
i have found a better field but the one with the lines is right in my back yard so i dont have to go anywhere (its a baseball field next to a football field, the lines are for the lights)
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I here you about the bad motors, but have you looked at the spec sheets for the prop and battery combos for the 400's? I am not sure they are as detailed as the 350C, but they don't recommend running the 350's over 8.4v because of heat issues. That may have been the only problem with your system. Hard to say without being there, but I have been using a 350C in my tutor for a while now on 8.4V NiMH and have had nothing but good luck with them. I do believe that we get what we pay for and I may have just been lucky so far. Have fun and report back how it flies with the new setup.
Curtis
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 PM
jimmyjames213

well i know im overpowering the motors with my 11.1v 25c 2200mah lipo
but before that i tried to fly a estarter with a 8.4 batt (i was tring to learn how to fly by myself ) at first with a 350 and it would get the plane up to about 20 ft and i would do a slow turn (to avoid wire) and it would turn but loose a lot of power from which i couldnt recover
then i got a 400 and it was no better
problem was the battery can only supply 8 amps and the motor needs 10 at full throttle

so i got a slowstick and the 2200 lipo and it flew at half throttle great. but after i recharged the batter and i went to fly it got in the air and i heard this cluck sound and i lost power. the motor fried. so i took out my estarter motor and i am currently flying that but its hardly keeping it in the air at 3/4 trottle and ive hit a lot of wires
and im in kansas so the wind can pick up randomly and totaly screwing me with the gws motor

or maybe its because im a noob or i didnt build the estarter great (to heavy) or im tring to go vert to quick to avoid the powerlines. in the better field it works well at about 20-30 feet in the air at half throttle

long story short i want more power than the gws motor is giving me
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
jimmyjames213

well i got a 25 amp brushless esc, 10x4.7 gws props, and a rimfire 28-30-1450 outrunner im going to mount it to my current gws gearbox after i take the motor and gears out and drill some holes.
if that doesnt work take a 2x2 piece of sheet aluminum and mount that to the gearbox and then mount the motor to that