Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting engine started

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting engine started

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 PM
ScienceisCool
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting engine started

I'm trying to get my TT Pro .46 running again but am having trouble. It was very stiff at first so I put some fuel in the hole for the glow plug and now it turns easily. I know there is fuel flow as when I try to start it and I turn the plane on its side to dump extra fuel out the muffler a lot of thick, darker fuell flows out. The glow plug is good and am using an electric starter. Am I flooding it or something?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Getting engine started

Hi!
Are you sure the glow plug glow enough??
11x6 APC, 5%-10% nitro fuel and an OS 8 or Enya 3 glow plug and it will start right away!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:01 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The dark fuel could be dark because it's flushing out old after run oil, old dried up castor oil, or it's flushing out surface rust from the bearings. If the engine seems to turn over relatively smoothly, the bearings aren't so far gone that the engine shouldn't run, however. Adding a bit of fuel to loosen things up was the right thing to do.

If you have a bunch of gunk coming out of the engine, it could have fouled your glow plug. I'd try a fresh glow plug (not an expensive one, like a Tower Hobbies or Super Tigre plug) and I'd open up my low speed and high speed needles. If the needles are too rich, the engine will run poorly; if they're too lean, however, then it won't run at all.

Get a clean, new piece of fuel tubing and connect it to your low and high speed needles and blow through the tube. This will allow you to make sure that the needles are open enough and that nothing is blocking or fouling them.

You simply need a hot glow plug, fuel, and compression to get the engine started. It sounds like you have compression so simply check the above items to assure heat and fuel. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
ScienceisCool

The glow plug is new and is glowing hot. I took the fuel line off and blew through it to make sure it wasn't blocked and I saw bubbles coming out so that's ok. I'll open the needles a bit and try it again this evening. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:46 PM
flyX

If your engine had been sitting around for a while and if you don't flush it...that's one good way to kill it.
Don't worry , you can get a repair kit for it. (sleeving and piston set)...later.
When your engine starts running hot for no particular reason..or perhase that's what worn out sleeving/piston do.

When those gunk particals break up..they like to fly around and hit the glow plug coil and kill that too.

if you had ever taken an engine apart after it's been sitting for a while...you'll notice a line of gunk on the sleeving
where the top the piston was sitting. If the gunk gets cuaght between the sleeving and piston...it likes to make scores
on the sleeving and piston.lol

After run oil is nice...but ya see, that if it works it's into the carb orifis too.lol

Remove all plastic parts (o rings) and soat it.
If you shine a flash light into the bearings...you'll notice corrosion build up on the balls.

Remove the needle valve so whatever cleaner will work it's way into the carb's orifis.

Well...if your fuel is old...half air/half fuel.lol
Do you ever notice condensation or meldew in the morning on the hood of your car ?lol Ya see...that samething happens if you let
your fuel sit outside or in the garage.lol
Old 09-19-2008, 04:12 PM
ScienceisCool

I was trying to run it on old fuel, about 2 inches left in a 6 month old bottle. I bought a new gallon the other day so I'll try using that instead.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 PM
ScienceisCool

So I got back from Bomberfield today and gave my engine another try. I emptied the older fuel I had in the tank, put on a new glow plug and tried to crank it up. It wouldn't start with the throttle at idle or 2 clicks open. I was still getting alot of fuel coming out of the muffler if I tipped it over. I put it to half throttle and it started right up!

I ran about a half tank through it playing with the throttle and setting the high needle. I couldn't get the low end set (if I let it idle it immediately died) but I'll get someone to help me at the field when I head out there in a few weeks.

So happy I don't have to do major repairs or cleaning on the engine. Can't wait to get it back up in the air!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Redback

Sounds like your idle jet may be blocked. This would explain why the engine will only fire when the main jet kicks in.

Strip the carb and give it a good clean out.

Terry