Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

esky flight simulator

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

esky flight simulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:36 PM
cdibar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esky flight simulator

I installed the flight simulator I had to install a patch for the windows vista. Now all the screen does is blink. Is there something I can do to fix this?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: esky flight simulator

Get Realflight!!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Bladecx2guy

Im just kidding man! Welcome to the boards!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 AM
cdibar

this is for my kids who love rc airplanes and are just starting out. lol
Old 12-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Hareman
My Feedback: (1)

I think several other people have had problems with this program also. You might want to go to the forums at RCGroup.com and wattflyer.com to possibly see what's going on with them.
I assume you bought your program from "Nitro planes" for $19.95? That sounds like a real deal - I hope it is.
Good luck.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 PM
bigedmustafa

ESky bundles FMS V2 Alpha 8.3 on a CD-ROM with their $19.99 USB simulator control box. It's a pretty nice package for the price as the USB control box works surprisingly well once it is callibrated and configured.

Anyone with the ESky USB RC flight sim controller might also want to check out http://www.rcflightsim.com and download the trial version of the Clear View RC simulator. I found the ESky controller worked very well with the Clear View simulator. Clear View has superior graphics and physics IMHO when compared to FMS and is well worth giving a try. If you like it, you can register your copy of Clear View for $39.99 to unlock all of the various models and flying fields in the full version.

The ESky controller should install and configure as easily as any other joystick. The crux of cdibar's problem is how to get the FMS simulator program to work under Windows Vista. The following links all turned up when I Googled "FMS and Windows Vista":

http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2008/03/06/...wto-fix-d3drm/

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7714703/printable.htm

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fm...pic.php?t=3701

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730253

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fm...pic.php?t=5065

Hopefully there is enough information there to allow the OP to get their FMS program running correctly.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 PM
cdibar

Thanks everyone for your help, I got the blinking to stop now we see the airplane but it moves by itself the controller does not do anything? lol Any help with this.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:39 PM
bigedmustafa

The controller will need to be calibrated from the Windows control panel first. Once that is done, you will then have to calibrate and map the controller in FMS as well. The plane is moving by itself most likely because the left stick isn't mapped to the throttle.

Airplane assignments should be 1 = aileron, 2 = elevator, 3 = throttle, 4 = rudder. Follow the calibration instructions carefully in FMS. It will first ask you to move both sticks around fully on all axis, then click next. It will then tell you to center both sticks and then click next again. If you don't center the throttle stick before clicking next a second time, your throttle will be programmed squirrelly or not work at all.

Good luck, and keep firing off questions.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Witterings

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Anyone with the ESky USB RC flight sim controller might also want to check out http://www.rcflightsim.com and download the trial version of the Clear View RC simulator. I found the ESky controller worked very well with the Clear View simulator. Clear View has superior graphics and physics IMHO when compared to FMS and is well worth giving a try. If you like it, you can register your copy of Clear View for $39.99 to unlock all of the various models and flying fields in the full version.
I've used FMS since I started flying but having read this thought I'd try Clearview, I downloaded and installed, it showed in the top left hand corner of the screen that I had 900 seconds of trial time and at no stage to my knowledge did I press any button to activate it.
I teid to find my TX but wasn't clear if I was piinting it to teh right port, it also slowed my ccomputer right down adn I got a message saying increasing Virtual Memory.
I tried closing Clearview and then re opening it to see if it would work properly and my computer would speed up again following the new installation and could then get it to recognise the TX but when it opened it said I'd used the trial time so personally not very impressed at all and have unistalled it !!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 AM
cdibar

Thanks everyone we got it working.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Super-Cub-boi

hi so it blinks

and u got vista ok weel heres hw u fix it

go on the graphics colum on the game

tick smooth textures, and the one above that (cnt remember what it called)

do not tick textures

and click 16-bit

the graphics wont be the best but u can still get the feel for the controls and u can see the rc plane

hope this helped
Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 AM
bigedmustafa

I'm sorry to hear that your trial period with Clear View didn't work as expected, Witterings. Perhaps you could have e-mailed the folks at Clear View about resetting your trial timer rather than giving up immediately?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 PM
cdibar

Are you able to download other planes to the esky flight simulator. looks like it says you can on nitro?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
bigedmustafa

You'll want to check out the FMS forums on Eric Brouwer's R/C Homepage:

http://www.n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/forum/

He and other posters offer dozens of links to great (and not so great) additional models you can download and install into FMS.

Most of the new models are saved as .zip files. You'll want to extract them to your C:\Program Files\FMS\Models\ folder.

Some of my favorite downloads came from:

http://kimagure-hikoki.hp.infoseek.c...er6/index.html

This link has 8 or so pages full of various models for download.

Good luck and good flying!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 AM
Witterings

Yes, try here http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm

and here http://www.rc-sim.de/

Soem of the most realistic models I've found are the the E-Flight Mini Funatana and Mini Edge and the Seb Art Katana but if you're new to RC they may be a bit toomuch plane for you to start off with but maybe some for later on
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
cdibar

I tried saving the zip file and when I try to open it gives me a message saying that it is denied???
Old 12-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Witterings

Have you just tried one or several, don't know how you're trying to open them but I just double click and you'll then see several files, keep dilling down if you need to so there's no more folders then copy everything in there and then paste it into, C Drive, Program files, FMS, Models.
I assume you signed up with a username etc although from memory I don't think lets you dowmload anything until you have.

Actually I've just re-read what you actually wrote, are you sure you've registered properly and the logged in - that's all I can think of as I've never had a problem ?????????
Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
cdibar

I tried to download it I save it then when I go to open it I get a message of access to the comprssed (zipped) folder c:\program files\fms\model\yb-22.zip is denied.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
cdibar

I got this working now also!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
thorn247
My Feedback: (6)

Does anyone have or know where to find a f4-e phantom?

thanks Dave
Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Spacemonkey71

this is kind of a question about the Esky simulator in general. I have it and it is interesting to run with the dummy flight box, but my question in "how 'real' is it?" Some of the planes seem almost impossible to crash, while others are "dirt divers". Is this simulator REALLY acceptable for self training or does it lull pilots into overconfidence b/c of it's ease?

I'd love to get Realflight, but I REALLY don't want to spend a couple of hundred and get stuck with a low framerate simulator (this just KILLS the experience...). I know the box has a "minimum requirement" but what is the ACTUAL "minimum requirement" to get it to run decently. My laptop is a 1.8Ghz, 1GbRam and my console is an overclocked P4 3.2Ghz (running at 3.5) and 1 gig of high speed "hyper" ram, and an Nvidia 7600 video card. Do y'all think either of these can handle it without being a litteral drag?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:10 PM
bigedmustafa

FMS is fun to play with, and it is a good tool for beginning pilots to practice learning "toward" and "away" orientation, but it's not very realistic at all with regard to overall flight physics.

Real Flight offers downloadable demo versions of G3.5 and G4. You should give them a try to see how well your PCs will run them. I mentioned the Clear View flight sim earlier in this thread, and I believe it to be a very reasonably priced product with good physics. You can download the trial version of Clear View at http://www.rcflightsim.com and then register it for $39.99 to unlock the full version if you like it and the demo runs well for you.

As previously mentioned, Clear View works perfectly well with the ESky USB sim controller.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
smokeyser

ORIGINAL: Spacemonkey71

this is kind of a question about the Esky simulator in general. I have it and it is interesting to run with the dummy flight box, but my question in "how 'real' is it?" Some of the planes seem almost impossible to crash, while others are "dirt divers". Is this simulator REALLY acceptable for self training or does it lull pilots into overconfidence b/c of it's ease?

I'd love to get Realflight, but I REALLY don't want to spend a couple of hundred and get stuck with a low framerate simulator (this just KILLS the experience...). I know the box has a "minimum requirement" but what is the ACTUAL "minimum requirement" to get it to run decently. My laptop is a 1.8Ghz, 1GbRam and my console is an overclocked P4 3.2Ghz (running at 3.5) and 1 gig of high speed "hyper" ram, and an Nvidia 7600 video card. Do y'all think either of these can handle it without being a litteral drag?
As for how real FMS is, it reminds me a bit of nintendo games... Not super nintendo. The original one from the 80's. It's only real use in flight training is for practicing controlling a plane that is flying at you. If you get disoriented a lot, fms can help. If you want to learn to fly a real model, fms isn't going to help.

Your desktop machine should have no problem at all running realflight as long as you're not using windows vista. With vista you might be a little short on ram, since the os uses quite a bit.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Witterings

Personally I can't see the piont in spending good money on a simulator when you can spend it on planes instead

Go to the kennedy space centre and ride the launch simulator - - - how real is it or does the Kennedy Space centre run a 3rd rate one, I don't think it's any different with Sims and it's probably as close as they can get.

I've learnt ALL 3D with FMS including hovering, harriers, slow rolling harrier circles etc, if you can do it on FMS you can do it with a plane and a little bit of learning the difference isn't that great but to just do it on a plane would take years !!!!

Yes it's different but I would have destroyed several planes learning total 3D but instead killed one and repaired another that flies like new instead of ,maybe 10 planes at least to get where I am now !!!!!

I think I mentioned it earlier but you want to download some of the better planes for FMS, if anyone knows of a decent screen / video capture that doesn't take up huge amounts of fike space and I can record and post somewher will happily do a demo and post it but all te ones I've found so far really slow the computer down so you can''t fly properly or the quality is rubbish
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
fishingdan

I purchased Clearview just before Christmas and I'm very happy with it. While FMS is free, I too had to work through the issues with Vista and the nvideo video chipset. With Clearview, I just downloaded it and installed it. There is nothing too it. I have been able to use my Esky controller from my Esky Lama v4 coaxial heli.

The graphics are good and there is a nice assortment of planes and helis available. I've seen Realflight at the LHS and it is really nice too. I just can't justify the difference in cost for my needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.