Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting a plane running again?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting a plane running again?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Conan4480

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a plane running again?

I have a Hangar 9 Alpha trainer that has not flown since 2004. I am going to get back in to flying in the next couple of months and I was wondering what I needed to do to get it back up in the air? I figure that I will need to replace the Tx/Rx batteries as well as the fuel line. What other things should I look at?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 PM
mpw_8679

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting a plane running again?

It all kinda depends on how it was stored for that period of time. Batteries and fuel lines are a good place to start along with maybe a fuel tank if it has build up on the inside. Was the engine u plan on using out of use for that period of time also? Other then that give it a good lookover and make sure to range check the radio. I had an Astro Hog that was in my parents barn for about 15 years. It had an OS 70 surpass and Futaba conquest radio in it. All I did was blow the dust off of it installed new batteries, and got the engine purring again. Flew and ran like a dream. It wouldnt hurt to double check all the fasteners such as engine mount bolts, servo horn screws, control linkages, ect.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got planes that hadn't flown for 4 years and just charged them, fueled them up and gone flying.

You could do a good check on the batteries first, but I wouldn't run right out and replace them. Chances are they will work just fine.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience has been the same as Minnflyer's
Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto Minnflyer and W8ye.

Ken
Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, I cannot resist. Ditto Minnflyer, W8ye and RCKen. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
w8ye

Some things that give trouble on an old plane that's been setting around

The internals of the fuel tank

Plane was stored with something laying on the plane causing a warped surface or something falling causing a hole in the covering or hanger rash

My old Monokote covered planes, the covering held up for at least 35 years but silk, silkspan, & tissue only last 3 to 5 years at most and it gets brittle.

The engine can seize up. Most often it is the throttle barrel but can be the whole engine. Soaking in alcohol, solvent, or WD40 usually take care of this
Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Live Wire

can't believe this, 4 Mod's and not one trash bag,
I would at least cycle my batteries and degum the motor. Charge and go fly[:@]
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Be sure to run a full tank thru it before flying, crud will show up often on engines that have set a long time. The other guys covered it well
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 AM
jrcaster

4 Mods and noone suggested fresh fuel.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 AM
w8ye

I've used 5 yr old fuel that ran perfect. But you have to keep it in the dark and the temperature stable

Fuel containing Nitro that is exposed light and especially strong sun light for extended periods will not run correctly in your engine. You will find it impossible to addust the needle valve. The engine will sound rich all the way up to the point of lean shut off. If your engine continually quits as it begins flight even after readjusting the needle valve, suspect the fuel.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

There is some lucky ppl on here. If i tryed to fly a plane that has been setting up that long it would for sure make a good yard dart.. I would check it over good and then check it again before i put it back in the air. and all the things about the battery, fuel tank and lines need to be checked over real good. Anyways good luck with it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrcaster

4 Mods and noone suggested fresh fuel.
As long as the fuel was stored in a sealed container it should be ok. Age does not harm fuel. The enemy of fuel is moisture. If fuel isn't stored in a sealed container then it's probably no good and should be discarded, otherwise it should be good. However, if you try and start the engine and are having problems with it that you can't explain or correct then you might want to try a fresh jug of fuel.

Ken
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
vegas mossie

maybe an inline fuel filter if you don't already have one...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Rufcut

Conan4480,
I got back into the hobby after a similar layoff period and I can tell you the above posts are good advice. I had a little disaster with fuel tubing. I inspected the tubing on my Tiger Trainer 60 and it looked fine but I neglected to flush the clunk which turned out to be partially blocked. When I fueled up, using an electric pump, the back pressure on the clunk caused the fuel line to slip off the nipple at the tank. So there I am, listening to the hum of my pump, imagining the "delirious burning blue" that awaits me. After about half a minute, I start to wonder just how big a tank I have. Eventually, it sinks in that I have a problem. I remove the wing and see that the tank is only half full. So is the fuselage![X(] Fortunately, I had raised the receiver and battery off the deck as part of converting to floats so none of the electronics got soaked. But, I had to strip all the gear out and spend several hours with a can of K2R and a brush to clean up all that fuel soaked wood. So, be sure that all the fuel lines are secured, or better yet replace them, and the clunk is clean.[&:]
Good luck and welcome back!!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Conan4480

Thanks a bunch guys,

I started flying in 04 when I told my wife that I had alwas wanted a R/C Airplane, so she got me one for my birthday. I flew it a few time in 04 and then got orders to Hawaii. So it got boxed up and it went to hawaii with me and I had fully planed to flying it out there but didnt get a chance to. After three years out there I got orders back to Texas and here I am wanting to fly again. I will be pulling it out of the box when I get back next month. So for my birthday this year she is getting me my AMA mimbership again and paying for the club dues for the year. I can't wait to get it back in the air.