Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Problem tuning my 55ax

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Problem tuning my 55ax

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem tuning my 55ax

I have a 55ax with a jett muffler on my pulse 40, and when I fire it up just to run some fuel through it if I give it full throttle for about 2 minutes the engine temp gets to 180Degrees and looses alot of power, and I am at 4 turns out on the rich side. I am wondering if when I fly it that it is much cooler because of the airflow, could that be the issue, I would assume 80+mph flying it would keep it quite cool, I just am wondering if in flight it is running that hot? Any suggestions? Tonight I turned it back 1 full turn on the rich side as I am going flying in the AM. Would the engine or any engine overheat at full throttle that has a cowl that is not in flight? Thanks and any suggestions would be great because this is bugging me. Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 AM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problem tuning my 55ax

At 4 turns out you may be flooding out the glow plug.

You shouldn't have overheat issues till it reaches about 300 degrees farenheit. Check this with a laser temperature probe aimed right around the glow plug.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you break it in with the stock exhaust? 180 f is not that hot....if its losing power obviosly its leaning out....check that there are no pin holes or leaks any where...in no leaks richen the high end just a little lower than peak, you really need to pay attention if you tune by ear ...... also when you run an aftermarket exhaust sometimes the factory setting are not ideal.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have to open the LS mixture a little

I had this leaning problem going to a Tower muffler and had to open the HS needle way out because of reduced muffler pressure.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Lille-bror

Hello.

If you are having problem when you are adjusting a 2 stroke engine, you should take a look in Super Tigre´s manual.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/sup/sup-manual-v1_1.pdf from page 22.

If you follow it step by step (pinch and release method), you will never run your engines too lean.

Start with the HS and then the LS.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Jacked69

Thank you for the help fellas, I did use a laser temp gauge and I did not know 300 degrees is an acceptable temp, I will lean it out a little since its loosing power as mentioned at 4 turns I may be flooding the engine causing it to loose power, also I did NOT break in the engine with the aftermarket exhaust, I used the stock OS muffler and did it according to the manual. I did use the pinch test and when I pinched the rpm's increased which means I needed to lean it a bit but was hesitant because of the temp it was at I thought was too high, now I know 300 degrees is ok. But on the low end that seems to be perfect, I have great throttle response and idle so I will just lean it a 1/8 of a turn at a time until I get it to where the rpm's do not go up or down when I pinch the fuel line. Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Phoenixangel

Watch the fuel line for a lot of tiny little bubbles closely, that is just enough time for fuel to get nice and foamy and lean out your engine...just a thought.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Lille-bror

Cool.

Remember, if the RPM doesn’t increase after one minute of wide open throttle when you pinch or hold your plane vertical, it's a little too lean

Happy flight
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Lille-bror

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

Watch the fuel line for a lot of tiny little bubbles closely, that is just enough time for fuel to get nice and foamy and lean out your engine...just a thought.
Yearh, that’s important to watch out for.

One thing is the fuel gets shake into foam.

I had another problem with my Hangar 9 Tribute. I could see air bubbles in the fuel line at WOT when the tank was under ½ full.
It didn’t help wrapping the tank in foam rubber and replace the strips with rubber bands.

A simple bubbleless clunk/bronze filter solved the problem.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Jacked69

Lille, come to think of it I do notice a good amount of bubbles in the fuel line going into the carb, what should I do about that and is that a bad thing and what could cause that? I tuned it a bit more last night and its getting closer to perfect, your fellas help as been great. Please let me know about the bubbles in the line. Thanks alot.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

These should eliminate the bubbles getting into the fuel line if it is a foaming issue, but won't solve why its making the bubbles.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF25&P=ML <- Too expensive

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD741&P=0 <- Just right

You need to pad the tank with foam because it is vibrating with the engine causing the bubbles.

Another way to have bubbles, is that you have a pressure leak and the fuel line is drawing air into itself through a hole, tear, or loose connection.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
jib

brett65,

C'mon that O-ring is worth at least $10!!! <sarcasm>

jib
Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Jacked69

Brett thank you for your help, but the tank is wrapped with foam, I will check out the link and see if that product stops this issue. I really appreciate all of your help fellas, you have been great.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Jacked69

Well I was tuning my 55ax all night and finally got it perfect. Full throttle for over 2 minutes and temp does not reach over 260 degrees, and after 1 min of full throttle I pinch the line and the rpms increase, so does this sound like its tuned correct? I have it at 3 turns open which seemed to do the job perfect. I noticed no air bubbles anymore either. Thank you for all you help.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds good congratulations
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Sounds great! You want a slight increase in RPM when you pinch the line. Temp sounds perfect.

How many gallons of fuel (total) through this engine?

I'm happy you got it running well.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:22 AM
Jacked69

Thank you all for your help, it seems to be running better and better. No bubbles, and rpm does increase slightly when I pinch the line at full throttle after about a minute, temp is perfect and power is steady. I have about a gallon maybe less of fuel through the 55ax. Thank you for all your help, it was very helpful. It seemed to response perfect to 3 turns out exactly. Im running a 12x4 prop and it turns it with the jett muffler with ease. Again thank you fellas.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Lille-bror

Super. Have fun
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: Jacked69

Thank you all for your help, it seems to be running better and better. No bubbles, and rpm does increase slightly when I pinch the line at full throttle after about a minute, temp is perfect and power is steady. I have about a gallon maybe less of fuel through the 55ax. Thank you for all your help, it was very helpful. It seemed to response perfect to 3 turns out exactly. Im running a 12x4 prop and it turns it with the jett muffler with ease. Again thank you fellas.
Wait until you have like 3 gallons through it; you will be quite impressed, I'm sure...
Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Jacked69

Thank you Gar, I heard they really wake up after about 3 gallons. Again thank you all for your help, man I love OS engines, this baby flips over by hand so easy I barley have to use my electric starter.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
opjose

man I love OS engines, this baby flips over by hand so easy I barley have to use my electric starter.
Yeah that is the big advantage to the O.S. Engines.

More than any other manufacturer they seem to get it just right, out of the box.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: opjose

man I love OS engines, this baby flips over by hand so easy I barley have to use my electric starter.
Yeah that is the big advantage to the O.S. Engines.

More than any other manufacturer they seem to get it just right, out of the box.

This is exactly why I just bought a new OS 55AX about two hours ago Bolt it on and fly away!