Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner to intermediate Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner to intermediate Planes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Mike61920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner to intermediate Planes

Hi guys I have searched the forums and couldn't find anything to answer my question. I am a beginner to intermidate flyer that is looking for a third plane. I have a four star 60 and love it, but I want to get another plane that I can fly besides my four star. I was wondering if some of you guys can recommend some planes to me or if there is a thread about this already can you redirect me to it.

Thanks abunch
Old 09-04-2009, 06:14 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beginner to intermediate Planes

Are you looking for an ARF, or willing to build a kit? What type of performance or style of flying are you looking to do with it? It sounds like you're ready to move up to a higher performance plane from your 4*.

Hogflyer
Old 09-05-2009, 12:15 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Go to overstock sale on airborne-models.com and check out the Emeraude 60 ARF. The hinges are metal and installed already, it's a fast build, and good flying plane, for only $100.00.

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopdisplayprod...verstock+Sales

Tower no longer stocks any 4 stars, amazing, yet they brought back the Ultra Sport kits. I like the Sky Raider Mach ll, $89 on the above site as well. Another faster yet gentle plane is the Cosmic Wind Minnow.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKAG2&P=7 $239 is a bit pricey, but these are great flying planes. I picked up two from the scratch and dent sales over the years, $150.

Finally the more popular ARF at our flying field is the Big Stik http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM8&P=ML
Old 09-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Sherman

The Calmato sport 40 is a wonderful plane. I also would think the calmato 60 would be equally good. They are low in price, and they fly excellently, and
are well constructed. My Calmato sport 40, much to my surprise, does a better knife edge than any airplane I have ever had (and I have
had lots of planes, since I have been in the hobby over 40 years). You will enjoy the Kyosho Calmato (low wing) sport.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you already have the 4* 60 then go for the WM Super Chipmunk. She is a very lovely plane to fly. Take the engine out of the 4*. The SC is very agile and will fly really good aerobatics. If not then look out for more aerobatic planes such as SU, Edge 540, Extras etc.

What do you want to achieve with the new plane?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:47 AM
dignlivn

Mike,

Think about a Stik, you'll love it.

Bob
Old 09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Mike61920

Actually I would rather have an arf. I have a kit and I just can't get time to work on it like I would like to so I would like to stick to arfs.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Mike61920

I would like a little more difficulty than my 4* but something that is still forgiving. I am pretty good at crashing so I don't need any practice there.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Mike61920

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will let you know what I purchase soon.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 AM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: Mike61920

Actually I would rather have an arf. I have a kit and I just can't get time to work on it like I would like to so I would like to stick to arfs.
I build both. You have a valid point.

Generally the ARFs don't last nearly as long as kit built planes. The frequency of recycle time of an ARF is often too short, so I revert back to kit building for longevity, strength, quality, and the building is as much fun as flying for me.

I just don't fly some weekends to finish up the kit instead, but it's still a hobby activity.

Reading some ARF horror stories of covering woes, landing gear failures, wing joiners opening up if not the wing planking too, the more I read the more I want to be responsible for adding more than 1/2 a drop of glue on the joint than those children do in China, that never flew a plane they built apparently. I search for vintage kits where the hardware is actually something you'd want to use in the kit.
The balsa quality is excellent. Instructions were written in English, not translated into English. I've got a few Balsa USA and Pica kits ready to go, in fact, I just talked myself into building one right now instead of posting an opinion. There is always time if you cut out something less a priority in the day.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The third plane question really boils down to what you want to do. If you're bored with your 4star, then you probably have basic piloting skills down. So what do you want to work on now? More speed, more maneuverability, more scalelike flying? Maybe a pusher to transition into jets? At this point the choice simply comes down to where you want to go in the hobby next.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
rambler53

Well said, this is when you start buying a lot of planes sampling the variety to be had, and set them down in the garage, bedroom, dining room table, planter shelves, family room, closets turn into engine and radio storage areas, and even the coffee table turns into a stand when you go in every direction from a second plane! So far, I can't find a cure.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with jester mike.I use arf's because of the time it takes to build,i don't have it right now.Seagull,pheonix,blackhorse and CMpro have all worked fine,good quality for the price you pay and very accurate kits,particularly CMpro.Try a 46 size decathlon if you want something you need to fly all the time.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Mike61920

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 PM
rchelifun11

Check out the brushless cessna 182 from www.rtfrcairplanes.com
Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3rd plane turned into to many planes ,as I sought the ultimate 3rd plane. Cubs,Cubs on floats, SSE, Skybolts, Twist ,Edges, Extras and a few more . I was,nt sure what I wanted to do with my flying . After a while I found myself building or fishing more than flying . Got bored with flying.
A few weeks ago , I decided to try and get back into flying,Took all the cool planes with me and found I was still not enjoying it as much as I once did.. Then I decide to teach myself IMAC and after looking over my fleet , picked out my old trusty 4 Star. I had,nt flown it for a couple of years and forgot how nice of plane it is. It flys all the Imac manuvers ,but not near as easy as an Extra or Edge, but by flying the 4 Star ,has given me the discipline to go from a good pilot to becoming a great pilot . I should have taken the time 100`s of flights ago to learn to fly the 4 Star to it`s full potencial.
For 3rd plane
Twist
Skybolt
SSE
But alot depends on what kind of flying you want to do . If your like me you`ll end up with many 3rd plane lol . Focus on what style you are going to fly, then you`ll get great feedback on airframes , etc.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I'm not sure what kind of flying you do, so I'm assuming you want a "jack of all trades" type of machine. Most typical sport planes would fare just fine. I have a Great Planes Extra 300SP with an OS 55AX engine. I haven't assembled it yet, but the design overall suits many purposes:

http://www.greatplanes.com/performan.../gpma1022.html

Most other mid-wing sport planes will do just as well.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Mike61920

Once again guys the help you have given me is very much appreciated. I also hope others can use this post to help them as well. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:09 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot

Another faster yet gentle plane is the Cosmic Wind Minnow.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKAG2&P=7 $239 is a bit pricey, but these are great flying planes. I picked up two from the scratch and dent sales over the years, $150.
250$ for a .60 size plane in ARF that includes EVERYTHING, and of good quality....
IS a Bargin in my book!!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Hnager 9 Pulse, GP Escapade, ...Something gentle since you are still good at crashing - as you've said.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM
mclina

I have been having a blast this summer with my Great Planes Dazzler. I built it from a kit in about a week and a half, but you can also buy it as an ARF. You can buy it's cousin, the Tower Uproar 40 as an ARF for $89. I am flying mine with an OS.46LA and it is a lot of fun. It rolls much better than my Four Star, and it has good vertical with a realtively weak engine.

It's not fast, but it's a lot of fun.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Mike61920

Guys I just thought I would tell you that I am going to buy the pulse xt 60. I appreciate all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Flying
Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent choice. I test flew one last week and it was a delight. As you get better with it, consider moving the CG to the rear of the range, as this will really bring it alive. The one I flew had a Saito .82 which was plenty here at 3200 ft.