Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need help with carb. adjustment

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need help with carb. adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
1flyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with carb. adjustment

I bought a plane off a friend for a $100 but he hasn't ran it in 14 years......

I had to disassemble the engine and carb. to get all the gunk out, now I had it running for a little bit i think just because it had some fuel in the carb.

I need to know what is the factory setting for the carb. or what is the optimal setting is.

My eleven year old son is just so excited to see it go

Thanks
Steve.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Need help with carb. adjustment

For the carb setting, it would be good to know what kind of engine it is. Some engines are different, but for most .40 to .60 size engines, about 2 1/2 turns out (ccw) from the closed position is a good starting point. As far as the optimal setting, you have get the engine running and tune to find it, and it can change a little due to temp, elevation, etc. If you get it started while set at 2 1/2 turns out, slowly, slowly, slowly, turn the needle in (cw) to lean it out to max rpm, then back off 300 to 500 rpm, usually 3 or 4 clicks. That should get you close enough to fly, but unless you are a seasoned expert, a tach of some sort is the best way to get the engine tuned properly.
If you're not an experienced Rc pilot, I would highly recommend you find a club or someone who is experienced to help you out and help you put it in the air.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:44 PM
1flyman

Thanks Jerry,

it is a .40 engine and I will give it a try tomorrow, what is the setting for the idle as well?

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

That's where it's important to know what kind of engine/carb. There are a couple different types and they are adjusted differently. Some have a "dual" needle design, in which case there will usually be an adjustment screw on the opposite side of the engine from the high speed adjustment screw. Most of the "cheaper" engines these days have what's called an "air bleed" carb which usually has a small hole on the front of the carb and a needle that is used to control the amount of air that enters the carb. Can you identify what you have before we get into how to set it?

Here is a link that might be helpful, if you aren't sure what engine/carb you have, could you take a couple good close up pics of the carb and engine and include in a post? it would be easier to helping you if you could.

[link]http://www.blacksheepclub.org/tuning.htm[/link]
Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Read the post under the engine section about tuning. Will save a lot of grief.

Also would take the needle totally out and run a pipe cleaner soaked in lighter fliud through. Just makes sure on the gunk thing.

Tom
Old 07-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Lnewqban

Welcome to the RCU forums, Steve.

Do you have previous experience with glow engines?

ORIGINAL: 1flyman

.........., now I had it running for a little bit i think just because it had some fuel in the carb.

You may need to change the glow plug.

Check this thread for additional tips and references:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9398618