Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Castle Creations Pixie-20P How to wire up...switch, fuse?

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Castle Creations Pixie-20P How to wire up...switch, fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:24 PM
kctrading
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle Creations Pixie-20P How to wire up...switch, fuse?

I am currently upgrading my RX and SC from 27mhz AM to 72mhz FM and installing a better quality CC (Castle Creations) SC.

I am using a Pixie-20P brushed SC and a Futaba FP-R127DF 7 channel RX (will switch to a CC stamp RX when they come available)

In CC instructions they do not show a switch...my old setup had a switch that screwed to the side of the plane with the switch exposed to the outside for easy on and off operation, but this was not a direct battery switch with big wires, two small wires went to SC....my guess is that the switch sould be installed after the deans positive battery connector and the red lead to the SC...Anyone run without a switch and just disconnect the battery plug? [link=http://www.castlecreations.com/documents/Pixie-20P%20User%20Guide.pdf]CC pdf instructions... [/link]

Also would you recommend I install the optional inline fuse at the white wire after the SC but before the motor? If so they recommend a 5-10amp fuse.

Also which direction do I plug in the three wire SC plug into the Futaba RX....I notice that there are three open slots (shinny metal exposed) on the SC and Servo three wire plugs...these could be 180 degree installed real easy...looking at the RX facing me would the slots go down or up?

My modified Piper Cub...
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Modified_Piper_Cub_Jr%25%25%25low_cost_mods_with_p ics_and_vid/m_2878298/tm.htm]Piper Link[/link]

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ken
Old 08-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Castle Creations Pixie-20P How to wire up...switch, fuse?

Out of the 8 or 9 eflyers I've seen, no one has a switch to turn things on or off. I've always considered it extra weight and something else to possibly go wrong. Plugging in the battery is what turns the plane on and off.

On all futaba compatible servos I've seen to date (Waypoint, Blue Bird, Hitec, Futaba), the negative wire is black, this is the (-). The signal wire has been a variety of colors, white, usually, but orange or yellow too. Positive (+) wire is in the middle. So as long as you line up the black wires, you should be fine.

The fuse goes between the SC and the motor, I don't think it matters which wire. It doesn't seem like too many people actually use them though.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

There is no switch for a reason. This way you are forced to disconnect the main battery rather than just shutting off power to the receiver.

Yes, all that little switch did was cut power to the receiver! The ESC is still powered, and it will suck your battery dry if you leave it long enough. Also, there's the chance that something could short out and cause the motor to go to full throttle while the plane is just sitting there. Not good for casual bystanders if you know what I mean.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:50 PM
kctrading

ORIGINAL: Time Pilot

Out of the 8 or 9 eflyers I've seen, no one has a switch to turn things on or off. I've always considered it extra weight and something else to possibly go wrong. Plugging in the battery is what turns the plane on and off.

On all futaba compatible servos I've seen to date (Waypoint, Blue Bird, Hitec, Futaba), the negative wire is black, this is the (-). The signal wire has been a variety of colors, white, usually, but orange or yellow too. Positive (+) wire is in the middle. So as long as you line up the black wires, you should be fine.

The fuse goes between the SC and the motor, I don't think it matters which wire. It doesn't seem like too many people actually use them though.

Sounds like a good idea to leave any kind of switch and fuse out of the system then

Stopped by the hobby shop today...guy said to make sure all the lite colored wires go toward the RX crystal side... ground side on the outside away....this would make the three wire plugs have the three slots in the plug facing up...sound right?

Ken
Old 08-02-2005, 07:11 PM
kctrading

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

There is no switch for a reason. This way you are forced to disconnect the main battery rather than just shutting off power to the receiver.

Yes, all that little switch did was cut power to the receiver! The ESC is still powered, and it will suck your battery dry if you leave it long enough. Also, there's the chance that something could short out and cause the motor to go to full throttle while the plane is just sitting there. Not good for casual bystanders if you know what I mean.
Good point...thanks!

Ken
Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 PM
kctrading

Found more info on the web...plus info I got at the hobby store.

Looking at the Futaba receiver three prong connectors/terminals...this also puts the open slots in the three prong connectors facing up.

Outside pin - Negative
Center pin - Positive
Inside pin - Signal

Common colors and configurations for servo wires are:

Negative - Black or Brown
Positive - Red and always in the middle for JR/Futaba/Hitec

Signal - White or Yellow or Orange

Ken