Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

FAO: CEN RACING. Centre diff for FunFactor?

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

FAO: CEN RACING. Centre diff for FunFactor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 PM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAO: CEN RACING. Centre diff for FunFactor?

right, i finally tried it out. it goes forwards, not backwards, which is a good start, and it does it pretty quick too! the front wheels are spinning on the way out of the turns and under hard acceleration, so i will have to seal & fill the centre diff if im going to keep this setup, may as well do the front and rear too i guess, see how it goes... other than that, it handles pretty well, could do with stiffer springs n oil for road use, but i wanted it for roughish gravel too, so its a compromise. top speed... dunno... its an 18t on a 47t spur and the os 18 cvr-x, but it seems to be a little bit over 30mph, going by the passing traffic.

one biggish problem tho - the diff catches the fly wheel whenever it gets the chance, and cuts the engine... doh, thought it might. its due to the chassis flex and less than 1mm of clearance - easy cured tho.

quite pleased it held together for a couple of tanks! ill sort the flywheel at work next week, and work from there... just gotta get the jt chassis fitted with a centre diff now to control that stupid engine that some idiot fitted... spam and more to follow no doubt

oh and many thanks to whichever one of the genesis owners who gave me the idea of a torque multiplier for the brakes (it also means i get a tidy linkage!) the brakes on this are, shal we say, very excessively harsh..? lol - i will look at that too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49235.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	395831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49938.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	395832  
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 AM
poor judgement

another thread that u thought had gone away...

finally sorted this car out. now running a genesis 21t pinion on the 47t spur, it goes like buggery! very quick off the mark and top end must be getting on for 40mph, maybe more, so not bad for a single speed. very limited in gearing options tho, but it actually works! that in itself is pretty bloody amazing - i thought it was gonna be a right waste of time, but it handles much better than it did without the centre diff, so mission accomplished! might seal the diffs... but might not too...

just thought id let u know... oh and grab some more "craigb thread defence points" to calm my insecurities.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures would help with your insecurities also.

rolland
Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
poor judgement

ah - of course... think ive spammed em all before tho...

what u up to anyway rolland? any projects lurking at ur place? shafts ok? cmon man - u need a thread or 2 of ur own u know, instead of hijacking mine.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 PM
rolland

So you are using 2 brake seats and a stock CEN diff? I wasn't sure if that was the final decision. It has been the better part of 5 months since your last update.

I just picked up a rally roller and am thinking about some form of dual sport type truck. Which is why I am trying to get Dr Honda to make me a custom chassis and why I am interested in the center diff.

As far as a thread of my own it will be awhile untill I figure out exactly what I am going to do and get the parts that I need.

I would like to call it contributing instead of hi-jacking, it makes me feel better.

rolland
Old 06-08-2006, 12:11 PM
poor judgement

5 months? man, ive been working too hard.

but yes, its all as per the last set of pics, but i swapped the pinion for a genny 21 tooth. its running on hpis 2.2" slick tyres and wheels - theyre rubbish. needs foams i reckon. could do with a new shell too unless the foams will fill out the arches of my escudo shell - the slicks look really silly on it.

i offered up the .28 out of interest, and it just wont fit with a 21t pinion due to its extra height over the os .18 - the pinion ends up further round, or higher if u like, on the spur. i expect it would kill the spur and diff too tbh, i still wouldnt mind trying a 1/8 centre diff in the jt chassis tho.
im just converting the jt over to a single speed as and when i can be bothered to fiddle with it, using the genny 43t pinion and an optional alloy hub i picked up a while ago, might be from a tr4 or maybe an early ct4 - no idea really, but it works.
if the gearing etc all works out, then ill look again at the 1/8 centre diff, either on the jt or an ARO chassis, depends on when it happens i guess.

im presuming u would go with a 1/8 diff too? or are u just waiting for this here crash-test dummy to try it first?

distractional contributions - a compromise perhaps? then we can both do away with the comfort blankets.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PJ, what dimensions are you looking at for the 1:8 diff? As far as i know, the smallest diffs in the 1:8 world belong to the GS CL-1 buggy. Might be worth starting your search there.
By the way, that little centre diff FF is the coolest thing!!! Nice work mate.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 PM
poor judgement

no real idea on dimensions tbh. but ill make it fit! i was going to go for an ofna complete brake and diff setup - as advised by rolland. sounds sensible enough.

thing is tho, i need a smallish spur - max of 45-46t i reckon. otherwise i might have to chop into the chassis. sure i could raise the diff, but theres a limit yknow. not sure if these spurs are available for the ofna diffs, been a while since i looked into it

cheers mate, shouldve been done and dusted ages ago, damn those 1:1s...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Scouser

That spur gear is normal for a buggy. Anything larger is used for truggies. Here is a thought though. If you raised the centre diff to fit a larger spur, it would mean that the .28 was no longer too high to get a decent mesh. My SUT uses two centre diff spacers to get the right clearance for the 54t spur. Imagine the speed that thing would do!!! Jeez its scary just thinking about it.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 PM
poor judgement

lol - it would be a lot slower with a 54t mate, step away from the fridge and put that stella down!

good point about the mesh tho - forgot about that. so a 45 or 46t is pretty standard? too lazy to search right now! i might still have some buggy manuals on my hd... somewhere... ill have a rummage.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Scouser

Ahh yes it would. I am afraid my mathematical brain cells went to sleep quite a while ago!! Shouldn't have any problems with the spur gear though. Normal buggy spurs are between 42t up to 48t. Happy days!!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:04 PM
craigb

oh and grab some more !QUOT!craigb thread defense points!QUOT! to calm my insecurities
OH crap!

how about a OS FS .52... in fact don't! i want to be the only one with a fourstroke cen!, and my .26 mt is no match to a great thumping .52 center diff armed cen []
Old 06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
poor judgement

i want to be the only one with a fourstroke cen
oh dear - havent u seen the genesis thumper?

ah well at least u got the only "known" funfactor thumper mate... for now at least. still, it aint got a centre diff has it? ha. now that would make it one of a kind for sure. maybe a jt racing chassis would make u stand out more? or perhaps tmaxx wheels - or hey ill tell u what - get a combination of all those bits and ur laughing!

apols for the cockiness - just got a 20% pay rise!! woohoo - look out ebay!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
craigb

oops! i did mean to say funfactor.[:@]

I dont know about the maxx wheels I have not felt the need for larger wheels and want to keep it as reliable as possible(no broken drives). wouldnt mind a nice chassis though, im gonna wait and get a ARO chassis i recon [8D]
Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 PM
rolland

It might be possible to modify a stock spur or a flat spur of another manufacturer to work on an Ofna center diff. I havent really looked at one, but it shouldn't be that hard

This project is going to take awhile because there are still things I would like to try with the MT2 before I start on another project and there are the brake/suspension upgrade parts that I need to pick up for the project.
After Dr Honda finishes the chassis we should see if he can make more resonably priced brake seats. I know that they are cheaper here for me than they are for the UK people but I belive that there really isn't enough to them to warrant they price they ask for them.

I am not exactly sure how I am going to do the center diff. I really am leaning towards a buggy center diff setup mainly for ease of installation, but I might pick up a sealed diff out of a truck or buggy and modify some brake seats like you did.

To many projects, to many ideas, and not enough time.

rolland
Old 06-10-2006, 05:09 AM
poor judgement

To many projects, to many ideas, and not enough time.
whatever do u mean? lol, nail...head...hit?

id go for a sealed diff rolland. the cen one im using isnt sealed, and is unloading to the fronts a bit, its better now ive used the 21t gen pinion, but not perfect and offroad will be worse, im sure. nevermind a bigger motor than the .18.

i could seal the holes like i did on my front diff, but im using a fair bit of 1:1 wheel bearing grease in that, so an absolutely perfect seal isnt really neccessary (sp, hate that word) like it would be for silicon fluid. the extra grease sure helps the front keep it together, but i am thinking that putting the rear antiroll bar i made up back on will help even more with a bit of luck for onroad stuff, but offroad, well heavyish offroad use, isnt ideal for anti roll bar use of course.

too many ideas... aye... and i am still big blockless! will have to do something about that...