Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

new os cvr .18

Old 05-27-2005, 07:10 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new os cvr .18

just finished the break in of my new os .18 cvr engine... break in started on 2nd pull and idled thru first tank,never stalled once... broke in 10 tanks slowly and now this sucker rocks... Thanks poor judgement for telling me about this one... i still have the mt2 engine and was going to compare the two, but I won't bother.. The O.S. is much stronger... the throttle response is instant and the low end torque is brutal... If I don't loose traction, It will pull the front tires off the ground... I have to be careful because I was running in a smaller area, have to get to the track to really open it up... I'm still on the rich side and temps are hovering around 200F... can't wait to lean it out a bit... see how many dog bones I break... I figure when I get it right... 50 mph should be expected... The best thing about this swap was that it was direct fit drop in.. nothing to modify except the lenght of the header bolts.... I will post pics when I get a chance.... The best comment about the new engine came from my son who runs the truck all the time.... Dad, this thing scares me... its too fast....
Old 05-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: new os cvr .18

When I cut down the header bolts I left the outside one full length and fitted an m3 locking nut on there. It gives you that peace of mind in case your thread lock gives out and the bolts start to loosen. Also it looks pretty cool if you get the same colour nut as the cooling head!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:29 AM
cenracer1

maybe i'll try that after i sort out the cvd's again.... snapped the front ones again.. 2nd time ina week... this is getting old fast... swapped out the cvd for rear cups and ran in 2wd... trucks acceleration is brutal.. wants to lift the fronts all the time now... runs great until the tires balloon out and starts to fishtail... the rest of the story gets ugly.... have to be well into the 50's by now..... temps only around 230-240 after 5 minutes of WOT... love the engine...
Old 05-30-2005, 06:05 PM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-30-2005, 09:11 PM
cenracer1

man, how did you get my photo there..... thats exactly what I look like when I drive the truck with the new engine.... Its almost like a different truck until i try to turn and it flips.... got to remember to lower the suspension...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:43 AM
poor judgement

have u been out to play with the touring car boys yet? oh so much fun they are, how they loved to be passed by something on the grass...

i got new competition here tho... a guy across the road has a lst, being fixed at the shop again, but at least i finally have someone to race on the beach. oh, and he swore when he saw mine go down the road, people do that a lot, so i may well kick his ass on the sand...

what fuel and silencer are u running cenracer? i started with 10% and the cen pipe - going to 25% and an os pipe has made more power than i expected...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
cenracer1

believe it or not I'm running the stock pipe and manifold.... I do run 20% wildcat fuel... I may change the pipe to O.S. but I have so much speed as it is, I don't really need any more... I run my truck against my others and many other fast ones... Including the Genesis.. Its faster than all of them and not too far off some faster touring cars... running against touring cars is a challenge because I can't run well on asphalt and they can't run in the dirt...
I always have competition mainly because I challenge everyone whether I can win or not... Its more fun that way...
Old 06-07-2005, 11:47 PM
cougartech67

Can anyone help me? I need a little info because I must be confused. I just purchased a brand new OS .18 CV-RX engine for my CEN MT2 to replace the factory NT-16 engine. I heard it was the perfect engine upgrade. Well, it bolts right in, no problem there. I managed to cut the header bolts as well, so they are both flush with the exhaust header. My problem is with the flywheel. Am I supposed to use the flywheel from my NT-16? or purchase on specifically designed for the OS 18? Do I need a clutch adapter as well? I pulled the flywheel from my original NT-16 engine and it seemed to slip on the OS .18. The NT-16 has a longer threaded clutch shaft for the nut. The OS 18 seems to have a much shorted threaded part of the clutch shaft. I would even be glad to purchase a better aftermarket clutch kit for my OS 18, , , but, I just need to know whats the right parts to get. I have heard great things about those robinson racing clutch kits, complete with aluminum shoes, 3poles on the flywheel, sounds great. I am just confused, do I need to buy one as a CEN MT2? or as a OS 18... Thanks in advance to all....
Old 06-08-2005, 01:16 AM
poor judgement

u should be able to use the whole cen assembly on the os engine - i have on mine. i think cenracer has on his too...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:37 AM
cougartech67

ok thanks. I will try the flywheel again. I noticed that the NT-16 flywheel fit snug threaded all the way to the clutch hub. On the OS 18, when I installed the NT flywheel, it was loosely spinning after getting beyond the short threads of the clutch shaft on the OS engine. Was this the same for you? So your saying, that I should always be using the flywheel, clutch, springs, clutch bell, etc. for the model of vehicle that I have. So its based on the vehicle, not the engine. Right? Thanks, I probably did not spend enough time checking out how the flywheel from the NT-16 fit. Just quickly assumed it was wrong because it did not fit the same at first view. So if I decide to use a better 3pole clutch with aluminum shoes, I can go ahead and order one, as if it was for the CEN MT2. Right? I saw lots of good hopups for the CEN MT2 on the www.neweramodels.com website. They have a good selection there. Hey, thanks for the reply back. This is my first time to change engine types on the MT2's. One of my MT2's has the Epic .18 engine, but, I bought it that way from a friend of mine. I wanted to try the OS 18 because I have heard its easier to tune and a little faster than the Epic. Thanks to all. I will give a detailed post, comparing all 3 engines for the MT2, after I properly setup and break-in the OS 18. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:12 AM
cenracer1

I thought the same thing at first, then I put it together anyway and it was a perfect fit.. no mods at all except the exhaust bolt and the linkages.... stock clutch works well, can upgrade to aluminum but car has enough snap for me... it blows tires loose as it is ... enjoy... its like driving a new truck...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 PM
cougartech67

Hi CenRacer. Thanks. I will keep the NT-16 flywheel and clutch stuff. I will re-install it tonight. Thanks for the info. [8D]
Old 06-08-2005, 03:18 PM
freddmiller

from all these fanatstic reviews i would deffinatly like to invest in the os .18 cvr. does anyone know of a dealer in the uk cause i can't seem to find one on the net?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 PM
cougartech67

Thanks CenRacer. Yep, you were right. The OS .18 uses the factory NT-16 engine's flywheel and clutch set. I fired up the OS using the pull starter and it ran on the first try. I had it idleing for a few minutes. It ran perfectly. I just changed the pull starter to a tiger drive adapter, my personal preference. One quick press from my 12volt drill and the OS runs again. Thanks again for recommending this engine. It looks great. I love the large heatsink on the OS. I wish that CEN offered a larger heatsink for the factory NT-16 installed engine. Now its time to properly break in the OS engine. Im looking forward to this weekend to see what this baby can really do..
Old 06-08-2005, 09:03 PM
cougartech67

Hi Everyone. Here are the pictures of my MT2. Just installed the OS .18 Engine today. Fits perfectly. Thanks again to CenRacer, all I needed was the factory CEN NT-16 flywheel and clutch set. Everything fits great and the OS engine fired up on the first try. I love it when that happens. You can see the tiger drive adapter attached to the OS engine in the photos. My personal preference. I cant wait to run my MT2 on the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81478.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	282453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49884.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	282454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66008.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	282455  
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Scouser

That is a great looking truck there. It may be advisable to pick up a New Era roll cage at some point though. That motor is going to stress the chassis considerably more than the NT16 and the roll cage stiffens up the chassis. It will also keep that cooling head scrape free.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
poor judgement

lookin good - hope u fitted a failsafe! the truck takes some stopping with that 18 in there. we await another rave review from a newly foolishly grinning os18cvr owner!

like scouser says - its well worth some reinforcement in there, have a look around on the forum if u cant get the roll bar, there are some very easy and dirt cheap solutions. none that i remember will protect that shiny blue head tho...

btw - it starts that easily u shouldnt need the rotostart thingy, but hey, each to their own! enjoy!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:15 PM
cougartech67

Thanks Guys. I did purchase one of those New Era Moly roll bar's yesterday. Ya gotta protect the investments. I will get a fail-safe on it as well. Can you recommend a good fail safe unit? Maybe from Venom? I have tried a couple of the OFNA one's, but, had nothing but problems with them, both times. Luckily I got a refund on them and bought the Venom fail safe. Any other good fail-safe units out there? I would like to try another brand, other than Venom for comparison. After this OS 18 is broken in, I will try to do a good comparison with my MTs. I have 3 vehicles. One has the NT-16 engine, one has the Epic 18, and my new favorite has the OS engine. I will see if I can get my camcorder out and have my son help me run a few vehicles at the same time and make a video clip. That would be really cool.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:02 PM
poor judgement

i am using the gws fs-1. it hasnt let me down at all, thank god...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Scouser

That video would be most interesting. My NT16 has just wheezed its last rev so I have put the OS15cvr back in there. I am looking for a new small block for the stock chassis but was toying with the idea of a Nova Rossi .15. I can hear my credit card cry every time I go to the Rossi site!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 PM
cougartech67

What syptoms are common when an engine is about to go bad? Other than If its over revvvvved and it blows chunks. Other than blowing my S25 engine on my Savage, ( cause the rear roto-start bolts came loose and the spring/pin got out ), I have not yet replaced a engine from dying. My NT-16 probably has about 25 tanks of gasoline ran through it, 18 tanks on the Epic. Should I be looking for a certain puttering noise from the exhaust? or a significant loss of power? Are the engine dying signs suttle or obvious? I would like to know the signs to look for when its time to change out my NT-16 or Epic. I plan to run them with those engines until they die. Im not really hard on my motors so It seems like I have had them forever. My only blown engine was the Savage. I quickly learned as a newbie then to pay close attention to certain bolts and nuts, and my best friend, lock-tight, helps me keep my engine bolts secure. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:54 PM
poor judgement

poor starting and running, with a noticeable lack of compression are the obvious signs of a dead/dying motor. keeping it running just a little on the rich side will make it last a little longer.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:27 PM
cougartech67

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a dying engine could be mistaken for a poor tuned engine, if a person bought the RC truck from someone else, and did not know how many tanks were ran through the engine before. What would you say is the average number of tanks of fuel, that most engines would run in their life time before they die? Does anyone know? Say for example, 50 tanks? 75 tanks, or even a 100. I know there are many factors to be considered, the engine, how the owner ran the engine, etc.... But still, I would curious to know how many of tanks of fuel, could be expected, so that I could plan ahead when my engine might be starting to go... Yep, this is a pathetic topic of discussion, I know. ...
Old 06-10-2005, 12:06 PM
cenracer1

cougartech.... you welcome but really thank poor judggement.. he told me about the engine in the first place.. i am running into a little problem with my truck since I put in the os 18.. I have now broken my 3rd front cvd drive pin... It seems to sheer off during high speed runs, not during bashing... Its easy to fix however and I'd rather have this break than the shaft... other than that, the truck is scary... I was bashing behind my townhouse yestersay in the 95 degree heat and the truck was pulling wheelies in the grass at will.. it was even pulling them rolling forward, crack the throttle and the fronts went skyward.. got to love the motor... and as usual, starts on the first pull... Need to get some video....
Old 06-10-2005, 12:52 PM
cougartech67

Hey, Big Thanks to Poor Judgement, for recommending the OS .18 Engine. This engine rocks. I have only a 3 tanks ran through the engine. Still gonna run a few more practice tanks through it before I start to play with the acceleration more. Its hard, cause this engine wants to run out and play, but, I will stay with the plan and break in the engine properly. Thanks again you guys for all the great support. Yep, Im planning to record some good video of the MT2's running different engines. Hopefully, DHL will deliver my New Era roll bar on Saturday, so I can run this OS on the weekend. I dont wanna run it hard until I get the roll bar first. Would hate to flip over and destroy the fresh blue paint on the cooling head, ha, ha []

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.