Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Bulletproofing FunFactor

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
azzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bulletproofing FunFactor

ORIGINAL: Spentona

If I make these cases… I really will need to buy a funfactor. I’ll have too may cool parts not to own one.

Dr H, have you got a list of what parts you make for the funfactor or a website or something?
Spentona if your gonna quote someone then either go to thier post and hit the quote button or use highlight the words and hit the quote button above (next to all the other buttons, BOLD, italics underline, etc

Just a tip mate...

Oh and those top plates arent that thick so look a bit beefier than they actually are. And the only problem with that design is its a pain to remove the steering servo.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Spentona

Dr H, have you got a list of what parts you make for the funfactor or a website or something?

Nope. I never got around to putting up a web site. I did buy a domain though. (www.aroproducts.com) Right now, my stuff is just word of mouth. PM me if you are interested in knowing prices.

Azzman...

When did you make up the top plates? Did you make them by hand, or did you have them made? And, doesn't it feel good to see pictures of your work posted by others?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:54 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Those chassis plates RULE! Before i had them I was constantly beding the chassis and center shaft off big air (and when I hit stuff). They aren't very thick but that seems to be all the supposrt that hte FF needs.
I still can't finda JT chassis to buy...

And Dr. Honda, Somone was asking about getting some ARO products on the www.customrccars.com forums. They have a CEN only forum.
You may want to check it out there for some potential sales[sm=greedy.gif]
Old 04-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Dr Honda

Dustin...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:39 PM
azzman

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Azzman...

When did you make up the top plates? Did you make them by hand, or did you have them made? And, doesn't it feel good to see pictures of your work posted by others?
Tony, I made up the chassis plates last year when I was bashing the cen hard, before I got the Savage! Just made em by hand, hacksaw and a dremmel, also experimented with shock towers. I also made up a rollbar which was really good protection and also made the wheelie bar cause the body, bodymounts and shock tower were taking a hammering from bad landings!
Its great to see someone else getting use out of my stuff...[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40420.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	438370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64121.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	438371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93607.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	438372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64583.jpg
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	438373   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99473.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	438374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx29902.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	438375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74770.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	438376  
Old 04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
poor judgement

bet u still broke it!

if u needed that much reinforcement for ur antics, man, u must have gone thru loads of driveshafts...

how u likin the shocks? any good?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
azzman

Those are OLD photos mate! Doesnt even resemble that any more, didnt really get into the shocks, the springs are a bit soft and never got any stiffer ones.
Didnt really go through that many driveshafts tho until I really went CRAZY on the jumps, the good thing about the stock tyres is that they absorb a lot of impact without it transfering. But you should see what that rollbar looked like when I took it out of commission! TIP landing on roof doesnt hurt driveshafts!! [&:]
Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 PM
BootMachine

Nice work...

I can draw up a top plate easy...if someone wants to draw one out with dimensions I can throw it in CAD in a few mins...Otherwise you guys are gonna wait a while for me to sit down and measure everything.

Good news regarding the diff cases. I have almost finished the drawings for the rear. I have SOOO many hours into these its not even funny. I really want to see them built.

Please keep in mind that I'm not finished yet though....still a few features I need to draw, then a final check of my dimensions, then the OK by you guys...then its Dr.Honda's turn.

Check out my work so far and post any comments / suggestions!

Tnkx

LA

Name:	Wt58917.jpg
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	438504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34022.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	438505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82816.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	438506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24770.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	438507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39805.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	438508  
Old 04-03-2006, 09:11 PM
BootMachine

OH...and one more question.

I was thinking of getting one of those super roll cages from RC solutions...I was wondering if I grab one, will the ARO shocktowers and OS engine clear everything?

Let me know please!

Tnkx

LA
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
dustin7837

Judging from the pics, There is definately engine clearance, and Im sure that you would be able to fit it on ARO towers. Only thing That I can't really see is how it mounts in the middle. It might be harder with the bigger ofna tank if you have it. I know that New era's roll bar is useless if you put in the ofna tank.

Maybe email them and ask for more pics or something.

I've been looking at those for a while, they look so trick!![sm=bananahead.gif]

But, Since my own rollbar is pretty much indestructable and cost me like 5$, I can't justify buying one yet
Old 04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
poor judgement

nice work bootmachine - what software are u using?

trust me, i know how it feels doing stuff like that - ive had the dubious pleasure of drafting/modelling in autocad for several years before i got sick of it and changed "careers". it can do ur head right in!

ill try and get some measurements for u from both the jt and stock top plates tonight, although its only the jt one that i am interested in personally.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Dr Honda

Bootmachine...

The cases look great!! I'll start on the CAM as soon as I get the files from you.

To all...

Chassis pans are easy. I've made a bunch for my T-Maxx projects. And since there is only one bend in a FF chassis... I can make a quick jig for that. The top plate wont be too hard... but I would really need a truck in front of me to do it correctly. (I guess I need to go hit eBay)
Old 04-04-2006, 03:47 PM
azzman

Theres a CEN Talon on there at the mo for a good price (talon same just dune buggy style with smaller wheels) [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/CEN-RACING-TALON-NX-NITRO-BUGGY-TRAXXAS-HPI_W0QQitemZ6048414318QQcategoryZ44029QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem]HERE[/link]

Second hand theres a BETTER deal [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Cen-Fun-Factor-ATX-1-10th-Scale-Buggy_W0QQitemZ6048105449QQcategoryZ19168QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]HERE[/link]
This one only has 5 hours!
Old 04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Dr Honda

Yup... I'm on the second one.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:35 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course, if you get the ATX, you just might have to produce a special version of your custom shock tower that will fit the front of the ATX.

It's the same mount, just has the middle of it cut out so the body can fit down below the top of the shock tower. And of course, you would just have to sell one to any of us with the ATX...
Old 04-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Dr Honda

Bootmachine...

How are the CAD files coming??
Old 04-11-2006, 12:09 PM
BootMachine

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have not worked on the drawings in about a week. I'm really busy at school with final exams and stuff!

I have some BIG final projects that need doin' so I wont be able to work on the diff cases for another 3 weeks or so.

The rear is finished...everything except the mounting holes.

Dr.Honda...can you finish it with your CAD tool?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: BootMachine

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have not worked on the drawings in about a week. I'm really busy at school with final exams and stuff!

I have some BIG final projects that need doin' so I wont be able to work on the diff cases for another 3 weeks or so.

The rear is finished...everything except the mounting holes.

Dr.Honda...can you finish it with your CAD tool?

I can try. I have a front diff case that I can get the mounting points from. email the CAD file to me.

Thanks for your hard work.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:45 PM
BootMachine

If you dont have the rear diff you wont be able to do it...

They are completly different!

I'm gonna pull a few all nighters at the end of this week to get ahead of everything....I will try and fit the diff cases in there somewhere.

Just gotta lay out all the holes, then I'm done. I already did the final measurements...I will post comments on them later.

Just so everyone knows...

I'm drawing the holes using M3x.5 threads. That way we can use the same screws the engine mounts with...
Old 04-17-2006, 10:06 PM
BootMachine

UPDATE:

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I was working on the rear diff case a little more...and its even closer to being finished. Just a few hours of drawing and measuring left.

The bad news...when I was checking some measurements...I found a mistake...a big mistake.

The measurement from where the bearing seats to the very center of the small bevel gear is not the same on each side. I for some reason stupidly assumed they were. Not so...one is like 16mm and the other is 19mm.

Now I gotta figure out how to fix this mess...

Its the measuring that takes forever...Once I get the rear diff case to work I can draw the front a LOT faster...I need a 3D laser scanner...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:22 AM
BootMachine

All done!!!

Name:	Us53171.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	449251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15405.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	449252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33475.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	449253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80149.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	449254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34189.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	449255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du20768.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	449256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qt30595.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	449257  
Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 AM
poor judgement

i had a bit of time to kill today, so ive quickly drawn up the jt chassis, incl front top plate and brake top plate pieces.

if they are any good to anyone, give me ur email and ill send em across. did them in autocad, so .dwg format is best, exporting them into another format tends to break the drawings up.

i also included 3 holes that i have added myself on my jt chassis for different throttle servo mounting and an alternative fuel tank screw hole. see later pics in "28 in a funfactor" thread to see how its gone together.

Bootmachine - would it be possible for you to add a couple of mounting points as per this pic?

right inbetween the existing 2 screw holes is the spot, with a suitable boss around them just like the other 2.

Name:	Lj21986.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	449402  
Old 04-22-2006, 01:19 PM
dustin7837

Bootmachine NICE WORK.
If you were closer, I'd give you a cookie

One Question though, I don't have my truck in front of me, but isnt there a little round "peg" that sticks out to help keep the case togerther/support the A arms?
As per picture.

Might be more trouble than it's worth, or maybe unnecessary with an alum case.

Name:	Sq46958.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	449447  
Old 04-22-2006, 03:02 PM
BootMachine

Ok guys,

First - the extra mounting hole...I thought I had added it (as you can see there are three) but now that you mention it...the top hole is useless because the control arm is in the way...I will fix it.

Second - The peg in the center....the top triangle piece with the four holes and the peg in the center....is a little funky on my drawing. I think I did an extrusion wrong somewhere. You can see the four screw holes are not exactly centered. The four screw holes are based on the holes for the control arm pins, all measured from Dr.Honda's shock towers. Since I did my drawing a little bit weird, the peg in the center ends up 1/2 way off the piece. So I just took it off instead of re-drawing the piece. I doubt you will be able to shear though the Four 3mm screws that hold the shock tower on. I'm pretty sure the shock towers will be in the same position though...I took about 50 measurements from Dr.Honda's shock towers. If you guys want me to re-draw this let me know...but it will take some time.

Last - On the back of the diff case, I noticed I missed two holes and another peg...I will add these later. I just overlooked them by accident. It was 3:00AM when I finished this first version of the drawing last night.

At least the hard parts are done...I suspect we will go through several versions of this drawing before Dr. Honda can actually start making parts.

OH...one last thing...you will need a bag of shims with these cases. Taking the internal measurements was next to impossible and I had to use gauge pins and shims and so on....I figured there would be some degree of error in the measurements and it would be better for things to be loose rather than too tight.

I will post new versions of the drawings in a few days!
Old 04-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Dr Honda

Bootmachine...

Looks great... send the file to me once you’re happy with it, and Ill work my magic from there.

PoorJudgment...

Sent you a PM on the chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.