Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

TMaxx shafts on FunFactor - complete guide!!

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

TMaxx shafts on FunFactor - complete guide!!

Old 06-03-2006, 07:47 AM
azzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMaxx shafts on FunFactor - complete guide!!

OK for those that are sick of broken axles, cvd's and dogbones on the (not so) Fun (when it breaks all the time) Factor. This is the post for you...a step by step guide on modding your truck with TMaxx drive shafts and hubs which will make your axles so tough and allow you to run MAX size wheels to boot!

If you do not fall into the above category but just feel like modding the FU#K out of your truck (hey maybe you want to stick a BB in it!) then also take note...

This is a killer setup, although I havent had a chance to give it death yet, PoorJudgement has had the setup for ages in his .28 powered funfactor and loves it.

The cool thing about the TMaxx shafts is that they are modular and they break right down to individual pieces which can be interchanged.

Below is a list of parts you will need, part numbers are from TowerHobbies.

Just letting you know that I purchased my parts on EBAY and got a better deal, especially because there are complete stes of hubs/axle carriers that come with pivot ball and (mine did anyway) bearings.

Also remember that you will now have to get Maxx sized wheels as the axles are too fat for standard wheels. The tyres I have used are Panther Komodos on RPM stablemaxx rims (you need a rim with wider offset)

Parts:

Traxxas half shaft long tmaxx LXSP55 (two sets needed)

Traxxas stub axle tmaxx LXDDS9 (two sets needed)

Traxxas axle carriers/steering blocks LXSP30 (two sets needed)

Traxxas wheel hub/pins LXSP59 (two sets needed)

Traxxas aluminum caps pivot balls tmaxx LXSP33 (two sets needed)

Traxxas pivot balls/bushings tmaxx LXSP31 (two sets needed)

Bearings 6x12x4 8 needed or 4 sets of LXSP10 if purchasing from tower

Plus 4 original CEN FF cvds or 2 cvds and 2 dogbones (with modded diff cups if useing dogbones at rear!!!)

Firstly I will explain how to build the setup for the front, which I have used on the front and the rear because I had 4 CVD's to CUT UP

1: OKAY time to hack those sh*#ty CVD's to bits, start by grinding down the axle (dremmel and file etc) so it resembles the diff cup where it goes into the diff, basicall speaking it needs some "flats" on it and the threaded part removed. (see pic 1) Keep trying it in the diff now and then, filing more off till it fits snug and doesnt bind going in and out.

TIP: Use the thread on the axle to hold it in the vice while taking off the bulk of the material before trimming the thread off completely.

2: Next cut down the CVD so overall length is 78mm approx.

3: Cut down MALE part of TMaxx axle so it is approx 40mm long.

4: Slide it onto the old CVD so 7 to 8mm of the CVD shaft is sticking out the end (you may have to run a drill through the middle of the plastic TMaxx shaft first)

5: Carefully drill a hole somewher around the middle of the two shafts and slide in a CEN axle pin to lock them together.

6: Find a spring (pens are good donors) that will fit snugly over the end of the shaft. Hey presto, one half of the shaft done!!

7: Cut down the Female TMaxx shaft to 108mm overall length

8: De-burr edges and put together to form one complete axle, make sure it slides freely.

Right then, the Dogbone version relies on the the standard diff cup being used instead of the CVD in the diff so it must be modded by way of the "diff cup mod" to ensure it wont break later.

OKAY to make the dogbone version of the axle you use a Male TMaxx axle instead of using a Female, and cut it to the same length as before (108mm overall)

Cut down a CEN Dogbone shaft to 57mm approx overall length

Insert dogbone into the Male plastic TMaxx shaft (remember to run a drill up the centre if need be) then drill and pin as before to lock together.
Overall length should be approx 126mm

TIP: Before drilling hole for axle pin, check length by installing onto vehicle and compressing suspension fully. Doesnt need to be too critical because this can be adjusted by screwing pivot balls in and out just like in the normal dogbone setup. The CVD version eliminates this by way of the sliding shaft.

9: Shock mounts will now have to be modded to accomodate for the thicker shafts. Only a little on the rear, but more on the front due to for aft movement of the shaft due to steering.

My mounts have been moved outwards which really helps cut down on the amount the lower suspension arms flex whe suspension bottoms.

I also moved my rear control arms to the rear of the axle. But its up to you for that one, either way you will need some different length rods on the back. The front steering tie rods can be kept standard, just drill a hole in the TMaxx hub mount where needed.

Happy modding, feel free to ask questions....
Old 06-03-2006, 10:30 AM
poor judgement

Default RE: TMaxx shafts on FunFactor - complete guide!!

nice going mate!

did u look at doing the lower shock mounts with RC10 servo mounts? might work ok for u, i couldnt do "stretchy" shafts due to my big shocks getting in the way of the fatter part of the shaft - u might get away with it.

reason i mention it is my shock screws kept pulling out of the lower mounts - this cured it. cheap as chips from asiatees.com - but dont forget the imperial threaded screws to suit. (4-40 or something...)

hey - with some longer pillow balls mate... u could go ridiculously wide with that setup! (if u find or know of any longer pillow ball screws that will work - let me know - seriously!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28809.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	470987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18181.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	470988   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27606.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	470989  
Old 06-03-2006, 01:26 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

BEAUTY azzman !!!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
cenracer1

started my axle mods this morning before work..... so far i have all the cvd's ground down and test fited in the diff to make sure they fit.. I completed 1 axle so far in the hour that I had and it works great... haven't installed in the truck yet, but i can see it's going to work great... I have a customer that i sold a car to that ownes a machine shop that makes titanium screws... He looked at the cen cvd and says he can make them out of titanium very easily and promises me he wil do this... Before anyone gets excited, lets see what he does if anything... As these will be one offs for him, I cant see this being cheap.. He says around $20 for the pair... I'm thinking of just having him make the ends for me... I don't need the dogbone end because of the mod.... We will see... He said about a week or so for the schematic to be done... Anyways, I should have the rest of the drivetrain done by saturday evening and first flight will be sometime sunday.....
Old 06-16-2006, 04:51 PM
andrewtexas123

what engine r u running
Old 06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
cenracer1

os 18 cvrx.... anything else is just crazy.... sorry pj.. I know you love that 28.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:06 AM
azzman

I was gonna put in the OS 30, but I think PJ is buying it off me...
Old 06-17-2006, 01:55 PM
cenracer1

well... I fitted the first complete shaft this morning at 5:00am before I had to go to work... had to do a bit of shaving off the shock mount but otherwise fit well... I will probably do PJ rc10 holder due to the thinness of the mount... Very satisfied with it so far... I wish I did this a long time ago... must have wasted hundreds of dollars in cvd's, dogbones and diff cups... NEVEER AGAIN..[:@]
Old 06-17-2006, 02:21 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Just a question for you guys...

How strong are those maxx shafts? I mean, are they actually all plastic, or is there a steel shaft running inside?

I'm just wondering because right now I'm running the Swift 8mm steel shafts and they are fine wtih the OS in it. But I have an STS .28 on the way to try out.

Just wondering what would be stronger.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 04:23 PM
cenracer1

I can sort of answer that question... they are slightly flexible so they have a good bit of give to them.. I highly doubt you can actually break them, but they can bend... I tried an experiment with a bent one that I had and I straightened out with a lighter... worked great... The bent one I had was from a t-maxx that had a big block orion in it.. I think a 28.... just a slight twist was all the damage it had... possible due to the long length of the shafts... This mod shortens them considerably... I put the one shaft I finished in a vise and tried to twist it... didn't budge... Besides, PJ has his with this mod and a 28 and he said still running great.. His word is good enough for me..
Old 06-18-2006, 04:14 AM
poor judgement

cheers for that cenracer!

the swift shafts are stronger - theyre steel, arent they? but the tmaxx shafts are a lot cheaper thru ebay etc.

my rear tmaxx shafts took the worst of it, they stay twisted a fair bit after a gallon or so, but still work fine. i think its probably down to the flex and twist in the plastic shafts that has saved my diffs from breaking with the .28. adding the tmaxx outer shaft (where poss) and running the cen steel shaft as far as poss thru it will only help... azzmans setup is about as good as u will get with these shafts.

check my .28 in a funfactor thread for twisting shafts pics.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 AM
cenracer1

this is going to take a bit more fitting than I thought.. I'm still working on the right front shock mount... I don't have access to the rc10 servo mount so I have to modify the shock mount... I believe that I need longer shock ends... the eyes at the base of the shock so they will clear the new axle... I will work on it tonight or tomorrow... will let you know.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 PM
poor judgement

if u need any pics mate, gimme a shout. it was a right pain getting mine to work with the 1/8 buggy shocks - those alloy rc10 mounts are perfect for the job tho.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:44 PM
cenracer1

PJ... I was looking at your pics on this link and I see you cut your female shaft very short.. the male end is quite long.. mine, the female end hits the spring cup on the shock because the female tube is thicker.. If I can't sort it with my hack mods... I will buy some servo mounts off tower hobbies.. they are fairly cheap.... I'm pretty sure I can get it to work without interference buy using longer eyelets on the bottom of the shock... only needs to be about 2mm taller... It just hits on full lock turns...
Old 06-19-2006, 03:25 PM
poor judgement

ah - i didnt realise u were going for the telescopic/sliding setup mate...

im only using the male part with a small part of the female shaft to hold the pin, that secures the cen shaft, in place. i didnt go for the whole fancy telescoping setup due to having no chance of the female shafts clearing my shocks. i suppose i could have a slightly longer female piece, and have some telesoping/sliding shafts, but just the male section has held up well enough for me tbh, and it allows clearance of my shocks.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 PM
cenracer1

PJ... I will look at mine again tonight and I just might do the same thing as you... I would cut mine to just clear the shocks... I looked again at azzmans pics and I can't figure how his works... Even if I took enough off the mount, It wouldn't be strong enough for the shocks or at the very least, where do the screws for the shocks go.. they will surely hit the shaft, won't they?... The mod continues
Old 06-20-2006, 11:35 AM
poor judgement

The mod continues
aye - its been on the go for a while now... it all started on the Wildhobbies forum didnt it? aaah i can remember... (start dream sequence) when it was all fields round here, and rcu was in short trousers, and i used to have to save all my pocket money for bloody driveshafts...

have u looked at having a 2 piece male shaft, unequal lengths, with a shorter female section to avoid the shock mount issue? a spring inbetween the 2 male sections would keep them in place with a bit of luck, or just glue the female shaft to the part of the male shaft that would go in the diff?

hope that makes sense, its all packed away, or id get some pics of what i mean. theres only 3-5mm of movement in the shaft anyway, depending on shock length and positioning etc... but it would be nice to have posh stretchy shafts.

EDIT - check it out... lol

Name:	Xv64353.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	480297  
Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
cenracer1

found and easier solution at 5:00am this morning... I didn't have any longer shock ends so i made a little spacer out of some spare black plastic that I cut to fit... Put it in the bottom hole and used a longer hex screw and lock nut... works like a charm... turning is full lock to lock and nothing hits... the only negative is I lose a bit of shock adjustability with the bottom mount... I don't know why but I do my best thinking at 5:00am with a cup of coffee and the misses and the kids still asleep... At some time I will try and post some pics with the progress and also the new body in place... Thanks again to poor judgement and azzman for the help... by the way PJ... I like your drawing, but i already made all the axles and don't want to modify them again... looks like a good idea however and i probably would have done that if I wasn't this far into this design already...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:01 PM
poor judgement

I like your drawing
cheers - i forgot to put my age on it and get teacher to mark it.

lets have some pics then mate, i wanna see what uve got there.

ps - have u moved the mount up or forward to get clearance? (u are always mean with pics!)
Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
azzman

Hey PJ where did you get those slicks mate (pic), wouldnt get much grip on the sand... [:-]
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
cenracer1

I cut the top of the mount off and I'm using the bottom middle hole only....I'm going to stop by the local hobbytown and see if I can find something to use while I'm there.. I will try and take pics tonight.. I have to watch the 18month old for a bit tonight because the boss has to work late...... More to follow
Old 06-21-2006, 08:36 AM
cenracer1

finished the front.. I was allowed to work on the truck last night so I did as much as I could... I even took pictures..... I will post when I can.. Everything worked great after I removed some of the shock mount... The drivetrain spins pretty well... not as loose as the cens, but it should free up a bit more over time.. I think its the bearings that are causing this.... I will be finishing up the truck tonight when I get home... maybe another hours work left and I will run (abuse) it tomorrow on my day off... Just a note on the bearings.. I ordered some acer ceramic bearings which haven't come in yet... These are cheapo duratrax from tower, they seemed a bit tight during test fitting... I have to admit I like the new design alot.. much more beefy than the cen ever was.. especially where the steering link connects... I don't think upgrade to rpm or even aluminum traxxas ones will be neceessary.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:21 AM
poor judgement

nice one. give it hell mate - i bet u cant break em.

cmon... get them pics up!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:58 AM
cenracer1

I most certainly will... If these hold up, I may have to seriously think about selling some of my extra trucks... I will do the jump test tomorrow... a 3 foot ramp and about 20mph= hell for the original cen drivetrain... Once this is sorted out, I have a race against my sons traxxas Electric 4-tec.... We just put in an 8 turn motor... have no idea how fast it will go.. guessing somewhere between 40-50 mph... or it may just take off like an airplane... its already fast with the 13 turn so this should be fun..
Old 06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
cenracer1

well.. finally finished the truck and tested it... ran great.... loosened up a good deal after a few minutes of running around... I have to mess with the steering a bit, thought I had it straight, so high speed runs were out of the question.. did get to test the durability when i crashed into a pine tree at about 20 mph... the only damage was I knocked the muffler off when the tire was pushed back into it... As expected, the drive shafts and suspension held up without a scratch.... No as promised... some pictures of the truck suring assembly and after...... Hope you like...

Name:	Ca82078.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	481523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54205.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	481524   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45345.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	481525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81445.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	481526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51366.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	481527  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.