Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Cen GST 7.7 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cen GST 7.7 3rd gear

Well i have taken this tranny apart about 3 times now trying to figure out why i cant get 3rd gear to work. Everything is there and in order. I have adjusted and re-adjusted to the point that the screws were rubbing the clutch bell and turned them in 1/8th from there and still no 3rd gear. I tried leaning out the High speed needle got a temp of around 250 and still no 3rd. I went to Cenracing.com and found this [link=http://www.cenracing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72]cenracing.com[/link] So im gonna do this but first gonna try a set of the black springs in the 3rd gear clutch. I dont know why some people dont have any trouble at all and me and a few others just cant get it to work. I love this truck but i feel Cen needs to address this issue casue it seems to be a 50/50 shot with getting a GST that 3rd gear works in.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cen GST 7.7 3rd gear

RangerXlt72

Sometimes 2nd gear engages so quikly after take off you done hear it and you will only hear 3rd gear engage, but you should be able to lift the truck while running and throttle up and feel as well as hear the the 2 shifts(there is only 2 since it is in first when the clutch engages and 2nd is the first shift you hear/feel and 3rd is the sencond shift you will hear/feel)

I Hope This Helps

Have Fun!!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

RangerXlt72

Sometimes 2nd gear engages so quikly after take off you done hear it and you will only hear 3rd gear engage, but you should be able to lift the truck while running and throttle up and feel as well as hear the the 2 shifts(there is only 2 since it is in first when the clutch engages and 2nd is the first shift you hear/feel and 3rd is the sencond shift you will hear/feel)

I Hope This Helps

Have Fun!!

dogman is correct, reduce the 1-2 shift and you will hear and see the 2-3 shift. 1st reves up very fast so i have mine set low so i can wheelie more and climb some steep hills and rocks.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM

I held the truck up and slowly give it throttle and can only feel it shift once. I just finished that mod and its still not getting 3rd. I cant see anything wrong everything seems to be working but i know it not getting into 3rd gear 1 shift is all i hear i even turned the screws to adjust 3rd gear all the way in just to make sure that shift im hearing is second and it was still shifting to second. After the mod i started at 7 turns out and did the adjusting in 1/8th turn eash time till the screws were hitting the clutch bell again. Now im thinking i should not have done the mod casue if there is something wrong maybe i could have sent it in to be fixed i just got the truck saterday. There must have been some sort of warr... Oh well guess ill be buying a tranny off ebay to see if that solves the problem. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Also im noticng my pinion gears on the clutch bell for the motor are already half worn but the spur gears are fine anyone think it would be a good idea to use chain lube on these?? they seem to ware fast and i did set the mesh and all before running it and each time iv re assebled it must be from the center diff lock. But i think chain lube would be a nice help for this. I dont know i just feel there was something wrong with my tranny from the start.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Ranger, Is it the Small Pinion that is worn?? If So then check the Spur gear on the tranny. I was killing 17t pinions about every 6th tank of fuel. So I looked very carefullt at the setup(gear Meash Ect..) And noticed the spur gear the meshs with the smaller pinion was a bit out of round. When I finally got the screws that holds the spur gear on the oneway I found there is a bit of slop in the mating recess on the gear. I retighten it acouple times a check it. After about three attempts the spur gear seems to be round again(Centered On The Oneway). Now I dont go thru Pinions as fast..But with the torque and power this engine puts out you will wear out that pinion. The engine is so powerful that it tries to destroy the rest of the truck. CEn Has done a good job of Engineering out the week spots, but the pinions are still soft(A much needed improvement)

As Far as the Shifting goes Have you tried to lock down the Second Gear Clutch to see if it still shifts??? And does it launch hard or does it seem to bog or launch soft??(Second Gear Might Already Be Engaged or Engaging Before It Should And All you Feel And Hear Is Thrid)

Dont worry we'll get it sorted out.....

Have Fun!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Ill check the spur gear to make sure its straight. Yes i did lock down second and it dont shift just stays in first it has alot of power it will flip on its roof if i deck it. I emailed Cen to see if anything can be done there gotta be something wrong with it i have check everything and even did the 3rd gear mod and it just dont engage. To make certain of this i tightend the ball set screws to lock 3rd gear in so its always in 3rd gear and there is a huge difference in the top speed when i did it. it even still shifted from first to second. I hope they can do something for me if not ill just buy a tranny off ebay. I think doing the 3rd gear mod may have voided any warrentee i had on it even though the mod is on thier site lol. For now ill just lock 3rd out and run it with 1st and second. Thanks for all the help and ideas.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Oh and both the pinions are worn im gonna get a new one tomorrow and check the mesh and alighment.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 AM

My 17s were goin out every gallon on my GST then I shimmed under the spur gear brace and the new gear has lasted beyond three gallons... I use Sullivans dry ice lube to prolong the life of the gear as well and I couldnt be more happy with this truck it is a blast to drive
Old 01-05-2007, 07:13 PM

Notch,

As a Genesis LE owner I am very interested to read your last post. You said you shimmed the spurgear brace. I just wanted to know why you did this & how you figured you needed to do it in the first place. I only ask because I too use 17t pinions at a simmilar rate!
One thing I did notice was that, the worn pinion didn't have a consistant wear pattern. It is as if the pinion is out of round, worn more on 1 side of its circumference than the other (actual teeth wear). Or my Crank is bent!!

Either way I be will definately trying some teflon lube on this new gear that I am just fitting. (Even if I can't find the sullivans product here in Australia). Also I noticed that the new 17t pinion gears' internal thread rebate wasn't large enough to allow the new gear to screw up to the clutch bell correctly, when I went to fit it. It was only 11.85mm ID, I had to ream its diameter out to 12.2mm to allow it to screw on far enough to rest against the clutch bell shoulder, & hence sit parallel. Instead of binding on the thread first! Poor quality control I guess! (The original one I took off had an internal rebate of 12.2mm ID).

On the lube subject, do you use anything else on your rides? Also what parts do you lubricate? New to the R/C scene, My Genny is my first ever - had her for 12 months! & LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE IT!!!!

Sorry I got off the 3rd gear topic a little!

Regards .46NitroAddict [>:]

CEN Genesis LE - Drive It Like You Stole It!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:04 PM

Hi,

Notch, anyone else interested in responding to my last post??

Please.............

.46NitroAddict[>:]
Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 PM

Did this 3rd gear issue get sorted? Coz I think I'm in the same boat. I'm going to lift the truck off the ground and try to feel the changes but I'm pretty sure the only shift I can hear is 1/2, it absolutely boots it off the line and will shift into second after about 10m at full throttle but then no shift to 3, tried leaning out - got more speed and rpm but no shift, I have only tried to adjust the 2/3 shift point a few times and will keep trying for now, I don't really want to tear it all down if its not going to fix it - nor do I want to drill the clutch to add weights as the stock setup works for most people.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:15 PM

ok this is weird but half my manual is missing from the factory, what way do you turn the third gear screws. and is there any easy way to get the allen key in there to turn it. its the screws that are at an angle correct? sorry for the noob questions
Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 PM

Het whitaker, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey applies here. Turn to the right to tighten the clutch(make it shift later) to the left is looser(makes it shift earlier)

Hope this helps-Have fun!!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:50 PM

Yeah I thought mine was missing too, its not, page 31 (inside rear cover) explains both 2nd & 3rd, they're the same setup. They're on an angle and there's two of them, one silver and one black, adjust both to the same approx tension.
Still no 3rd for me, pulled apart the tranny yesterday to inspect as it feels like something is binding inside - I cannot roll the car easily, gets caught/jolts then will roll semi freely. Is this normal? This is my first MT (with centre diff, 3 speed and reverse), was previously running mainly tourers (bit boring now I have my GST )
Old 01-26-2007, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: MONAROMAN

I cannot roll the car easily, gets caught/jolts then will roll semi freely. Is this normal? This is my first MT (with centre diff, 3 speed and reverse), was previously running mainly tourers (bit boring now I have my GST )
MM, check your brake discs, carefully check to see that the discs are not falling over slightly, causing the brake pads to bind. I had this problem on my LE, & it was caused by the pad retainer bolts being set too loose. I adjusted them up a little, which stopped the discs falling over (was only a couple of degrees from verticle - but enough to cause a tight spot), fixing the problem. I assume you have already checked wheel bearings, cdv's dogbones, etc.

Hope this helps, .46NitroAddict[>:]
Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Good call nitroaddict.....Experience is the best teacher!!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Think you could be right nitroaddict gonna strip her down again this evening.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 PM

monaroman,,,he is very right,,just ask him how he nows.....he'll tell ya...lol
Old 01-27-2007, 05:44 AM

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

monaroman,,,he is very right,,just ask him how he nows.....he'll tell ya...lol
Thanks TRD,

Your input & knowledge was much appreciated in helping me solve this problem! (I can't claim all the glory for this solution).

Well Done, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 01-27-2007, 06:03 AM

Thanks .46 nitroaddict and The Real Dogman, I appreciate the help and you were BOTH exactly on the money. Took the beast out to the park this arvo the council had just dumped a HUGE pile of dirt for me to play with [>:] . Was a bit tentative at first but in the end had her getting around 2 mtrs air and landing on a nice little landing ramp (smaller pile of dirt next to it - absolutely perfect length - thanks Blacktown City Council!). Hope its there for a while, might be able to get some pics of the big girl in the air.
Also got sick of blowing out those plastic shocks (oil everywhere! [] ), bought some spares and glued them together on the rears - now its bulletproof. When they break I'll cut em open for the o'rings and shafts and go get some more plastic spares (cheaper than all the shock oil I was wasting)
Old 01-27-2007, 06:41 AM

Hi Monaroman,

Excellent! Glad we could help! Those pics should be good!

I'm about to send you a pm, .46NitroAddict [>:]

Old 01-27-2007, 07:22 AM

Right back at ya
Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the comps, but what I meant when I said "ask him how he(nitro) knows", NitroAddict just went thru that very same issue just recently, so he is very familiar with that problem..and his diagnosis is spot on!! He deserves all of the glory,,I only made a suggestion...

Have fun fellas...
Old 01-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Hi The Real Dogman,

No worries, I still think you deserved a pat on the back, because your suggestion got me thinking. That, (train of thought) was what helped me solve the problem! Thanks.

Happy bashing / Racin', .46NitroAddict [>:]