Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

ORIGINAL: frequent flyer

Building Fiberglass fuselages for the Wild Beat, Aurora 60 & the MK Beetle.

What are you thoughts for these? I had planned to build fuselages with plug in wings so I can add wing adjusters . I would also have foam core wings. Easier to stuff ion the car you know.
Don,

I posted my thoughts/comments on the plug-in wing glass/foam kit concept on Tarquin's Beetle build thread. In retrospect it would have been much better to post those comments here. In short, I agree with your line of thinking. In particular, I like the idea of plug-in wings as it will make the fuse molding and layup easier for you (two piece fuses) as well as allow "wing stubs" to be molded into the fuse. I think the way to go about the fuse plug might be to build a wood fuse as if it were a glass one with the two plug-in wings. You can then add the wing stubs to the fuse to produce the final plug desired.

The easier it is to build the model, the better. Plug-in wings with pre-drilled cores for wing joiner tube as well as servo leads would be a plus. Getting into cutting the cores with the retract wells is something that perhaps might take too much time and labor on your part but if you can find a way to "automate" that, that would be a great plus. I enjoy doing that kind of work but not everybody does and it might move kits off the shelf a little faster to cover the costs of tooling. Just some ideas.

David.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

David
You bring up a good point about the retracts. I guess if I did the plug in wings design one would be limited to air or electric retracts. Mechanical may be a little tough to connect linkage with a two piece wing.... Do you think that most people would be going the route of Air or Electric?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
frequent flyer

ORIGINAL: crankpin

I just found this thread, everything see is good, or great. Plug in wing's on the classic birds, and wing adjuster's ? Certainly a plus. Are you making kit's, etc., on request ?

Crank
All the parts & fuselages that are shown in this thread are available. I will be adding many as time permits and my money.... to make all these molds. I am very close to cutting wing cores for any plane wanted. For those that I make fiberglass fuselages of I will be putting together kits with the fuselages wing pans etc. and the form cores, and plans. I am also in the process of getting all the bulkheads, motor mounts, etc. laser cut for the kits. Most of the kits are Classic Pattern planes that we have saved. Although I will also be doing some modern Pattern planes and a few Giant scale kits. I have built and designed dozens of planes and had major delays because of some special pipe, landing gear, canopy, or whatever has stop or slowed down my builds. I know for a fact that many have experienced the same frustration. I make canopies, pipes, Fiberglass parts and Fuselages, foam cores, and laser cut parts coming very soon. Did I miss anything?
My aim is to eliminate this problem by offering all of these items. As time allows. This is a hobby, although I probably spend far more time in it than most. If you have question about a plane or part you can email me or PM me.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using mechanical retracts on plug in wings is not really a problem. I use those ball/socket connectors and it's no big deal at all.

I figure most folks will buy pneumatic or electric retracts for their project these days, I just happen to have a few sets of mechanical retracts on the shelves so I wanna use them up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tr49380.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1550285   Click image for larger version

Name:	nl29171.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1550286  
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
doxilia

David
You bring up a good point about the retracts. I guess if I did the plug in wings design one would be limited to air or electric retracts. Mechanical may be a little tough to connect linkage with a two piece wing.... Do you think that most people would be going the route of Air or Electric?
Don,

retracts on a plug-in wing are not really an issue. The main concern is to make sure that the joiner tube provides sufficient stiffness to handle the stress of landing but of course you know this. Most builders I suspect would build a glass/foam kit using either electric or pneumatic gear but even if one used mechanicals, it can be done with a plug-in wing.

Check out Jeff's plug-in Aurora scratch build thread and you'll see how he used mechanicals with a single servo mounted in the fuse. I would venture that it is actually easier to use mechanicals with a plug-in wing than it is with a single piece wing. Here's why: with the single piece, the servo has to be mounted in the wing center. Rigging the nose gear pushrod off this servo is quite tricky although it used to be done frequently in days bygone. Nowadays it makes for an easier setup to use two servos. With a plug-in wing, one can actually install the pushrods into the wing panels with a quick disconnect linkage (e.g., Sullivan ball links). The servo in the fuse is rigged permanently to the nose gear while the wing panels have their pushrods clipped into the servo wheel on attachment. The fact that one has access to the fuse radio bay with the wings attached makes for a much easier connection process. Once all is connected: gear, aileron servos, air lines, etc., the belly pan is installed.

Whatever the case, the plug-in wings pose the most difficulty in their interface to the fuse sides. Other than that, they are very nice to deal with in my opinion.

David.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM
frequent flyer

Nice Chuck, great idea. The pictures help a lot!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Don,

If you decide to go with the plug in wings on the Beetle look at the Summit III fuse as how it was done.

One of the early designs that I can remember having plug in wings.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 PM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Has anyone ask for a TigerTail fuse? Dwayne
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 AM
frequent flyer

Not that I know of . Do you have some pictures?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 AM
frequent flyer

After a long process of body work on the plug. I have now completed the mold of the Bootlegger.

Name:	Pn36759.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1,020.4 KB
ID:	1554485  
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: dwaynenancy

Has anyone ask for a TigerTail fuse? Dwayne
Dwayne,
I offered my TTIIIsome time back, didn't seem like much interest but it would be nice to have it should the interest rise.It's got the tail feathers on now so it won't help; do you have one that Don could use if the interest is there?
hook
Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
dwaynenancy

I used to have a Southern R/C kit but I gave it to Ralph DePalma in California. He had some fond memories of the TT with his father. A friend of mine is flying one in San Antonio. It came out in Model Airplane News right after Ron won the Nats.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a long process of body work on the plug. I have now completed the mold of the Bootlegger.

Thank goodness. Got any time to fly next week?
Chris...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 AM
frequent flyer

I'm working on it. I spent alot of time putting together a computer to run my cnc hotwire table. I got that done. I had to build two more glass fuselages...done. I worked on the giant ugly stick .....almost ready. I'm tring Chris......I haven't forgotten.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:27 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm working on it. I spent alot of time putting together a computer to run my cnc hotwire table. I got that done. I had to build two more glass fuselages...done. I worked on the giant ugly stick .....almost ready. I'm tring Chris......I haven't forgotten.

Cool. I noticed the wind is coming up tomorrow so maybe Thursday?
I'll call. My Super Chipmunk TOC thing fell through. Looking for another.
Chris...

Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM
dwaynenancy

I've got 3 Bootleggers one of which just need the equipment installed. Each of them has a dropped stab that was the rage in 1980. I wish I could fly it in the SPA events.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 AM
folke190
My Feedback: (2)

when you make a plug out of the original do you loose the original I have an Atlanta 60 that was flown at the NATS in the mid 80's, about 5 years ago I was landing dead stick down wind at high speed and cliped the runway light and cracked the body at the rear thought about patching it but would be to weak to fly.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
frequent flyer

Hi Folke 190
No, the original is not damaged if it is new and if it was a repaired used subject the only thing that has happen is some of the primer coat that has been applied may peel. But basically nothing to the original. I've been wanting to do the Atlanta for a long time. Do you want to use it as a plug?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
folke190
My Feedback: (2)

Hi don here are some pics of the Atlanta and the crack in the body:

Name:	Ec88428.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1579582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80359.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1579583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23079.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1579584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78184.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1579585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73551.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1579586  
Old 03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
frequent flyer

That's not bad and can be reinforced on the inside. If using it for a plug to make a mold I will need to wet sand and fill the outside to make it perfect, every little thing shows up in the mold. Let me know what you are thinking. Do have any of the plans for the stab and wing size,rudder, airfoil, etc. so I can set up my cnc foam cutter to cut additional cores?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If there is an Aurora 90 fuse and wing short kit Id be interested. Is this topic/project still active?
Id like to make it electric and use electric retracts.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM
frequent flyer

I wish I had that one . I need to find someone with an original fuselage to make a mold. Do you know anyone? I do have an Aurora 60 belly pan, canopy and form cores. But not for the Aurora 90.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have plans I have a buddy that has a laser cutter...enlarge the plans and go from there. Viola, laser cut kits!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
doxilia

Chris,

that sounds easier than it is. Enlarging the plans doesn't automagically produce a laser cut kit... it takes considerable work and time. If you've been there, I'm sure you know.

I've actually picked up the considerable work done by a fellow member on the CAD drafting of the Aurora. However, I have no plans to finish it soon - it's a "when inspired" project.

As Paul pointed out though, there is no larger Aurora 90. What does exist is a modification to the plan to install a four stroke 90 instead of the conventional 2 stroke 60. With 60's like YS's and Hanno's, substituting for a 2 cycle 90 is not particularly desirable (at least to me). There are not that many 90's which have the same kind of options and performance as the pumped 60's. Besides, a pipe for a 90 would likely not fit in the design of the model.

Do you want to scratch build, build in wood from a laser kit, build a wood fuse/foam wings or glass fuse/foam wings?

If you narrow it down, you might get some more focused help.

David.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

If you have plans I have a buddy that has a laser cutter...enlarge the plans and go from there. Viola, laser cut kits!
I like that Viola!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.