Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

wanted: Classic Pattern kit and..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
JohnFH
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanted: Classic Pattern kit and..

Wanted: Classic Pattern Kit that can get me through the first few levels of Classic Pattern, and a club or individuals that wouldn't mind working with someone new to pattern in Connecticut.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:51 AM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: wanted: Classic Pattern kit and..

You might try the Great Planes Kaos .40, John - an inexpensive way to get into "classic pattern".
Flies nicely with a .45 - you may want to consider side-mounting the engine for better fuel draw.

PJ
Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 AM
custombuiltrc
My Feedback: (5)

Check out www.necpo.org I am positive that you will be able to find someone in your area to help you out. It's a great, (and growing) orginization for classic pattern in the northeast area.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
JohnFH

I did check out NECPO.org, no one would tell me where they fly, the response I got was "maybe we will have some events next year", I wanted to actually see Classic Pattern flown, check out a plane or two. And the founder of NECPO is in CT? Must be a secret flying field, or I don't know the secret pattern handshake yet. I fly helis and sailplanes too and never had trouble getting info before.

Funny thing is, if you take the member poll and look at the stats of the poll, most of the people flying pattern are long timers, hardly any new people, so you would think they would try and encourage new people.

I searched a little more and found a few old videos, it looks fun, so I'm going to go ahead build a plane, learn what I can, worst thing I can do is show up and get laughed at for my flying, but everyone had to be new at one time.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:12 PM
pjwright

I'm no youngster, John ... and have flown RC off and on for nearly 40 years. Two years ago was the first time I participated in pattern competition ... not because I was drawn to competition, but because I felt the discipline of competition would improve my skills in other areas. I prefer the "Senior Pattern" approach over "Classic Pattern", since the planes are less sophisticated (and expensive). Retracts and pipes are for folks who are operating at a level beyond which I aspire.

Perhaps if you kept an eye on the event calendar here at RCU, or the sanctioned events in the AMA calendar, you'd find a "classic" event in your area where you could network with others who have gravitated to this discipline.

PJ
Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM
JohnFH

PJ
I'm thinking along the same lines. 30 plus years of RC. I find I like airplanes that actually fly, not hang off the prop.

And I would really like to have a reason or purpose to my flying instead of just making circles and 8's and generally wasting fuel or annoying electrons.

I'm a stuborn old fart too, so I'll find a plane and some place to crash it
Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM
stuntflyr

Hi John,
I'm new to Pattern, just started last year in Classic Pattern. It is a new event, the movement has just started recently. I went to the Classic Pattern contest in Chicago May, 2010. My first R/C contest ever. I flew my new OS 55 AX powered Tower Kaos 40 ARF with only a dozen flights on it in the contest and received help from all whom I asked. In fact, my caller and coach was a new friend I met once I arrived, TOC and US Pattern Team Member Mark Radcliff, he drove in from West Virginia.

I can recommend the Tower Kaos 40 ARF for one's first Classic or SPA model because it is a very good value at 119 dollars, can be flown well on any 40, 45, 46, 52, 55 engine size very well, only needs a muffler, is simple with fixed gear, and has only 4 servos. I don't even take the wing off most of the time. It flies great, is easy to fly. It also flies the sequences very well.

Paul Pappas in CT has just started the NECPO in the last few months and all participants are trying to contribute to the movement by getting the word out, urging other modelers to try it, etc. I am a member of NECPO but live in Los Angeles. The way I figure it, the more I support the teams of Classic Pattern flyers, the more info gets out and interest gets drummed up. I'm sure that any New Englanders flying Classic Pattern will accept you and your interest is appreciated.

As for active flyers, flying sites, etc I would try contacting locals individually for a fruitful search. Perhaps some of the NEPCO members near you. Look around at glow power flying field's local to you and ask around about people flying AMA or Classic Pattern. It took me a while to hook up with some fellows of like minds myself. I even joined NSRCA and flew AMA Pattern this year so I could hone my skills with more flying and competition. I even flew my Classic Kaos for a few contests in AMA Pattern.

Hope you find some Pattern flying friends local to you soon, you guy's flying season is about over!

Chris...
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
JohnFH

Chris,
Thanks, but arf's are out, just a me thing.
I am looking at a couple of planes, one called "Troublemaker" caught my eye, and I can get my hands on a short kit and plans.

I'm going look around a little more, I would prefer a complete kit over a short kit.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
pjwright

I was serious about the Kaos .40, John ... as with most ARF's, it needs some pre-work before you fly: iron out wrinkles, spray with clear Lusterkote, and consider digging into the LG brackets, which may or may not have been glued properly. Although mine flew like a dream, it suffered from chronic fuel-draw problems attributed to the vertical distance between the engine's carb venturi and the fuel tank outlet. Best "fix", from what I later learned, is to mount the engine sideways (some more pre-work). I was using a Tower Pro .46 ... another engine might not exhibit that problem.

Practicing the pattern is, I believe, more important than getting the "right" plane. I followed the [link=http://www.seniorpattern.com/pdf/SPA%20Competitors%20Giude%202011-2012.pdf]SPA "Novice" routine[/link] on anything I was flying two years ago ... just to imprint the sequence, and of course improve my ability to fly the maneuver. A "Big Stik" would be a good plane to practice with.

My two cents...

PJ
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
stuntflyr

Understood, John. Just saw you're a long time modeler. Me too, just new to R/C. There are complete vintage full kits of yore available on eBay, if you're of a mind. I've bought a lot of good stuff from eBay, some don't like it though. I check the kit manufacturing names and just under Pattern.
There is a Mach 1 on RCU right now.
RCGroups often sees vintage Classic Pattern kits for sale, too.
I'm into the glass and foam kits, myself.
Troublemaker is a good looking model. Short kits aren't bad, you get to pick your own wood density at least!
Hope you find something that fits your bill, and post some pictures of it because we all love pictures of guys new models.
Chris...
Old 10-25-2011, 02:56 PM
stuntflyr

Hi John,
BTW, here is a neat link that has a picture of about every Classic pattern ship on it.
http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/pattern1.htm
Chris...
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
JohnFH

PJ
I fully understand where your coming from, I'm just old school, I still use Tite-Bond to build airplanes.

And as you commented about the gear blocks might need work, I always have this nagging feeling with an arf, that they just didn't do it the way I would like it done.

If your happy with the plane you fly, then it's the right plane for you, and that's great, fly the wings off it. I can practice the patterns with my more "modern" pattern plane(that is what got me looking at pattern in the first place), but if I'm going to invest the time in getting into "Classic Pattern", I want it to be something I like.

*Chris, that is the web site that got me into so much trouble to begin with "
Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM
stuntflyr

I hear you loud and clear, John. I went from an RCM Trainer to these in just 3 short years!
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98420.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1678699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72251.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1678700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50474.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1678701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22895.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	1678702  
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
JohnFH

Wow Circus Hobby pink, makes you think of pepto....

I like the lines on the orange and blue plane
Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
JohnFH

This is what I currently have for a pattern plane, this is Hirobo's picture, I haven't put all those decals on mine.

But it doesn't qualify for Classic
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

John,

I don't know where youfound plans and a short kit for the Trouble Maker, but Eureka Aircraft Co. has plans and short kits in both foam and build up wing and stab configurations. I have never flown the Trouble Maker but it is easy to see why it caught your eye. Beautiful plane!

Bill
Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 PM
JohnFH

Bill
That is where I found it, if nothing else pops up, I guess I'll place an order in the morning.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
stuntflyr

I like that model, John.
The Tipo is my favorite right now, too.
Chris...

Name:	Yw68511.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1678720  
Old 10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
JollyPopper

I too am looking at the line up Eureka Models has in pattern planes. I am going to build one over the winter and intend to get it (short kit) from Eureka. I just have not decided on which one. They offer some real classics.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Gypsy56

I have a Sweetater Deluxe kit from Southern RC Products new in box. I might be willing to part with it if You're interested, but I have no idea what it is worth.

Ed
Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my 2 cents. This in not exactly a kit, but it is a quickie. Unless you want to take some time to build, if you are a fast good builder, work 24/7, you can probably get a kit ready to go, 10 days, or take a look at the World Models Intruder ARF. You can build and fly right out of the box, or strip and recover it with your favorite finish. Good pilots, win with these birds, not to say they keep them, but for a start up, you can't beat the price, $200.00. Included here a few pictures, stock and recovered. You can make some mod's, to beef up some areas.

Crank

Name:	Lj22279.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1678905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26217.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1678906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49706.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1678907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37768.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1678908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86355.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1678909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy50635.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1678910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji78661.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1678912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu92086.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1678913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25928.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1678914  
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 AM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

John,

Check out the Mach I as well. That's one I did fly back in 1975, and it was a terrific plane. Looks great too!

Bill

PS- There is a Midwest nib kit of the Mach I on the RCU Buy/Sell sight. It's a bit pricey though.

Bye-Bye
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM
JohnFH

Crankpin
Thanks for the suggestion, arf's are just not an option for me. If I'm going to compete I feel I shouild be doing it with a plane I put together myself, thats just me.

We are just entering building season in the NorthEast, so I have no problem building a kit, and that is what I actually prefer. I just stocked up on Tite Bond and epoxy for the winter too.

Just want to add, I have a pattern plane to fly now, so I do have something to practice with, it just does not qualify for "Classic Pattern" and that is what I would really like to do.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK John. I am 71, still trying to get just half or 25% of my groove back.

Crank
Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 AM
gkaraolides

Hi,

ORIGINAL: billberry189
Check out the Mach I as well. [...] There is a Midwest nib kit of the Mach I on the RCU Buy/Sell sight. It's a bit pricey though.
No need to buy old kits at collectors prices to get a Mach 1 kit:

[link=http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/machone.htm]Eureka offer a short kit of the Mach 1[/link] with foam cores for the wing and stab. It is also possible to buy the kit without the foam cores, or the foam cores for the wing and/or the stab individually as required.

[link=http://www.lasercutusa.com/New_Events.html]Lasercut are developing a Mach 1 kit[/link] with built up wing and stab. Apparently [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10738849/tm.htm]the kit for the built up wing and stab is ready.[/link]

There was also a [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8532968/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]thread of a test build of a proposed laser cut kit for the Mach 1 from yet another supplier[/link] with built up wings once again, but the build thread is as yet incomplete and I have no idea what became of that kit project.

Best regards,

George

(Edited to correct a mistake in one of the links)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.