Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Rossi engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rossi engine

Aha! I love those models BTW, Speed.
Chris...
Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
energyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SpeedRacer,

I just checked my records and discovered that the new Rossi 240R60, which is the long strokewith 10mm carbhas tested at 13,400 rpm with the JS-90, APC 11x9 prop,and 5% Omega. This compares to 13,000 rpm for the older Rossi 60 short stroke and 8mm carbwith the same APC 11x9 prop and full length Mac pipe and header. Ialso tested the older Rossi the same day with the JS-90 and the same prop and got 12,500 rpm. For what it's worth, this prop is about 15 years old. I don't know if the current APC props are exactly the same.

You could pull the head on the Rossi and measure the bore and stroke to determine if the Rossi is short or long stroke. I recall SG selling rear exhaust 61's about two years ago but cannot recall for sure but I don't believe they were advertised as long stroke engines. The current 60 side exhaust engine is the 35R60E which is a short stroke engine with a bore of 23.9mm and stroke of 22mm.

You might try this in the air and see how it works. By the way, what is the name of the plane you are racing? It looks fast sitting on the ground. Keep us informed how this works if you try the 11x9.

Danny
Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Performance with the 11x9 is pretty impressive. Well done.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 AM
kiwi4
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rossi performance upgrade

There used to be a vendor on the web advertising performance-enhancing modifications to the Rossi engines ,does anybody remember where that’s at I cannot seem to find it anymore. Kiwi4
Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow, an old thread that I had forgotten about. SGM in Southern California were selling what they referred to as factory modded .45 size engines. All that was is them shot peening the crank after cutting a flute into the counterbalance. That flute was just a cutout that cleaned up the pathway of the incoming fuel/air as it exited the back of the crank.

The blue airplane with the pink trim did work out for me quite well. The final configuration was a 9" header that was made from 7/8" tubing along with a full length Macs muffled pipe. I reworked the head to allow 20% nitro and fit a 13mm carb from a Picco .80 DF engine. On the ground and off the pipe the engine would spin an APC 11x11 at 12K. Once in the air it would unload and come onto the pipe and it was like someone hit the NOS button. I won a local season championship with that engine and airplane combo. The engine was identified as a Rossi 2x3 long stroke. Eventually I had to jump to the YS 115 to remain competitive.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM
skooterII

Maybe Jim Hotts.